making me use retrieve but I never split discs

kthynoll

Hello.

I used to have creator 4. I burned a disc then of text files. I viewed the disc many times and it was fine. Now I have creator 6. That same disc I am not able to open now. I put it in and it says I must use Roxio Retrieve to open it. It wants me to insert a second disc. There is no second disc, there never was. Now what do I do? I need an important file and I can't open it.

Thank you.

Also.

Did anyone else ever have the problem where more than half the time I put a disc in and it doesn't acknowledge it at all. I go to click on my E drive and it says I need to insert a disc. So it's not even acknowledging there is a disc already in. Sometimes I have to open/eject and close the tray with the disc 10 times before it will read it. Other times, putting a different one in that registers, then going back to that one will get it to work. It's really bad. Taking too much time to do something that should WORK.

Hello.

I used to have creator 4. I burned a disc then of text files. I viewed the disc many times and it was fine. Now I have creator 6. That same disc I am not able to open now. I put it in and it says I must use Roxio Retrieve to open it. It wants me to insert a second disc. There is no second disc, there never was. Now what do I do? I need an important file and I can't open it.

Thank you.

Also.

Did anyone else ever have the problem where more than half the time I put a disc in and it doesn't acknowledge it at all. I go to click on my E drive and it says I need to insert a disc. So it's not even acknowledging there is a disc already in. Sometimes I have to open/eject and close the tray with the disc 10 times before it will read it. Other times, putting a different one in that registers, then going back to that one will get it to work. It's really bad. Taking too much time to do something that should WORK.

Er ... how did you create this disc - with DataDisc, or did you make the MISTAKE of formatting the disc?

And, while we ae at it - did you use CD-R or CD-RW?

Lynn

Er ... how did you create this disc - with DataDisc, or did you make the MISTAKE of formatting the disc?

And, while we ae at it - did you use CD-R or CD-RW?

Lynn

Hi Lynn. All of my CD's are Rewriteable that I'm having problems opening. So they have been written on and erased a few times. Is that what formatting means?

However, the one that I need to open now (that Roxio is saying I need to use retrieve for, and insists I have a second disc and won't open without it) is not rewriteable. It's a 52 x high speed Ritek CD-R

Hi Lynn. All of my CD's are Rewriteable that I'm having problems opening. So they have been written on and erased a few times. Is that what formatting means?

However, the one that I need to open now (that Roxio is saying I need to use retrieve for, and insists I have a second disc and won't open without it) is not rewriteable. It's a 52 x high speed Ritek CD-R

First addressing the question of CD-RWs:

• CD-Rs are created as the laser "cooks" a dye to set the pits and lands. It isn't quite as stable as a commeracially pressed CD (which has the pits and lands physically pressed into the metal), but still quite stable.
  • CD-RWs are created as the laser melts and re-crystalizes an aluminum alloy (at a lower temperature) to create the pits and the lands. The alloy promptly starts to de-crystalize, taking all the data with it. CD-RWs are fine for testing, because they can be erased and reused, BUT they are a ROTTEN choice for something you want to keep.

So probably the CD-RWs are failing or have failed. You can try one of the recovery programs, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Both have a "trial" version that will let you see if anything is recoverable before you have to pay.

And you can erase the CD-RWs and re-use them. :)

Second addessing the question of formatting:

Many people make what I call "Basic False Analogy" - you format the floppy before you use the floppy, therefore you format the CD-R or CD-RW before you use it. This means you have a disc ready for Packet-Writing, which works like drag-and-drop (like a floppy). Packet-Written optical media is at best "fussy" about being read by the same conditions that created it, and at worst refuses to be read at all. (Time for the recovery programs, again.)

If you didn't format the disc, it could still be failing. About the only suggestion I have is - yes, try one of the recovery programs.

Let us know how it goes.

Lynn

In Version 4 formating was used in a program called Direct CD. In Version 6 its called Drag to Disc (D2D).

In Version 4 if you used a plain (out of the box cd) you would have used the Data CD Project and in Version 6 this is called Creator Classic.

