• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Start Of Chapter Issue

EKoso

Question

Well I was finally able to make a Blu-Ray disc of my project using MYDVD (Roxio 2009). Thanks for everyone's help in another topic on this subgroup.

However, while playing the disc on my computer (and also from a folder set), I noticed that about one or two seconds into the start of every chapter the movie shrinks down a noticeable bit from where it started. I have tried different players with the same results. I don't yet have a stand-alone blu-ray player for my TV to try it on.

Basically, my project is about 20 individual mpeg movies (1920x1080i) with a title screen describing the movie in front of each movie. It is during this title screen that the shrinking happens. The source mpeg files do not have this shrinking occur when I watch them in WMP or another player I have.

I have created this exact same project as a regular DVD using the exact source files and that project plays without any issues.

My settings for MYDVD are MPEG-2, SP and Dolby Digital. My computer is a 2.8Ghz Duo Core, 3GB ram, 400gb and 500gb hard drives, and an ATI 4850 graphics card running Vista Premium.

I appreciate all help in this matter.

7 answers to this question

Well I was finally able to make a Blu-Ray disc of my project using MYDVD (Roxio 2009). Thanks for everyone's help in another topic on this subgroup.

However, while playing the disc on my computer (and also from a folder set), I noticed that about one or two seconds into the start of every chapter the movie shrinks down a noticeable bit from where it started. I have tried different players with the same results. I don't yet have a stand-alone blu-ray player for my TV to try it on.

Basically, my project is about 20 individual mpeg movies (1920x1080i) with a title screen describing the movie in front of each movie. It is during this title screen that the shrinking happens. The source mpeg files do not have this shrinking occur when I watch them in WMP or another player I have.

I have created this exact same project as a regular DVD using the exact source files and that project plays without any issues.

My settings for MYDVD are MPEG-2, SP and Dolby Digital. My computer is a 2.8Ghz Duo Core, 3GB ram, 400gb and 500gb hard drives, and an ATI 4850 graphics card running Vista Premium.

I appreciate all help in this matter.

I am able to get rid of the shrinking down at the start of each chapter by right clicking on the panel for each movie and selecting "Fill Panel" I believe. This only works when I select one or two panels. If I select all movies, the rendering process always hangs and never completes.

Is Roxio going to release a SP4?

If anyone can provide guidance, I would really appreciate it.

Don’t have one so I can’t really help.

Odd thing is that you mention you can “fix it” by selecting Fill Panel. That would indicate that your source material is not 16:9 to start with???

I wondered that as well. But my files are 1920x1080 and the Roxio information screen for the movie shows them as 1920x1080. My source files are created in Pinnacle Studio 12 with settings for HDV 1080i. I believe something else is going on. I like Pinnacle Studio for editing and MyDvd for authoring and have been using these 2 programs for a few years, with only minor and resolvable issues until now.

When I view the Blu-Ray (folder) I see it shrinking down a tad about 2 seconds into each chapter. Wouldn't it be stretching instead of shrinking to fit the panel anyway, if it needed to?

I really can't fix it by selecting "fill panel" though, since it won't render if I select all the movies.

Thanks.

Yes, you can render the MPEG 2 hidef to AVCHD. If you have Creator 2009 Ultimate or C2009 with the Bluray plugin, MyDVD has an option to create a AVCHD on standard DVD disc. This disc will be in the Bluray format and can only be played on a Bluray player or computer with Bluray software. Here are the settings:

4.7GB disc

HQ = 40m24s 1920X1080p

SP = 50m16s 1920x1080i

LP = 1hr 1440X1080i

XLP = 1hr24m31s 1280X720p

8.5GB Disc

HQ = 1hr13m40s

SP = 1hr31m36s

LP = 1hr49m19s

XLP = 2hr33m52s

These times are WITH menu so without will give slightly longer times. Unfortunately, the bitrates are not listed, but my test 4.7 disc was excellent quality. I don't have anything that will read AVCHD bitrates from a file.

I just created a Blu-Ray folder set with "AVCHD" as the render option, instead of "MPEG-2" and it did not have the Chapter Start-Shrink Issue. It took 24 hours to render as opposed to under 2 hours for "MPEG-2" render. However, I am leary of using "AVCHD" render option since it took so long and it takes up a lot less space. I am afraid of losing something in the translation, since the source files are MPEG-2.

I am going to try "MPEG-2" render option again with 2 pass encoding checked. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Can anyone confirm that Roxio is still fixing bugs in this program and that SP3 won't be the last fix?

My source files are created in Pinnacle Studio 12 with settings for HDV 1080i.
HDV is normally 1440X1080i using non-square pixels. Are the original source files used in Pinnacle HDV or some other format? If the originals are AVCHD, MyDVD can now smart render (with SP3) AVCHD files when creating Blueray or AVCHD on standard DVDs.

As a test, you can try output with Pinnacle to AVCHD Bluray files and use those in MyDVD.

HDV is normally 1440X1080i using non-square pixels. Are the original source files used in Pinnacle HDV or some other format? If the originals are AVCHD, MyDVD can now smart render (with SP3) AVCHD files when creating Blueray or AVCHD on standard DVDs.

As a test, you can try output with Pinnacle to AVCHD Bluray files and use those in MyDVD.

The files are from an HV20 camera in 1440x1080i. I rendered the movies in HD 1080i (1920x1080) in Pinnacle Studio, as opposed to HDV2 1080i (1440x1080). I read somewhere online to avoid compatibility problems with players, etc., to use the 1920x1080 mode.

I will say that these Pinnacle rendered files authored into a Standard DVD in Roxio 2009 Mydvd (or EMC10) look awesome with no issues. On an upscaling player, they look like true HD on a 46" TV. I figured I would also put my HD files on a Blu-Ray at higher resolution, so that they would look good on bigger TV's as well, now and in the future.

Unfortunately, I did not save my projects or the captured video from my camera due to space limitations. I have the tapes but it would take hours and hours to recreate these projects (which include special effects, a lot of editing, music track alignment and the like).

Is it possible that I could render these MPEG-2 files into an AVHCD blu-ray as opposed to MPEG-2 blu-ray?

Thanks for the help !

Yes, you can render the MPEG 2 hidef to AVCHD. If you have Creator 2009 Ultimate or C2009 with the Bluray plugin, MyDVD has an option to create a AVCHD on standard DVD disc. This disc will be in the Bluray format and can only be played on a Bluray player or computer with Bluray software. Here are the settings:

4.7GB disc

HQ = 40m24s 1920X1080p

SP = 50m16s 1920x1080i

LP = 1hr 1440X1080i

XLP = 1hr24m31s 1280X720p

8.5GB Disc

HQ = 1hr13m40s

SP = 1hr31m36s

LP = 1hr49m19s

XLP = 2hr33m52s

These times are WITH menu so without will give slightly longer times. Unfortunately, the bitrates are not listed, but my test 4.7 disc was excellent quality. I don't have anything that will read AVCHD bitrates from a file.

Archived