Mydvd Freezes During Encoding Movie

Mike H

Question

I am using MyDVD 9 and am trying to burn a DVD or write the image to disc (problem happens in both modes). During the "Encoding Movie" phase, MyDVD "freezes" at 3%. This happens after successfully getting through the "Encoding preview" phase. I have let the process run for over 8 hours and it never gets past that point. I watch the Window Task Manager and the CPU usage drops from about 50% to 0 shortly after the 3% message appears. Checking the image ISO file I see that it is not updated after that time. Any suggestions what I can do to fix this problem?

Here's some info:

• There are no error messages except in the burn log (see below).
  • The source is two 1 hour mpg I created by copying from VHS tape with Plug & Burn. I created the project in VideoWave.
  • The MyDVD project has 23 chapters and 5 menus, no introduction.
  • I am using Software rendering. When I try Hardware, the Graphics Test switches me back to software.
  • System info:

Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 (Build 900B88F ENU )

Windows NT 5.1 (XP) Build 2600 Service Pack 3

DirectX 9.0c

System: Dell Dimension 5310

Intel Pentium 4CPU 3.2 GHz

L2 cache: 2,048 KB

Memory: 2,040 MB

Video card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Perhaps most interesting is the Burn log. The "freeze" happens when the log starts reporting "GEV_VOBGRAPH_NO_SAMPLES_RECEIVED".

===================================================
01/29/09 22:35:23

'Our Celebration'

>>> Burner active, hMutex = 0x00001dd4 <<<

State Change Time 22:37:21 : Elapsed Seconds 117.99
[ startBurn ]  BurnerState_Ready ==>  BurnerState_OpeningProject  1 / 1
BurnerState_OpeningProject: 0/0
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_OPENING param2 = 2100
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STOPPED param2 = 2101
m_nThumbIndex = -1
m_varThumbInfo.vt = 0
m_varThumbInfo.parray = 0x00000000
BurnerState_OpeningProject: 100/0
State Change Time 22:37:21 : Elapsed Seconds 0.08
[ nextState ]  BurnerState_OpeningProject ==>  BurnerState_EncodingTitle  1 / 1
BurnerState_EncodingTitle: 0/0
GetLSPFromNextVOBS(): hr = 0x00000000, value = -1

GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STARTING param2 = 2300
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_RECORDING param2 = 2301
 GEV_VOBGRAPH_NO_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEVENT = 13 : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEVENT = 11 : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_TIME : param1 = 13, param2 = 364652
BurnerState_EncodingTitle: 0/0
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 = 374, param2 = 10480288
<snip>
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_TIME : param1 = 2242, param2 = 360573
BurnerState_EncodingTitle: 3/3
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 = 65172, param2 = 10480288
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_TIME : param1 = 2252, param2 = 360639
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 = 65451, param2 = 10480288
 GEV_VOBGRAPH_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 = 2739, param2 = 85
<snip>

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_TIME : param1 = 2262, param2 = 360600
BurnerState_EncodingTitle: 100/96
State Change Time 22:51:30 : Elapsed Seconds 848.69
[ userCancel ]  BurnerState_EncodingTitle ==>  BurnerState_Aborting  1 / 1
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STOPPING param2 = 2302
 GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 = 65749, param2 = 10480288
 GEV_VOBGRAPH_VOB_FLUSHED : param1 = 1, param2 = 0
 GEV_VOBGRAPH_STOPPED : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEVENT = 1 : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STOPPING param2 = 0
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STOPPED param2 = 0
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_CLOSING param2 = 2102
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 0
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 1
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 2
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 3
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 4
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 5
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 6
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 7
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 8
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 9
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 10
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 11
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 12
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 13
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 14
 GEV_LVM_PROGRESS : param1 = 0, param2 = 15
 GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_CLOSED param2 = 0
InvalidateDriveEntryInCache(*)

>>> Burner inactive, hMutex = 0x00001dd4 <<<

State Change Time 22:51:33 : Elapsed Seconds 3.36
[ nextState ]  BurnerState_Aborting ==>  BurnerState_Completed  1 / 1
BurnerState_Completed: 0/96

15 answers to this question

Change the setting back to High Quality (HQ), and when you burn, burn to a Folder Set, not an .iso file. Uncheck the option for burning to a DVD. If the file gets through the encoding process, and actually finishes burning to a folder set, then burn the result, to a DVD, using Disc Copier. It will fit the production, to a DVD, better than using the LP quality setting in MyDVD.

If the encoding stops after 3 minutes, then there is something wrong, in the production, at that point.

Stopped in the same place. Must be a production issue.