FYI

DirectCD is packet writing software and provides the ability to burn and copy files on cd media using drag & drop actions in Windows Explorer similar to working with floppy or hard disc drives. This requires formatting the cd media in DirectCD before you can use it in this way. In order to read one of these cd’s on a computer which does not have DirectCD installed, you must have a udf reader installed on that computer. The first time you insert a cd made in the fashion described above on a computer which does not have the udf reader installed, it will offer to install the udf reader. There are options to close the DirectCD media so it can be read on any computer (without the udf reader). DirectCD made discs can be very fussy and unreliable. It doesn’t seem to take much to cause them to become unreadable and require erasing and reformatting. It is especially important to always use keyboard commands to eject a DirectCD disc so the program has a chance to finish any writing processes it has remaining. Always eject a DirectCD disc from your burner before shutting down the computer for the same reason.

The DataCD Project process does not use formatted media, and works much like other Easy Cd Creator Project activities. You would design and build a project layout, and then burn that project to a cd. The best approach is to finalize session, don’t finalize cd, so you can add more files later on, if you choose. Whenever you add a session later, you must remember to import previous session or you will lose the pointers to the files in earlier sessions. A cd made in this fashion is usable on most any computer

Retrieve is required in 2 scenarios with Classic.

1. If you have spanned discs using 2 or more.

2. If you used Encryption.

To help sort this out, place the disc in your drive and use Explorer to examine its' contents. What do you see in the way of Folders and Files on that disc?

As far as recognizing discs, this is a firmware issue between your drive and XP. Check to see if there is a firmware flash available for that drive.

Well, I tried both retrieve programs. They only show exactly what I can see when I try to open the disk myself. I see folders and I can open those and look at pictures... I see everything on this disk EXCEPT what I really need. There are about 50 text files I made in MS Word/Works. Those are shown in Retrieve and if I click on them to retrieve them it says it'll do it after I insert the second disk. Again - there IS NO second disk. I've never used two disks for a backup. Plus, this is the only CD-R - non-rewriteable disk I've ever owned and I specifically put those files on it because I knew I needed to save them forever and would not be erasing them. So I have NO idea why it insists I need to insert a second disk.

Both of those retrieve programs show just the folders and pictures, not even the icons of the text files I need that are shown in Roxio Retrieve. When I try to open in MS Works it also just shows the folders and not the text files I need.

I considered trying to find my old Roxio program online to download it and try to use it to open this since it was made on it - It was version 4. I now have version 6 of the CD creator.

I threw away my 4 disk after I purchased the 6.

However, I realized that it probably would not work since the player itself goes with the 6 software.

Thanks anyway.

I wish there was someone who had the same thing happen to them and was able to resolve it...

Well, I tried both retrieve programs. They only show exactly what I can see when I try to open the disk myself. I see folders and I can open those and look at pictures... I see everything on this disk EXCEPT what I really need. There are about 50 text files I made in MS Word/Works. Those are shown in Retrieve and if I click on them to retrieve them it says it'll do it after I insert the second disk. Again - there IS NO second disk. I've never used two disks for a backup. Plus, this is the only CD-R - non-rewriteable disk I've ever owned and I specifically put those files on it because I knew I needed to save them forever and would not be erasing them. So I have NO idea why it insists I need to insert a second disk.

Both of those retrieve programs show just the folders and pictures, not even the icons of the text files I need that are shown in Roxio Retrieve. When I try to open in MS Works it also just shows the folders and not the text files I need.

I considered trying to find my old Roxio program online to download it and try to use it to open this since it was made on it - It was version 4. I now have version 6 of the CD creator.

I threw away my 4 disk after I purchased the 6.

However, I realized that it probably would not work since the player itself goes with the 6 software.

Thanks anyway.

I wish there was someone who had the same thing happen to them and was able to resolve it...

What are "both of those retrieve programs"???

Did you try what I suggested, using XP Explorer to examine the disc and copy the files?

V4 will not run on XP. V4 was not capable of spanning discs. In fact there is no version prior to V6 that Retrieve could be used with.

The two recovery programs can only recover what is on the disc.

It sounds like what you did is make a DataDisc project (.CL4 file), and save the .CL4 file, rather than burning it. Then, without trying to open the files on the disc, you deleted the files.

This can be compared to keeping the shopping list and throwing out the groceries.

If that is what happened, there is nothing to recover.

Probably Roxio Retrieve is assuming it is on another disc and seeking the disc.

Sorry, if that's the case, there's nothing that can be done.

Lynn

Archived