Pal & Ntsc To Ntsc

spankler

Question

When burning movies from iTunes to DVD, I find that I occasionally have mixed content. I have no problem converting from PAL to NTSC when both movies are PAL, but when 1 is PAL and another is NTSC, Toast v.10 won't re-encode the PAL movie and leave the NTSC one alone or at the very least re-encode it to NTSC. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? There are some movies I would like to keep on the same disk to play on a stand alone player but this problem is making that impossible. Please help!? Specifics would be greatly appreciated as I am somewhat of a nob (like you couldn't tell). :)

3 answers to this question

It appears, then, that you need to do it in two steps. Drag just the PAL videos and choose Save as Disc Image. When those are done you can remove the PAL videos from the Toast window and do either of the following:

option A: drag the .mpeg video files from the Roxio Converted Items folder to the Video window (be certain not to quit Toast or they are automatically erased unless you change the default setting in System Preferences). Those are NTSC-encoded versions.

option B: Mount the disc image file you saved and drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast Video window (with DVD video selected as the format - NOT the VIDEO_TS folders setting). Toast places each of the video files from the VIDEO_TS folder in the Toast window.

Now add the NTSC files from iTunes and arrange the order along with setting up the menu the way you want. Toast won't re-encode the videos that it already converted from PAL to NTSC.

It appears, then, that you need to do it in two steps. Drag just the PAL videos and choose Save as Disc Image. When those are done you can remove the PAL videos from the Toast window and do either of the following:

option A: drag the .mpeg video files from the Roxio Converted Items folder to the Video window (be certain not to quit Toast or they are automatically erased unless you change the default setting in System Preferences). Those are NTSC-encoded versions.

option B: Mount the disc image file you saved and drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast Video window (with DVD video selected as the format - NOT the VIDEO_TS folders setting). Toast places each of the video files from the VIDEO_TS folder in the Toast window.

Hi Tsantee!

Thanks for your help! But...:), I tried option "A" and I ended up with two files, video and audio. When I went to burn the disk, Toast said something to the effect of "This file contains no audio, is there another file? Toast can automatically combine the two." I clicked "yes", and then chose the corresponding audio file. They seemed to combine okay in the Toast window, but when I went to burn the disk, it said that one of the files was not a movie file (I had 2 movies, the first one was already a ntsc .mov, and the 2nd was the problematic one) The video portion of the file did show "ntsc" in the description however. I am wondering if I need to do something to further convert this file. I'm not sure how to do that though b/c I am ending up w/ 2 files--video and audio--and the only way to combine them (that I know of) is to do that in toast with the method you described, but then it doesn't recognize the file that IT created. Help please? Thx.

BTW, nothing say's "noob" better than accidentally misspelling it as "nob", huh? :) Also--BEAUTIFUL Austin! I used to have a bugeye back in the day...

Hi Tsantee!

Thanks for your help! But...:), I tried option "A" and I ended up with two files, video and audio. When I went to burn the disk, Toast said something to the effect of "This file contains no audio, is there another file? Toast can automatically combine the two." I clicked "yes", and then chose the corresponding audio file. They seemed to combine okay in the Toast window, but when I went to burn the disk, it said that one of the files was not a movie file (I had 2 movies, the first one was already a ntsc .mov, and the 2nd was the problematic one) The video portion of the file did show "ntsc" in the description however. I am wondering if I need to do something to further convert this file. I'm not sure how to do that though b/c I am ending up w/ 2 files--video and audio--and the only way to combine them (that I know of) is to do that in toast with the method you described, but then it doesn't recognize the file that IT created. Help please? Thx.

BTW, nothing say's "noob" better than accidentally misspelling it as "nob", huh? :) Also--BEAUTIFUL Austin! I used to have a bugeye back in the day...

Yes, the only way to combine the video and audio is to wait for Toast to ask for the audio file. You did that correctly. There also is a file in the Roxio Converted Items folder that you should ignore. Drag in only the .m2v file and then match the .ac3 audio file when asked.

In any case, since you did option A, option B is easily available. Control-click on the .toast disc image file and choose Mount It in the contextual menu (you'll have to go to More... at the bottom of the contextual menu window to see the Mount It option). Once it is mounted drag the VIDEO_TS folder to Toast as if you were dragging in a video file. Then add your NTSC video(s) and create your new DVD.

The Bugeye Sprites were great fun. They always smile at you.