Since it stops very early in the encoding, it may not be the video part of the project but the audio. In My DVD, go to the top menu, select file and then project settings. Uncheck the option to normalize the audio.

It was already off. Sigh...

I thought that maybe it is because I don't have an "overlay". I added one, but that failed too.

Next I went back to the VideoWave project, I see that it is stopping about the time of the first chapter marker, which is also a split in the source video. I'm going to have to go back and try this with no splits or markers or something and build it back up until I find the problem. Sigh... :(

I was having this exact same problem with MyDVD also for some reason... However, I did figured out a working solution! Go to the options selection under tools and select software under the video render option and it should fix it right up... I'm not really sure whats causing the issue but i shouldn't be having it in the first place. I'm running an extremely up to date and high performance system so i know for an absolute fact my hardware would be able to handle this extremely easily... I have one of the newer I5 quad core processor's with a Geforce 8800 Gtx video card and i also tried getting the latest drivers (from Nvidia, not windows update) so as far as that goes i know that couldn't be the issue. But for whatever reason once i switched that option it started working perfectly so give that a shot and see what happens... Good Luck!!!

I thought that maybe it is because I don't have an "overlay". I added one, but that failed too.

Next I went back to the VideoWave project, I see that it is stopping about the time of the first chapter marker, which is also a split in the source video. I'm going to have to go back and try this with no splits or markers or something and build it back up until I find the problem. Sigh... :(

Do you have a trasition at the split point? If so, try removing that, first.

Wondering ... can you have "chapter marker" on a split point????

Remove the marker at the split point and try it

I was having this exact same problem with MyDVD also for some reason... However, I did figured out a working solution! Go to the options selection under tools and select software under the video render option and it should fix it right up... I'm not really sure whats causing the issue but i shouldn't be having it in the first place. I'm running an extremely up to date and high performance system so i know for an absolute fact my hardware would be able to handle this extremely easily... I have one of the newer I5 quad core processor's with a Geforce 8800 Gtx video card and i also tried getting the latest drivers (from Nvidia, not windows update) so as far as that goes i know that couldn't be the issue. But for whatever reason once i switched that option it started working perfectly so give that a shot and see what happens... Good Luck!!!

You may have set a record ! :blink: You are replying to a thread that has been dead for almost 17 months. :D The OP had already tried software; if fact, that was the only thing that he could use. Looking back at the thread, he was using Windows NT; I don't think that NT was ever supported.

You may have set a record ! :blink: You are replying to a thread that has been dead for almost 17 months. :D The OP had already tried software; if fact, that was the only thing that he could use. Looking back at the thread, he was using Windows NT; I don't think that NT was ever supported.

This person may have "set a record" for replying to such an old post, but....THIS PERSON JUST FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!! I've never ever had a problem rendering my movies, but my current project stopped at exactly the same frame only 8% of the way through the "encoding" process....until I read this reply and tried the suggestion to switch from "hardware" to "software". It's working perfectly now. So....don't mock anyone for replying/posting to an OLD thread - if one googles for info, one may end up on an old thread that is still pertinent. THANK YOU ZEDORUS!

A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. So to get more than that on a DVD (at best quality) you have to first burn to a iso file and then use DiscCopier to burn that iso file to the DVD.

How did you use "plug&Burn"? As far as I know Plug&Burn only works with digital camcorder connected via Firewire to the PC.

Your video card may be "sub-standard" but might work in the software mode. Do you have the latest drivers for that chipset?

My bad, I totally confused the names -- it was not Plug & Burn. I used MediaImport and the source was a VCR through a Dazzle. I captured to mpgs. I used VideoWave to "splice" the two mpgs together into a single production, and marked chapters.

I then used MyDVD to create a DVD production. The production has manus and chapters. The "preview" in MyDVD runs flawlessly. From there I try to create an ISO image from MyDVD and that is when I have the problem. During the "Encoding Movie" phase, MyDVD "freezes" at 3%.

As far as I can tell, I have the most recent drivers for the chipset.

The burn log implies to me that there is some internal problem with the project. It is expecting a "sample" and is not getting it. Any ideas?

My bad, I totally confused the names -- it was not Plug & Burn. I used MediaImport and the source was a VCR through a Dazzle. I captured to mpgs. I used VideoWave to "splice" the two mpgs together into a single production, and marked chapters.

I then used MyDVD to create a DVD production. The production has manus and chapters. The "preview" in MyDVD runs flawlessly. From there I try to create an ISO image from MyDVD and that is when I have the problem. During the "Encoding Movie" phase, MyDVD "freezes" at 3%.

As far as I can tell, I have the most recent drivers for the chipset.

