No Compression On Blu-ray

Franzz

Question

I got a complicated image, thousands of moving leaves on it. I think the only good way for making a Full HD blu-ray disc is to avoid any compression. It is appr. 12 Gb. How do I export it (from FinalCutPro) and how do I use it in Toast 9 (with plug-in installed)?

Thanks,

Franzz

1 answer to this question

I got a complicated image, thousands of moving leaves on it. I think the only good way for making a Full HD blu-ray disc is to avoid any compression. It is appr. 12 Gb. How do I export it (from FinalCutPro) and how do I use it in Toast 9 (with plug-in installed)?

Thanks,

Franzz

Blu-ray doesn't support lossless video or lossy video - it only supports MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (h.264), or VC-1. So to put it on a Blu-ray disc you're going to have to compress it.

If you export the file from FCP as a QuickTime file and add it to Toast under Blu-ray disc, you can adjust the encode settings to use MPEG-4 AVC @ 24 Mbps. That's the highest quality you'll get out of Toast's encoder.