• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

DavidPR

Dvds Not Recognized By Dvd Player

Question

I have wasted a lot of time and DVDs trying to make DVDs of movie files. I am able to play them on my mac but not on any of several DVD players. I get a message either 'NO DISC' or 'Playback feature may not be available on this disc - EJECT!"

I have tried various ways of recording and the result seems always to be the same!

20 answers to this question

I have wasted a lot of time and DVDs trying to make DVDs of movie files. I am able to play them on my mac but not on any of several DVD players. I get a message either 'NO DISC' or 'Playback feature may not be available on this disc - EJECT!"

I have tried various ways of recording and the result seems always to be the same!

Hey David -

It's not totally uncommon for DVDs to playback fine on computers as opposed to DVD players because computers have better error correction and buffering abilities than most DVD players.

A couple basic questions:

1) Where did you get the files from that you are burning?

2) What type and brand of media are you using? RW? +R? -R?

Here's a basic troubleshooting guide for playback issues.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Hey David -

It's not totally uncommon for DVDs to playback fine on computers as opposed to DVD players because computers have better error correction and buffering abilities than most DVD players.

A couple basic questions:

1) Where did you get the files from that you are burning?

2) What type and brand of media are you using? RW? +R? -R?

Here's a basic troubleshooting guide for playback issues.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Thanks for the response. I have tried both DVD+ and DVD- discs - I have tried to eliminate all the variables before seeking assistance. I have used TOAST 7 and 8 with no problem. couldn't migrate to 9 for some reason and just bought 10 - am surprised that I having all this trouble with 10. I have .avi files that I have had no problem in the past putting on discs. That is why I am perplexed

Thanks for the response. I have tried both DVD+ and DVD- discs - I have tried to eliminate all the variables before seeking assistance. I have used TOAST 7 and 8 with no problem. couldn't migrate to 9 for some reason and just bought 10 - am surprised that I having all this trouble with 10. I have .avi files that I have had no problem in the past putting on discs. That is why I am perplexed

Hey David -

Can you give me the specs of your mac? G4? G5? OS? RAM? What brand of media are you using?

Thanks,

Jon

Hey David -

Can you give me the specs of your mac? G4? G5? OS? RAM? What brand of media are you using?

Thanks,

Jon

I am using a macbook pro os 10.5.6 the latest and most uptodate.

I should tell you that I have also used Toast 8, Toast 9 and Toast 10!

They all give me the same result!!!

I am using DVD+R and DVD-R discs

I am using .avi files

I suspect that it may be .avi files. I will try another type of file and see if that will work.

This may be a silly question but are you using the DVD video setting in the Video window?

This may be a silly question but are you using the DVD video setting in the Video window?

No such thing as a silly question.

Yes, I am using the DVD video setting.

I have tried using an .mpg file but it, too, does not work for me. So it is not the type of file.

Hi David -

Let's go back to hardware for a sec: Can you give me the specs of your mac? G4? G5? OS? RAM? What brand of media are you using?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi David -

Let's go back to hardware for a sec: Can you give me the specs of your mac? G4? G5? OS? RAM? What brand of media are you using?

Thanks,

Jon

Just read an earlier message in which I wrote:

I am using a macbook pro os 10.5.6, the latest and most uptodate OS.

I have also used Toast 8, Toast 9 and Toast 10!

I have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R discs - brand? maxell.

I bought a 15 pack and they are almost all used and are useless in a dvd player.

What more would you want to know?

Just read an earlier message in which I wrote:

I am using a macbook pro os 10.5.6, the latest and most uptodate OS.

I have also used Toast 8, Toast 9 and Toast 10!

I have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R discs - brand? maxell.

I bought a 15 pack and they are almost all used and are useless in a dvd player.

What more would you want to know?

My bad there, David. I'll try to do better to ask the right questions.

My follow up questions:

1) What created the files? What is the source material?

2) What are the specifications of the source files? Audio sampling rate, video frame rate, resolution, etc.

3) In your first post, you say they play fine on your Mac, but on when burned to the DVD. Is "they" referring to the original files or the finished DVDs?

Thanks,

Jon

Can you provide the information listed for your disc drive in the System Profiler (listed under disc burning)? What models of DVD players are you having problems with?

There are many things that could be contributing to your playback issues in the set top box vs. the computer. The set top DVD players have a harder time dealing with the different reflectivity of media than the drives used for burning (difference between lasers used to write vs. just read).

As a general rule, the higher quality media have higher playback success. But it also depends on the burner - even good quality media can be burned in such a way that some devices cannot read them. To help with this, make sure your burner has the most up to date firmware available. Another thing to try is burning at a slower speed than max (may change the reflectivity enough so your DVD player can read successfully).

Can you provide the information listed for your disc drive in the System Profiler (listed under disc burning)? What models of DVD players are you having problems with?

There are many things that could be contributing to your playback issues in the set top box vs. the computer. The set top DVD players have a harder time dealing with the different reflectivity of media than the drives used for burning (difference between lasers used to write vs. just read).

As a general rule, the higher quality media have higher playback success. But it also depends on the burner - even good quality media can be burned in such a way that some devices cannot read them. To help with this, make sure your burner has the most up to date firmware available. Another thing to try is burning at a slower speed than max (may change the reflectivity enough so your DVD player can read successfully).

I really appreciate the help you are trying to give.

I have avi files that I have used toast to put onto DVDs.

I have done this with success many times in the past.

