Blu-ray On Dvd-r - Menus Don't Work

THX1965

Question

I can't get menus to work on DVD-R Blu-ray discs. I don't have a Blu-ray burner, so I want to take advantage of creating small Blu-ray projects on regular DVD-R's.

It only works when I turn auto-play on, so the movie is started automatically when putting the Blu-ray-DVD-R into the player. The movie plays fine but when it's done, the screen is stuck on black. It does not go to the menu that I picked. In order to play the title again, I have to eject the DVD and put it back in. I am using a brand new Sony BDPS-350 Blu-ray player.

If I create the same disc without the auto-play option, there is no way I can get the movie to play at all.

When people say Blu-ray menus now work in Toast 10 - does that mean they work for real Blu-ray discs and just not for Blu-ray/DVD-R's?

If someone got this to work, I'd be very curious to find out if I am doing something wrong.

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear All.

I was in my local AV store, looking to buy a new blu-ray player that will play AVCHD discs.

I took with me a couple of discs that I created with Toast 10, most players menus worked including Yamaha, Panasonic, Denon, Sony PS3, however the Pioneers and Sony's "didn't"

What I have found, when you create the disc and you hit "auto play" on insert, the disc will play on any machine.

Hope this helps?

Yes it does help. The Menus and chapter handling are separate bugs. Menus work on some Blu-ray players, chapters imported from editors do not work on AVC discs at all. Do you have model numbers of the players you tested? Did you check any Samsungs? Perhaps we should start a list of working models, features and S/W revisions. It doesn't appear that Roxio will do that for us. Apple has a list of camcorders compatible with iMacs and their S/W. Similar list would be helpful here.

PS3 - AVC/Blu-ray works - Menus work - imported chapters don't - all S/W revisions.

The disc's tested had menu's only, with no chapter markers.

Working Models Tested.

Yamaha BDS2900

Panasonic DMPBD30

Panasonic DMPBD60

Panasonic DMPBD80

Denon DVD3800BD

Sony PS3

Non Working Models.

Sony BDP-S350

Sony BDP-S550

Pioneer BDP-51FD

Pioneer BDPLX71

Pioneer BDPLX08

All models would play content, if the auto play on insert is activated.

I have been in touch with Pioneer UK, about this issue, they have asked me to send them a disc to try out, as they are not sure themselves why some machines work but there's don't, they may be able to provide a firmware update.

I will keep you posted.

Short answer for everyone above:

Yes, there are some players mentioned above that BROKE AVCHD playback for many discs, not just Toast created ones.

For the players showing black menus with the yellow highlight but no background, a fix will be in the next Toast update that also adds full Snow Leopard compatibility.

Thanks for sharing this quote with us. It's good that they finally seem to admit that there is a problem. And no, I could not get menus to work at all. Autoplay is the only way to get a blu-ray movie onto a DVD-R for now, at least for me on my Sony Blu-ray player.

I must say that Toast 10's menus on a short-duration BD, burnt onto a DVD-RW, played in a Panasonic BD-35 work for me OK.

I'm using a Samsung BD-1500 and it cannot read any AVCHD (Blu-ray on DVD) disks with menus. I haven't tried an autoplay disk.

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has an update. patatrox indicated about a month ago that Roxio would be testing the Sony menu problems with forum members.

Has anyone tested a solution? And I'm interested in the chapter issue as well.

You could downloaded it yourself.

But patatrox did say there would be a second beta 10.0.3b2 (first week of june) but there is still b1

I can't get menus to work on DVD-R Blu-ray discs. I don't have a Blu-ray burner, so I want to take advantage of creating small Blu-ray projects on regular DVD-R's.

It only works when I turn auto-play on, so the movie is started automatically when putting the Blu-ray-DVD-R into the player. The movie plays fine but when it's done, the screen is stuck on black. It does not go to the menu that I picked. In order to play the title again, I have to eject the DVD and put it back in. I am using a brand new Sony BDPS-350 Blu-ray player.

If I create the same disc without the auto-play option, there is no way I can get the movie to play at all.

When people say Blu-ray menus now work in Toast 10 - does that mean they work for real Blu-ray discs and just not for Blu-ray/DVD-R's?

If someone got this to work, I'd be very curious to find out if I am doing something wrong.

I have the same problem. I do have a Blu ray burner. I have Toast 10 Pro.

I made my Blu Ray with first play a movie. That worked. I made a Menu for 3 films.

That is working on my Playstation 3.

But when I play the Blu Ray in a Sony BDPS-350 it is als working (first play a movie) on the end of the movie it play's the next movie.

But it doesn't acces the Menu.

Even when I push the menu button on the remote of the Sony BDPS-350 it just doesn't work.

And on the Playstation 3 it does work.

Why not on the most selling Blu Ray player from Sony they BDPS-350?

