• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

juancarlos

Should I Purchase Toast 10 Titanium?

Question

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm starting with my music studio recording and I have problems with the sound quallity of my CDs. I use the highest resolution for recording and mastering (96 kHz, 32 bit) and still it sounds very poor in te CD.

The question is:

Will I improve the cd sound quallity with the Toast 10 Titanium?

I work with iMac Leopard, Digital Performer 6, external midi devices, Motu Audio Interface an I use the Apple's factory program to burn the CDs.

Thanks, you know how important sound quallity is in this bussines.

juan carlos

8 answers to this question

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm starting with my music studio recording and I have problems with the sound quality of my CDs. I use the highest resolution for recording and mastering (96 kHz, 32 bit) and still it sounds very poor in te CD.

The question is:

I work with iMac Leopard, Digital Performer 6, external midi devices, Motu Audio Interface an I use the Apple's factory program to burn the CDs.

juan carlos

Hi Juan -

First, I will say that Toast 10 is a great application. It has great features and incorporates Jam for getting your music and tracks prepared for Redbook standards, not available in anything by Apple. Pretty much every pro audio guy I know who uses a Mac owns it.

That said, I don't think it will clear up your audio issues.

You have two possible failures happening here:

1) You may need to update your firmware. Apple or the manufacturer should provide a firmware update to your burner.

2) Output: I'm not sure of your audio skill set, so I'll just start with my best guess. I hope you don't take it as condencending :)

How does an MP3 created from the source files sound? Try just using 256 kbps as it's acceptable quality. If it sounds the same as your source file on your studio computer, then take the MP3s and put them on another computer and check for distortion/quality.

If you are using a LOT of compression (like a limiter) or amping your volume to above 95 db in the digital format, you may encounter distortion/nastiness that may not be audible in your studio, but sound a bit funky in a more consumer playback system.

This issue was famously made apparent with the Volume levels of Metallica's "Death Magnetic".

If this isn't the issue, then we have another conversation on the way ;)

Hope this helps,

Jon

Thanx Jon,

I've just checked the version firmware of my burner and it seems to be the most recent. In the other hand, I render my music from an iMac Leopard trhu a Motu 896mk3 (Audiointerface) via firewire to Digital Performer 6 (recording software) in an iMac Tiger via S/PDIF optical and my mix sounds great in the headphones (plugged to the Tiger), the problem is (I think) when I burn the CD.

I don't use MP3 for working (I only use AIFF), I've changed the importing preferences in iTunes to "Apple Lossless" and still sounds like a 70´s extremelly bad recorded cassette.

Could it be the iTunes or the factory burner (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875)?

juan carlos

Edited by juancarlos

Thanx Jon,

I've just checked the version firmware of my burner and it seems to be the most recent. In the other hand, I render my music from an iMac Leopard trhu a Motu 896mk3 (Audiointerface) via firewire to Digital Performer 6 (recording software) in an iMac Tiger via S/PDIF optical and my mix sounds great in the headphones (plugged to the Tiger), the problem is (I think) when I burn the CD.

I don't use MP3 for working (I only use AIFF), I've changed the importing preferences in iTunes to "Apple Lossless" and still sounds like a 70´s extremelly bad recorded cassette.

Could it be the iTunes or the factory burner (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875)?

juan carlos

Hi Juan -

I agree with working only in AIFF. I generally use SDII (I own a Pro Tools rig myself)...importing preferences, eh?

How does the file from exported from Digital Performer sound by itself? Try a standard CD quality export as an experiment, not a high res bounce. Then reimport that bounced file into your DP session and see if it still sounds good. If it does, then bring into iTunes without converting and see if it still sounds good.

My guess it maybe high bit/sample rate you mentioned earlier. If you plan on having these tracks professionally mastered, many facilities will only take CD sample/rates and will request you down convert. Also, many facilities alos require that your tracks be at -20 dBu RMS.

But I am just guessitmating what you have... :)

Jon

Hi Jon,

Right on the target! The bounced soundbite sounds horrible, so, I used the recorded audiofile not the bounced one and burned it directly in standard formats (44.1kHz-24bit) and it has improved dramatically, thanks for that one.

Almost finish.

So, do you think, if I also use Toast 10 Titunium (for burning) will it be better or won't be much difference in the final delivery? Maybe that should be the real title of this post.

Thanks again

Regards

Hi Jon,

Right on the target! The bounced soundbite sounds horrible, so, I used the recorded audiofile not the bounced one and burned it directly in standard formats (44.1kHz-24bit) and it has improved dramatically, thanks for that one.

Almost finish.

So, do you think, if I also use Toast 10 Titunium (for burning) will it be better or won't be much difference in the final delivery? Maybe that should be the real title of this post.

Thanks again

Regards

No sweat, Juan.

Again, if you don't already have Toast, I think it's worth getting. I've been using Toast since version 4 and before I worked for Roxio. We have a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee from the Roxio eStore (Sorry, I work fro Roxio, so therefore I most schill :P )

As for the quality of a burned disc from your files: not really.

There are theories abound about quality vs. burning and the one that I stuck to was burning at the lowest possible speed for important deliveries. I used to be able to tell the difference between a disc burned at 1x and one 20x, but error and buffer correction has improved enough in burners these days it's harder to tell.

If you are delivering to a mastering facility, you will be generally be delivering the files in CD quality format (44.1k/16 bit), but not as an audio disc. Some places may take an audio CD, but will charge you labor for extracting.

Good luck,

Jon

Toast 10 sample rate conversion still has the same high frequency artifacts that have existed since Toast 8.

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm starting with my music studio recording and I have problems with the sound quallity of my CDs. I use the highest resolution for recording and mastering (96 kHz, 32 bit) and still it sounds very poor in te CD.

The question is:

juan carlos

Can Toast 10 convert a file that is in H.264/AVC Transport Stream format with AC3 Dolby audio, (Appears as .MTS in a grey icon with the word EXEC on it) to iMovie8 in a MACBOOKPRO?

Can Toast 10 convert and run such a file for use within Toast 10?

Is there another way to get the files out of the SONY so they appear as a more common file format?

Current software/hardware

SONY HDR-SR11

Quicktime 7 PRO

iMovie8

Thank you anyone who can answer any one of these questions. -Brian