Sound Drops W Roxio Device

mapmgr

Question

Hi,

I am capturing audio/video with the new Roxio Video Capture USB device (is there a standard abbreviation for this?).

- Sony Digital8 camera/Hi8 tape

- Using S-Video Connector plus audio connectors

- Recording as "DV"

In a short 1.5 - 2 minute clip, there can be up to 2 locations where the sound cuts out for about 1/4 second. Video is unaffected. If I re-capture the clip, the drop-offs may either disappear or move to another location.

Do I need to set to another video setting, eg DVD HQ?

-- Glenn

Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium 4 3 GHz, 2.5 G Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, XP SP3

9 answers to this question

CD,

Thanks for your suggestions and will try what I can. I'm still away from my setup.

You are correct in that I have the standard 300 Wt power supply inside the machine. Somewhere on a shelf I have an upgrade (400 or 450 wt) power supply that I haven't installed yet. :rolleyes:

Sorry I wasn't clear about the cable situation.

The camera has a (4 conductor?) mini-phono jack in which a break-out cable is plugged in-- Red/Right audio, White/Left audio and Yellow composite video. The camera also has an S-Video jack. I use the two audio connectors attached to the USB RVCD respective jacks but the yellow composite is not connected. I am using a gold plated Philips S-video cable from the camera's jack to the RVCD's S-video jack. One of the things I was going to try is to remove the S-Video cable and re-use the composite video connection.

Camera is running with A/C adapter.

I have not yet re-enabled the startup programs with MSCONFIG from the clean install, but I have not tried shutting down AV. That may be a little more difficult as this computer is the host for an ATT/Yahoo DSL modem / wireless router used with our 2 computer network and I don't want to affect the other computer. I will make sure I'm not on roxio.com looking at other threads while I'm waiting during the next capture! :lol:

-- Glenn

CD, Jim, Frank et al,

I did the following...

-- Removed non-essential USB devices including the hub, Rail Driver (train simulator hardware), a web cam and a memory card reader

-- Plugged RVCD cable into the back of the computer

-- Used the two audio connectors and S-Video

-- Rebooted machine with only Creator 2009 running

-- Reverted back to DV capture

I then captured two clips totaling about 25 minutes. No hiccups what-so-ever! :D

Now I just need to find all of my old Hi8 tapes! BTW, the camcorder is a SONY DCR-TRV830.

Thanks for your help!

-- Glenn

CD, Jim, Frank et al,

I did the following...

-- Removed non-essential USB devices including the hub, Rail Driver (train simulator hardware), a web cam and a memory card reader

-- Plugged RVCD cable into the back of the computer

-- Used the two audio connectors and S-Video

-- Rebooted machine with only Creator 2009 running

-- Reverted back to DV capture

I then captured two clips totaling about 25 minutes. No hiccups what-so-ever! :D

Now I just need to find all of my old Hi8 tapes! BTW, the camcorder is a SONY DCR-TRV830.

Thanks for your help!

-- Glenn

You should be using a Firewire (or i.Link) connection to capture from that camcorder. USB is for capturing from analog devices or for web-cams. USB capture from digital camcorders is unreliable if it works at all

You should be using a Firewire (or i.Link) connection to capture from that camcorder. USB is for capturing from analog devices or for web-cams. USB capture from digital camcorders is unreliable if it works at all

Are firewire cables pretty much standard at the camera end? If I had a cable, it is long misplaced (as well as any drivers that the camera may have had).

If I play a Hi8 tape made by a non-digital camera (a busted Canon ES2000A Hi8) in my current Digitial8 camera, will the firewire work or do I need to continue to use analog?

-- Glenn

Frank,

I've only worked with the Hi8 so far. I'd have to try to bring in a VHS player from another room which would have to wait until the weekend. Would still require the RVCD 2861. As of right now, I've tried DV setting which has the occasional audio skip and DVD HQ recording. I didn't experience the audio drop off with DVD HQ, but the video would do a sudden speed up-- like a car getting a mild bump from behind. This is present from the recording through to final DVD burn.

Thanks for your help!

-- Glenn

We understand your problem and are trying to determine the cause…

Roughly it is the; Source ~ Device ~ Wires ~ PC???

By changing the Source & Device as Frank suggested we narrow it down.

You mentioned you are capturing using DV HQ. This places a greater burden on your PC than using DV.

Jim,

You mentioned you are capturing using DV HQ. This places a greater burden on your PC than using DV.

Thanks for the clarification that the DV HQ places more stress on the system. That should give reason why I see "jerks" with DV HQ, but not in DV. However, the original problem, sound drop offs, are with DV.

Roughly it is the; Source ~ Device ~ Wires ~ PC???

That gives me a few ideas to try prior to dragging a VCR out of the living room.

- Try going back to composite video rather than S-Video. Can't change the audio connections as it is going directly from the camera's mini phono jack with L/R/V spit cable that came with the camera to the audio connectors on the Roxio cable; ie, no intermediate audio cable. Would there be more stress on the system using S-Video vs Composite?

- Try connecting the Roxio device's cable to a port on the computer vs on my USB 2 hub

- Try connecting the Roxio device itself to the computer w/o using the USB cable that comes with the Roxio device.

Thanks!

-- Glenn

Can't change the audio connections as it is going directly from the camera's mini phono jack with L/R/V spit cable that came with the camera to the audio connectors on the Roxio cable;

I have no problem with a Sony CCD-TRV40, it comes with a two line split cable, black audio, yellow video, pluged direct into the USB RVCD and a port on the camera.

If your cable is composite, how are you using S-Video? Or doesn't the V stand for Video? ( L/R/V spit cable)

Put the USB RVCD directly into a USB 2.0 port preferably on the rear of your desktop pc.

Your Dell probably has the standard 300 watt power supply. Any unnecessary USB power connections I would unplug while capturing.

Are you running the camera on battery or AC power adapter?

Reboot the pc before capture, shut unnecessary running applications off including AV and Firewall and disconnect from the internet. No screen savers or using the pc for anything but capture.

cd

Archived