The burn log implies to me that there is some internal problem with the project. It is expecting a "sample" and is not getting it. Any ideas?

Do you output the video from Videowave to an mpg file or do you add the VW project to myDVD as a "movie"?

Have you tried to create the iso using just one of the video clips? You of course can't burn 2 hours of video onto a DVD without a workaround or going to vey low quality.

The burn log means nothing to most of us here.

Do you output the video from Videowave to an mpg file or do you add the VW project to myDVD as a "movie"?

I added the VideoWave project (.DMSM) to MyDVD as a movie.

Have you tried to create the iso using just one of the video clips? You of course can't burn 2 hours of video onto a DVD without a workaround or going to vey low quality.

The burn log means nothing to most of us here.

I have not tried just one of the clips. MyDVD says the 2 hours will fit and it does this by lowering the quality to LP (I think). It was not EP.

Too bad about the log. That to me implies something is missing from the project. I guess I'll have to debug it.

This person may have "set a record" for replying to such an old post, but....THIS PERSON JUST FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!! I've never ever had a problem rendering my movies, but my current project stopped at exactly the same frame only 8% of the way through the "encoding" process....until I read this reply and tried the suggestion to switch from "hardware" to "software". It's working perfectly now. So....don't mock anyone for replying/posting to an OLD thread - if one googles for info, one may end up on an old thread that is still pertinent. THANK YOU ZEDORUS!

It is alwys best to start your own thread with your particular issues and hardware listed. We would have posted a link to the information you needed. We're pretty good about getting to posts in a couple of hours or so.

I added the VideoWave project (.DMSM) to MyDVD as a movie.

I have not tried just one of the clips. MyDVD says the 2 hours will fit and it does this by lowering the quality to LP (I think). It was not EP.

Too bad about the log. That to me implies something is missing from the project. I guess I'll have to debug it.

Change the setting back to High Quality (HQ), and when you burn, burn to a Folder Set, not an .iso file. Uncheck the option for burning to a DVD. If the file gets through the encoding process, and actually finishes burning to a folder set, then burn the result, to a DVD, using Disc Copier. It will fit the production, to a DVD, better than using the LP quality setting in MyDVD.

If the encoding stops after 3 minutes, then there is something wrong, in the production, at that point.

This is a wild guess that has been lurking in the back of my mind. :ninja:

Since it stops very early in the encoding, it may not be the video part of the project but the audio. In My DVD, go to the top menu, select file and then project settings. Uncheck the option to normalize the audio.

Try to make the ISO again. :unsure:

This might be old news at this point, but I've been having the exact same problem using MyDVD version 6.2.0. (I have some old projects made with this program but I also use Creator 2009 at this point for newer projects) I noticed that when trying to save the project to a DVD folder or as an iso file it stops in the "building movies" phase at the same point. It may be in a place where I had gone back and inserted a new clip but I am not certain of this. The strange thing is I was able to complete the build when "Quality" was set at SP but since I made that edit I cannot get it to build in the HQ quality setting that I need. Here's what I am trying: In the "edit movie" window I was able to export the entire movie as an mpeg and then bring the entire movie back in again using the same mpg. I then deleted the old movie files and the chapter stops remained in place. I am going to try and save it to a DVD folder now. I'll let you know what happens!

I am using MyDVD 9 and am trying to burn a DVD or write the image to disc (problem happens in both modes). During the "Encoding Movie" phase, MyDVD "freezes" at 3%. This happens after successfully getting through the "Encoding preview" phase. I have let the process run for over 8 hours and it never gets past that point. I watch the Window Task Manager and the CPU usage drops from about 50% to 0 shortly after the 3% message appears. Checking the image ISO file I see that it is not updated after that time. Any suggestions what I can do to fix this problem?

Here's some info:

• There are no error messages except in the burn log (see below).
  • The source is two 1 hour mpg I created by copying from VHS tape with Plug & Burn. I created the project in VideoWave.
  • The MyDVD project has 23 chapters and 5 menus, no introduction.
  • I am using Software rendering. When I try Hardware, the Graphics Test switches me back to software.
  • System info:

Perhaps most interesting is the Burn log. The "freeze" happens when the log starts reporting "GEV_VOBGRAPH_NO_SAMPLES_RECEIVED".

A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. So to get more than that on a DVD (at best quality) you have to first burn to a iso file and then use DiscCopier to burn that iso file to the DVD.

How did you use "plug&Burn"? As far as I know Plug&Burn only works with digital camcorder connected via Firewire to the PC.

Your video card may be "sub-standard" but might work in the software mode. Do you have the latest drivers for that chipset?

Archived