Problem burning dual layer images

purrfectharmonie

Question

I have three DL images that I created using iDVD6. The first two burned with Toast 7 just fine....no problems. When I tried to burn the third one, I got this error:

Sense key=illegal request

Sense code=0x26

Invalid field in parameter list

At first I thought the image file was bad, but when I tried to burn the first two images again (that previously burned fine) I got the same error.

I sent my drive back to LaCie and it tested fine. I have tried reinstalling toast, updating firmware and using different media all with no luck. I have the latest updates of toast and OSX

The first two images that burned were burned on Verbatim media.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

6 answers to this question

>>Possibly you updated from OS 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 and the errors started after the update. If this is the case then download the 10.4.6 combined system update from Apple and apply it on top of your existing 10.4.6. There are odd Firewire and USB issues that often creep in during an incremental system update that have been known to affect disc burning to external drives. It's a wild guess, but adding the combined update can do no harm.>>

The problem began when I was still running 10.4.5. I was hoping that the update to 10.4.6 would fix it. I went back as you suggested and re-ran the combo update, but the error is still happening.

I really appreciate all the suggestions I have been receiving. You are all so nice to help me. :-)

iDVD probably didn't set the layer break correctly. Let Toast mount the image, add it to DVD-ROM format in data and see if it will burn correctly.

This is from iDVD 6 Help: "Note: If you burn your project to a double-layer disc, you should burn directly from iDVD rather than from a disc image. A disc-burning utility will not set the layer break according to DVD specifications and may cause playback issues."

If you want to burn DL projects from iDVD I suggest downloading and applying the "LaCie Discrecording Support 1.23" file from the LaCie support site. iDVD recognizes my LaCie drive for DL burning with this profile.

Still, I'd think Freshburn's suggestion about mounting the image file and selecting the VIDEO_TS folder in the Toast Data window also would have worked because Toast then sets the layer break.

<<This is from iDVD 6 Help: "Note: If you burn your project to a double-layer disc, you should burn directly from iDVD rather than from a disc image. A disc-burning utility will not set the layer break according to DVD specifications and may cause playback issues.">>

I was aware of this advice from iDVD support, but I wanted to try the images so I could control the burn speed for better compatibility. It was working without a problem for awhile and then, poof, no more. I also tried exporting as a full quality .dv movie from imovie and dragging that into Toast to let it do the encoding instead of iDVD. After 10 hours or so of encoding, it got to the burn stage and then gave me the same error.

>>If you want to burn DL projects from iDVD I suggest downloading and applying the "LaCie Discrecording Support 1.23" file from the LaCie support site. iDVD recognizes my LaCie drive for DL burning with this profile.>>

Although iDVD recognized my burner without it, I did apply the patch from LaCie. iDVD doesn't want to burn the project either. It just spits out the disc (still blank) and freezes.

>>Still, I'd think Freshburn's suggestion about mounting the image file and selecting the VIDEO_TS folder in the Toast Data window also would have worked because Toast then sets the layer break.>>

I did try this approach and got the same error. I also tried the "fit to DVD compression" to fit the image onto a single layer disc (just to see if it would burn) and got an error (not the same one, but similar). I am at a complete loss as to what to do.

Why would it work and then suddenly stop working?

I appreciate all the suggestions you have offered.

Possibly you updated from OS 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 and the errors started after the update. If this is the case then download the 10.4.6 combined system update from Apple and apply it on top of your existing 10.4.6. There are odd Firewire and USB issues that often creep in during an incremental system update that have been known to affect disc burning to external drives. It's a wild guess, but adding the combined update can do no harm.

Archived