I would like to be able to watch these videos on a larger screen than my mac and so I want to transfer them to a DVD disc that I can put into a DVD player.

I really cannot say much about the files themselves other than that Toast seems to process them fine.

I can insert the disc back into the mac and view the videos using "DVD Player". Unnecessary if I want to watch them on the mac, I can do that without toasting the files.

I thought it may have something to so with the menus so I have made a disc with one file and no menu and still several DVD players will not recognize the disc. I have three DVD players each of which do not recognize any of the discs TOAST has created. The message I see is "no disc' or something like please remove disc - does not seem to have a playback feature.

This week I have tried Toast 8 9 and 10 and all the discs come out the same.

My bad there, David. I'll try to do better to ask the right questions.

My follow up questions:

1) What created the files? What is the source material?

2) What are the specifications of the source files? Audio sampling rate, video frame rate, resolution, etc.

3) In your first post, you say they play fine on your Mac, but on when burned to the DVD. Is "they" referring to the original files or the finished DVDs?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon please see my reply to the next posting - "they" refers to the finished DVDs all of which play fine in the mac using the DVD Player in the mac but are not recognized by any of the three DVD players that I have been trying them on.

Since you have had success in the past with this and all your versions of Toast have the same result now, that leads me to believe you're dealing with a drive / media compatibility issue. In order to try and reproduce your issue, please provide the information from System Profiler: your drive model number and all the info listed under "disc burning" as well as the model numbers of the DVD players that are not able to playback your discs.

Thanks.

I really appreciate the help you are trying to give.

I have avi files that I have used toast to put onto DVDs.

I have done this with success many times in the past.

I would like to be able to watch these videos on a larger screen than my mac and so I want to transfer them to a DVD disc that I can put into a DVD player.

I really cannot say much about the files themselves other than that Toast seems to process them fine.

I can insert the disc back into the mac and view the videos using "DVD Player". Unnecessary if I want to watch them on the mac, I can do that without toasting the files.

I thought it may have something to so with the menus so I have made a disc with one file and no menu and still several DVD players will not recognize the disc. I have three DVD players each of which do not recognize any of the discs TOAST has created. The message I see is "no disc' or something like please remove disc - does not seem to have a playback feature.

This week I have tried Toast 8 9 and 10 and all the discs come out the same.

Hi David -

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to have to side with Tubaguy that it's either

a) your media

B) since the source of the files are undetermined as well as the specs, they could very well be not encoding properly.

I know you have already spent a considerable amount of time and money, but I'd recommend a different brand of media. Try Sony or Philips just as a random suggestion.

Also, look into finding another file that has obtainable specs including the resolution, audio bit and sample rate, and frame rate. Preferably, for standard def, your files should be 720x480; have an audio sample/bit rate of 48k/16 bit; and a frame rate of 30 fps. If using MPEG-2 files, the bit rate of the video should be under 8 Mbps. The less converting, the better.

Stick with the standard process of creatign simple video projects. You may want to try building the project as a disc image or DVD volume and then burning that DVD volume as a data disc as well.

Jon

Hi David -

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to have to side with Tubaguy that it's either

a) your media

B) since the source of the files are undetermined as well as the specs, they could very well be not encoding properly.

I know you have already spent a considerable amount of time and money, but I'd recommend a different brand of media. Try Sony or Philips just as a random suggestion.

Also, look into finding another file that has obtainable specs including the resolution, audio bit and sample rate, and frame rate. Preferably, for standard def, your files should be 720x480; have an audio sample/bit rate of 48k/16 bit; and a frame rate of 30 fps. If using MPEG-2 files, the bit rate of the video should be under 8 Mbps. The less converting, the better.

Stick with the standard process of creatign simple video projects. You may want to try building the project as a disc image or DVD volume and then burning that DVD volume as a data disc as well.

Jon

Thanks - I will try Sony discs but I have an idea - can you send me a file that I can try to burn and see if it will work?

Thanks - I will try Sony discs but I have an idea - can you send me a file that I can try to burn and see if it will work?

Hi David -

Sure. You can use the DVDit tutorial assets:

http://docs.roxio.com/patches/DVDit6Tutorial.zip from the article DVDit Pro HD supported video files.

I haven't cracked these open in a while, but am sure they are standard def.

Jon

Hi David -

Sure. You can use the DVDit tutorial assets:

http://docs.roxio.com/patches/DVDit6Tutorial.zip from the article DVDit Pro HD supported video files.

I haven't cracked these open in a while, but am sure they are standard def.

Jon

Sorry to be so dense before - I think you were asking for the following info.

A file I was working has the following:

Video: DivX 6.0, 640 x 272, 23.98 fps

Audio: MPEG Layer-3 Audio, Stereo, 44100 Hz

Is there anything odd about that?

Hi David -

Check your TV Standard in the project.

The frame rate seems to be for PAL or close to it (24 fps). Toast may be auto-creating a PAL disc and if your in the US, the DVD players are NTSC which will reject the PAL disc.

The second oddity is the aspect ratio which could have issues converting to standard def of 720x480.

Jon

Which format (NTSC or PAL) are you needing? Is it possible that your Toast Preferences are set to the wrong format for your country? Click the Audio & Video tab in Toast Preferences to see which format Toast is creating when it encodes your video files.

I have the same issue. Everything works great with Toast 7, but when I try using Toast 8 or Toast 10, all I am able to do is burn non-recognizable DVDs which get ejected by the DVD player. Anyone figure out a solution to this issue?