• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
akj850

Merging Avchd Files Using Toast?

Question

I have successfully burned a blu ray format DVD using toast using AVCHD files from my Canon HF10 and played it on a Sony BDP-550. The picture looks great and I've very happy to have this capability (my wife is even happier!)

So here is my question. The camera makes a new file everytime we pause playback. I would love to be able to merge all the files into a single video on the disc without having to do a bunch or re-encoding or possibly just have the first of many videos appear in the menu, so as to keep the number of videos in the menu as a reasonable number. Is there a way to do this in toast?

Thanks so very much!

13 answers to this question

I have successfully burned a blu ray format DVD using toast using AVCHD files from my Canon HF10 and played it on a Sony BDP-550. The picture looks great and I've very happy to have this capability (my wife is even happier!)

So here is my question. The camera makes a new file everytime we pause playback. I would love to be able to merge all the files into a single video on the disc without having to do a bunch or re-encoding or possibly just have the first of many videos appear in the menu, so as to keep the number of videos in the menu as a reasonable number. Is there a way to do this in toast?

Thanks so very much!

Yes you can. I had the exact same issue so we added a feature to merge the clips into one Title which will appears as one button. Bring your clips into Toast, select the clips and then choose Merge Clips under the Edit menu.

Yes you can. I had the exact same issue so we added a feature to merge the clips into one Title which will appears as one button. Bring your clips into Toast, select the clips and then choose Merge Clips under the Edit menu.

Great, thanks a lot! I was able to burn a disc, but then I had a problem with the menu not working on my blu ray player. I have heard others mention this problem. Is there a way to correct this?

I am trying to burn several hundred AVCHD files from my Sony camcorder and Toast 10 won't accept more that 98 files to a DVD.

The disk space indicator on the Toast window says less than half full. I tried a DL DVD and it also won't accept more than 98 files.

I am using the DVD-Video option. (the one at the top)

I have tried burning the files via the 'AVCHD Archive'. It indicated 5 DVD disks are required. When attempting the burn, the message says. Maximum files acceptable is 98!!

I'm on a MacBook Pro and OS10.6.4

I am a newbie to Toast 10. I have a similar problem with burning HD discs. I want to transfer all the clips from the cameras memory card (SDHC) to HD discs - Blu-ray and/or DVD-R, via the AVCHD transfer part of Toast 10, but I run into the "98 clip" limit, & the merge clip function is always grey. I have a new Sony NX5 camera, Macbook Pro running 10.5.8, a OWC Blu-ray burner, & Toast 10 with Blu-ray plug-in. I have successfully once used the "Blu-ray video" part of toast to burn from QTM's made in Final Cut. What steps do I take to "un-grey" the merge function then burn the discs?

Kittyhawk

I have a similar problem. I have not been able to merge the clips. I drag the cameras icon from the desk top to the toast window set for Blu-ray & the clips start loading . They stop at 98, I highlight them all or any portion of the 98 clips, go to - merge clips, click on it & up pops a file with zero clips & zero duration. When I press the edit button the App Toast quits.

What to do?

I am trying to burn several hundred AVCHD files from my Sony camcorder and Toast 10 won't accept more that 98 files to a DVD.

The disk space indicator on the Toast window says less than half full. I tried a DL DVD and it also won't accept more than 98 files.

I am using the DVD-Video option. (the one at the top)

I have tried burning the files via the 'AVCHD Archive'. It indicated 5 DVD disks are required. When attempting the burn, the message says. Maximum files acceptable is 98!!

I'm on a MacBook Pro and OS10.6.4

I can't understand why the limit Toast will accept is only 98 files when the disk space used is only 1.86GB on a standard DVD? Even when trying a DVD DL, or a Blueray disk it still will only accept 98 AVCHD files!!

Surly there must be some fault with the program as other users seem to be having similar issues. Does anyone know if there is a better burning program than Toast?

