THX1965

Blu-ray On Dvd-r - Menus Don't Work

Question

I can't get menus to work on DVD-R Blu-ray discs. I don't have a Blu-ray burner, so I want to take advantage of creating small Blu-ray projects on regular DVD-R's.

It only works when I turn auto-play on, so the movie is started automatically when putting the Blu-ray-DVD-R into the player. The movie plays fine but when it's done, the screen is stuck on black. It does not go to the menu that I picked. In order to play the title again, I have to eject the DVD and put it back in. I am using a brand new Sony BDPS-350 Blu-ray player.

If I create the same disc without the auto-play option, there is no way I can get the movie to play at all.

When people say Blu-ray menus now work in Toast 10 - does that mean they work for real Blu-ray discs and just not for Blu-ray/DVD-R's?

If someone got this to work, I'd be very curious to find out if I am doing something wrong.

I can't get menus to work on DVD-R Blu-ray discs. I don't have a Blu-ray burner, so I want to take advantage of creating small Blu-ray projects on regular DVD-R's.

It only works when I turn auto-play on, so the movie is started automatically when putting the Blu-ray-DVD-R into the player. The movie plays fine but when it's done, the screen is stuck on black. It does not go to the menu that I picked. In order to play the title again, I have to eject the DVD and put it back in. I am using a brand new Sony BDPS-350 Blu-ray player.

If I create the same disc without the auto-play option, there is no way I can get the movie to play at all.

When people say Blu-ray menus now work in Toast 10 - does that mean they work for real Blu-ray discs and just not for Blu-ray/DVD-R's?

If someone got this to work, I'd be very curious to find out if I am doing something wrong.

I have the same problem. I do have a Blu ray burner. I have Toast 10 Pro.

I made my Blu Ray with first play a movie. That worked. I made a Menu for 3 films.

That is working on my Playstation 3.

But when I play the Blu Ray in a Sony BDPS-350 it is als working (first play a movie) on the end of the movie it play's the next movie.

But it doesn't acces the Menu.

Even when I push the menu button on the remote of the Sony BDPS-350 it just doesn't work.

And on the Playstation 3 it does work.

Why not on the most selling Blu Ray player from Sony they BDPS-350?

My first Blu Ray encoded DVD menu worked, my second did not. I'm using a Sony BDP-550. The first menu was Warp (worked) the second was Satin (did not work).

I also burned a regular DVD with the satin menu and it sort of worked, but the highlighting boxes were the wrong size and location to cover the "buttons." Also this DVD wouldn't play the chapters in order, it kept reverting back to earlier chapters, very strange behavior.

Any ideas?

From what I am reading (here and elsewhere on the web) - Toast still has major problems with menus and Blu-ray - especially when using a regular DVD-R.

Let's hope the right people at Roxio are reading this and will issue an update soon. I mean, they're advertising the Blu-ray capability of Toast 10 big time. Please! Get this fixed! Toast 10 is (along with the much more expensive Adobe Encore) the only way to make Blu-ray discs on a Mac right now.

From what I am reading (here and elsewhere on the web) - Toast still has major problems with menus and Blu-ray - especially when using a regular DVD-R.

I suppose I should have mentioned both discs I burned were on DVD+RW media.

I am having the same menu problems using DVD-R and can't even get a burn on BD-RE discs. I'm using a Sony BDP- 550 for playback. I updated my Mac OS to Leopard, but it had no effect on my problems. Is anyone getting menus to work on Toast 10?

Edited by Videoberry

I am waiting for an official statement by Roxio that Blu-ray menus do have serious issues. Why release something that's clearly not working 100%?

Roxio sent me an email with a list of steps to take which included the deletion of a number of folders. After following all of their steps, some of the windows looked different when I restarted Toast 10, but I still have no menus. I just get a yellow box on a black screen.

My latest response from Roxio states that they are working on a fix and to wait for an update.

Could you tell me the exact quote? I am going through the usual troubleshooting steps myself with Roxio at the moment, but my contact person over there seems to be unaware of any fix that's in the works. He even tried to tell me that burning a Blu-ray title onto a regular DVD-R was not supported at all. So I had to send him a quote from their own website regarding Blu-ray on DVD-R's with Toast...

Here is what they sent to me.

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

This is an issue that we are currently researching a fix for. Please check our website for any available update to your version of Toast.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/software_...es/default.html

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

Are you able to get menus to work? I can burn an auto start blu-ray on a DVD-R, but cannot burn a BD-RE at all.

Thanks for sharing this quote with us. It's good that they finally seem to admit that there is a problem. And no, I could not get menus to work at all. Autoplay is the only way to get a blu-ray movie onto a DVD-R for now, at least for me on my Sony Blu-ray player.

Thanks for sharing this quote with us. It's good that they finally seem to admit that there is a problem. And no, I could not get menus to work at all. Autoplay is the only way to get a blu-ray movie onto a DVD-R for now, at least for me on my Sony Blu-ray player.

Could it be partially media related, or menu style related? I've used verbatim DVD+DL with mixed success, Philips DVD+RW with mixed success, and memorex DVD-R with no success.

I've also used the warp and satin menus.

I would love to hear about a fix....or even a workaround!

I've tried a number of different blu-ray discs and found that none of the BD-RE discs will work, but the BD-R discs do work. However, none of the different menus work. I just get the yellow box on a black screen. I can't image how a company could put a product on the market that just plain doesn't work and tell us to wait for a fix.

What kind of Blu-ray players are you guys using? Roxio tech support got back to me saying the missing menus have to do with the Sony BDP-S350 in particular. And yes, they are working on a fix. Do we happen to use the same player?

I am using a Sony BDP-550 player which is probably very similar to the 350. My inability to burn BD-RE discs, however, is unrelated to the kind of player I am using. Possibly it's because I am using a Mac?

I am using a Sony BDP-550 player which is probably very similar to the 350. My inability to burn BD-RE discs, however, is unrelated to the kind of player I am using. Possibly it's because I am using a Mac?

We're all using Macs. Toast is Roxio's DVD burning software for the Mac.

What kind of Blu-ray players are you guys using? Roxio tech support got back to me saying the missing menus have to do with the Sony BDP-S350 in particular. And yes, they are working on a fix. Do we happen to use the same player?

Does the recent toast patch fix this problem?

I've tried the newest update and it still won't work. All I can do is make auto start discs. If I understand correctly, this is a problem with Toast and Sony blu-ray players. So people using other brands of blu-ray players don't have these problems?

I must say that Toast 10's menus on a short-duration BD, burnt onto a DVD-RW, played in a Panasonic BD-35 work for me OK.

Edited by mooblie

I must say that Toast 10's menus on a short-duration BD, burnt onto a DVD-RW, played in a Panasonic BD-35 work for me OK.

I'm using a Samsung BD-1500 and it cannot read any AVCHD (Blu-ray on DVD) disks with menus. I haven't tried an autoplay disk.

I also own a Sony BDP-550 blu-ray player, and can't get the menus to work when I burn a BD-RE. Works fine when I burn it with the No Menu option...

Does the recent toast patch fix this problem?

No - I just tried again with Toast 10.1, and again got the "yellow box"

stuck over the last frame of the movie (if I used auto-play), or over black

(if I didn't use auto-play). I use the BDP-S350

Edited by dagnome

I have ordered a 100' ethernet cable so that I can update the firmware on my Sony BDP-550. I'll let you know if that fixes the menu problem once it arrives.