I'm using a Pioneer BDP-05FD (same as the BDP-55); I get the blank screen after "load" and all it says is "play" and DVD-R AVCHD. I haven't tried autoplay yet. Firmware is up to date 1.25 as of Jan 09.

It plays perfectly in my Sony Playstation III (latest firmware).

I'm loading 10.01 update as I write this. Maybe it fixes it, but it is not noted to be fixed in the update log.

I'm using MAC OS X 10.5.6.

Eddie O

I can tell you in advance, it won't make a difference. I've got the bdp-05fd and 10.0.1, doesn't help..

I have however opened a support ticket with roxio, but until now none of their suggestions have helped.

I think its best if we all opened up support tickets, because i believe roxio isnt aware of these problems/bugs with toast.

I just burned my first Blu-ray disc using Toast Titanium (not Pro) with the plugin. I took several EyeTV recordings and used the Mystic menu option checking both "Auto-play disc on insert" and "play all items continuously". The disc plays fine, but pressing the menu button does nothing. When I go to the last video on the disc, it automatically loops and plays the first video. I'm using a Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray player. I opened a ticket with Roxio and will post if they have any ideas, but from what I've read so far, it sounds like it is what it is.

-Jon

p.s. One cool thing: Before I burned the TV episodes to disc, I used EyeTV to remove all the commercials. Toast recognized those break points and automatically put chapter marks there. Very nice.

Update: While the menu button does nothing, I have a second button on my remote called, "Top Menu", and that does in fact bring up the Toast menu screen.

-Jon

I can tell you in advance, it won't make a difference. I've got the bdp-05fd and 10.0.1, doesn't help..

I have however opened a support ticket with roxio, but until now none of their suggestions have helped.

I think its best if we all opened up support tickets, because i believe roxio isnt aware of these problems/bugs with toast.

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

Currently, there are still a number of unresolved technical issues resulting from the multitude of non-standardized BluRay encryptions. Therefore, it cannot yet be guaranteed that all BluRay content can play on all BluRay hardware or can be recognized by all BluRay software across the board.

Our engineering department is working on a solution to this problem. In the meantime we would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://support.roxio.com

So it seems for now we will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for a fix, but considering this problem was already present in toast 9(and still is), don't bet on the release of a fix we all are hoping for....

Perhaps the people from roxio only test their products on a ps3 ?

What kind of Blu-ray players are you guys using? Roxio tech support got back to me saying the missing menus have to do with the Sony BDP-S350 in particular. And yes, they are working on a fix. Do we happen to use the same player?

Does the recent toast patch fix this problem?

I am another one having trouble with Toast 10's Blu Ray menus. I am experiencing exactly the same problems as previously mentioned. I updated my Sony BDP-S350 from the Sony website, burned an ISO disk and followed the prompts for updating (Sony will send you a CD of the update for free if you call them, according to their website.) Previously, the player would not play DVD-R Blue Ray encoded disks at all. It does now, but again not without menu problems. I imported a 16 minute wedding video from FCP with 4 chapter markers. The markers don't show up on the Sony player and there is virtually no control over the DVD except for play and still and stop. My movie does play all the way through, then go back to the beginning automatically.

I am wondering if there is a way of making your own chapter markers in Toast manually? I tried Automatic and also just 3 markers but neither one works!

The picture quality of the DVD is pretty good and without the little dancing aliasing that I see on a regular DVD. Obviously Roxio needs to do another update, fix the problems and provide more control over menu building and chapter markers!

These kind of troubles got me scouring the net and finding that Blu Ray ain't doing too well and that other methods of video delivery may soon become more popular such as the web and cable. There also seems to be a lot of interest in Apple TV. Can this unit provide a solution? I see you can get a 40 GB for about $100...writable HD....

Greytail

So Roxio is saying it's Sony and Pioneer's fault, and that Roxio has a workaround.

If my BD player has some faulty firmware I'd want to take it back to get one that handled AVCHD properly.

Good think I bought it at Costco.

<!--quoteo(post=291098:date=Sep 18 2009, 09:40 PM:name=patatrox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (patatrox @ Sep 18 2009, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=291098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Short answer for everyone above:

Yes, there are some players mentioned above that BROKE AVCHD playback for many discs, not just Toast created ones.

For the players showing black menus with the yellow highlight but no background, a fix will be in the next Toast update that also adds full Snow Leopard compatibility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're aware of these issues and working to resolve them, that said this absolutely doesn't occur on all (or most) players. In some cases firmware updates have introduced this behavior which is why we see this issue more recently and it was not prevalent in the Toast 9 product cycle. We may need more information on this in the near future but we do have a player in house which exhibits this issue and we are working on it.

Are you saying that there are Sony BDP-350's and Sony BDP-550's, etc. out there that WILL work with Toast 10, or are you referring to all the other brands? This problem hasn't been resolved in the last three months. Can you estimate how much longer it will take for you to come up with a fix?

Archived