Emc 2009 Vs Previous Versions

valpatel

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi,

Those of you who are successful in installing and using how does it compare to previous versions like EMC9 Suite? Is quality of DVD you made any better? Are the performace and reliablity better? What are your findings? Please share.

Thanks and regards,

Val Patel

Creator 2009 = EMC 10 >EMC 10. (That's my opinion)

Creator 2009 gives you BluRay (with add on) and AVCHD ability. A different interface.

If you take your time installing any EMC or Creator 2009, then they all install without problesm. If you don't, then .....

Creator 2009 = EMC 10 >EMC 10. (That's my opinion)

Creator 2009 gives you BluRay (with add on) and AVCHD ability. A different interface.

If you take your time installing any EMC or Creator 2009, then they all install without problesm. If you don't, then .....

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. In my EMC 9 Suite the maximum bit rate I can record a dvd is 9 Mbps. What is it in Creator 2009?

- Val

Thanks for your reply. In my EMC 9 Suite the maximum bit rate I can record a dvd is 9 Mbps. What is it in Creator 2009?
That is a limitation of the Video DVD standard. Combined bitrate of video and audio can not exceed about 10Mbps. Don't know the exact number. And the thing is, some DVD players can't really handle 9Mbps. Edited by ggrussell

That is a limitation of the Video DVD standard. Combined bitrate of video and audio can not exceed about 10Mbps. Don't know the exact number. And the thing is, some DVD players can't really handle 9Mbps.

Hello Gary and Other,

Thanks for your reply.

Questions: I recorded a dvd in EMC9 Suite from a capture made from a miniDV Sony camcorder. Now, when I compare watching the dvd and the miniDv on a LCD TV from about six feet, the direct video coming from the miniDV camcorder looks almost noise free, while the video coming from the dvd looks slightly more noisy (more frequency noise). Is this your experience too?

I also did comparison between dvd's made from the same miniDV on EMC9 Suite and Nero 9. Although EMC9 records at 9 Mbps and Nero 9 at 8 Mbps, I could not see any difference in quality. The dvd's from both are about equally noisier than original miniDV. Any experiments or comparisons you may have done, please share.

Do you think it is normal that when you transfer from one media to the other media there is always going to be some loss of quality even though we are dealing with digital (and not analog) media?

I will be very interested in your answers to these questions.

Thanks and regards,

Val

Questions: I recorded a dvd in EMC9 Suite from a capture made from a miniDV Sony camcorder. Now, when I compare watching the dvd and the miniDv on a LCD TV from about six feet, the direct video coming from the miniDV camcorder looks almost noise free, while the video coming from the dvd looks slightly more noisy (more frequency noise). Is this your experience too?
I don't think you are fully understanding what is going on with digital video. Just because it's digital doesn't mean it will always be flawlessly clear. When converting analog to digital, how well that analog signal is reproduced is determined by the sample rate (bitrate in video talk). The higher the sample rate, the better the original will be reproduced. The only problem with that is the digital file will be larger.

Now to make video a bit more complex, not only is there a sample rate, but also compression. Kind of like compression in a JPEG image. Each frame of the video is compared to the frame in front and following that frame.

For video, miniDV tape camcorder use DV AVI recording which has a high bitrate and very little compression so it reproduces the original video very well. When you capture that to a computer, the file should be about 13GB per hour of video.

To get that much on a single 4.7GB disc, it must be compressed. First, the format must be converted to MPEG 2 and if you use 9Mbps bitrate, that file should fit.

So you now have a different format and lower bitrate plus more compression. Yes, the video quality will be affected. This happens will ALL video software. Some software has muli-pass encoding which will give a marginally better video depending on how many passes, but this process also takes a lot more time. MyDVD doesn't support multi-pass for regular DVDs, but it does for Blueray/AVCHD discs.

Edited by ggrussell

I don't think you are fully understanding what is going on with digital video. Just because it's digital doesn't mean it will always be flawlessly clear. When converting analog to digital, how well that analog signal is reproduced is determined by the sample rate (bitrate in video talk). The higher the sample rate, the better the original will be reproduced. The only problem with that is the digital file will be larger.

Now to make video a bit more complex, not only is there a sample rate, but also compression. Kind of like compression in a JPEG image. Each frame of the video is compared to the frame in front and following that frame.

For video, miniDV tape camcorder use DV AVI recording which has a high bitrate and very little compression so it reproduces the original video very well. When you capture that to a computer, the file should be about 13GB per hour of video.

To get that much on a single 4.7GB disc, it must be compressed. First, the format must be converted to MPEG 2 and if you use 9Mbps bitrate, that file should fit.

So you now have a different format and lower bitrate plus more compression. Yes, the video quality will be affected. This happens will ALL video software. Some software has muli-pass encoding which will give a marginally better video depending on how many passes, but this process also takes a lot more time. MyDVD doesn't support multi-pass for regular DVDs, but it does for Blueray/AVCHD discs.

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the quick but detailed answer. I understand the compression artifacts. But I thought MPEG-2 is a lossless format when the quality is specified at 100%. Also, I thought AVI format has lot of overhead (and inefficiency) compared to MPEG-2, so at zero compression MPEG-2 file will be smaller. It seems even at 100% quality the application has a hard limit e.g. EMC has 9Mbps and Nero has 8 Mbps.

My whole purpose in doing these experiments is to transfer and edit all of my miniDV cassetts, put them on dvd's and then forget about those cassetts (if the quality is almost same). Am I too ambitious?

Regards,

Val

Ambitious? No, but I wouldn't get rid fo the tapes either. MPEG 2 is definitely NOT lossless even at the highest bitrate possible. DV AVI is still compressed. TRUE totally uncompressed, standard definition digital video takes about 90GB per hour. So think just how much compression is really going on in MPEG 2 to get that much squeezed onto 4.7GB. :)

Ambitious? No, but I wouldn't get rid fo the tapes either. MPEG 2 is definitely NOT lossless even at the highest bitrate possible. DV AVI is still compressed. TRUE totally uncompressed, standard definition digital video takes about 90GB per hour. So think just how much compression is really going on in MPEG 2 to get that much squeezed onto 4.7GB. :)

Gary,

Thanks again for your answers. Another question: Would I gain anything going from EMC9 Suite to Creator 2009 for what I am trying to do? I am not into blue ray dvd or HD video (at least for foreseeable future). What would you suggest?

Regards,

Val