I am a newbie to Toast 10. I have a similar problem with burning HD discs. I want to transfer all the clips from the cameras memory card (SDHC) to HD discs - Blu-ray and/or DVD-R, via the AVCHD transfer part of Toast 10, but I run into the "98 clip" limit, & the merge clip function is always grey. I have a new Sony NX5 camera, Macbook Pro running 10.5.8, a OWC Blu-ray burner, & Toast 10 with Blu-ray plug-in. I have successfully once used the "Blu-ray video" part of toast to burn from QTM's made in Final Cut. What steps do I take to "un-grey" the merge function then burn the discs?

Kittyhawk

You need to select multiple clips first. Then the 'merge clips' option will be un-greyed. This should not be necessary if the program worked properly however. See copy below from page 118 of the Toast Help section.

It WON'T allow you to span multiple disks.

To create an AVCHD Archive 1 At the top left of the Toast window, click Video and choose AVCHD

Archive.

2 Connect your AVCHD camcorder to your computer via the USB connection and ensure it is set to the proper mode so your Mac can access the video. On most camcorders, this is the Playback mode.

It is also suggested that you have AC power connected to the camcorder, and in some cases required by the camcorder itself.

3 Select your AVCHD source in the pulldown menu. AVCHD camcorders typically appear as a removable volume or drive.

4 Insert a blank, recordable DVD or BD disc. 5 Click the red Record button, choose a recorder from the list, and

configure any optional recording settings. 6 Click Record to continue.

If more than one blank disc is required, you will prompted with the total number of discs required before recording begins. <This does NOT work.

Toast displays a progress bar and status information as it records your disc.

Perhaps you could merge some clips into one, in order to get the total number of clips under 98.

Thanks, that is helpful

but do you know why Toast won't accept more than 98 files? And why Toast won't allow the spanning of the number of disks it has stated as being required? This seems to apply to DVD, DVD DL, and Blueray disks. Even on a DVD 98 clips don't even fill half of the disk.

do you know why Toast won't accept more than 98 files?
I think the DVD-Video specification has a limit of 99 title sets, as two digit numbering is needed. Apparently Toast wants to keep 1 below the maximum for some reason.

Thanks, that is helpful

but do you know why Toast won't accept more than 98 files? And why Toast won't allow the spanning of the number of disks it has stated as being required? This seems to apply to DVD, DVD DL, and Blueray disks. Even on a DVD 98 clips don't even fill half of the disk.

I was able to un-gey the merge clip function when using the Blu-ray, or DVD video setting by dragging the cameras icon to toast. The clips start loading up till 98. After clicking "OK" after the 98 message, I then highlight any or all of the 98 clips, & use the merge clip function, the result is a toast entry with 0 clips & 00:00 duration, & the clips I attempted to merge are gone. How do you make the merge clips function work?

Kittyhawk

I was able to un-gey the merge clip function when using the Blu-ray, or DVD video setting by dragging the cameras icon to toast. The clips start loading up till 98. After clicking "OK" after the 98 message, I then highlight any or all of the 98 clips, & use the merge clip function, the result is a toast entry with 0 clips & 00:00 duration, & the clips I attempted to merge are gone. How do you make the merge clips function work?

Kittyhawk

1. Connect the AVCHD camera to computer. 2. Open Toast and select DVD-Video. 3. Drag several camera files from the Media Browser to Toast. 4. Go to Edit>Merge Clips. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to continue.

Each batch of clips will be merged into one separate file. Go the 'Edit' on the merged clips in Toast to see the individual clips et.

Unfortunately this does not work for AVCHD Archive as there is no control on the number of clips moved to Toast. It selects all of the camera's HD. If there are more than 98 clips you can't burn them as far as I know.

See page 118 of Toast Help menu. But - it doesn't work!! If anyone knows what the issue is with this I would be most grateful. It seems from another post that Toast won't handle more that 2 digits in file name.

I think the DVD-Video specification has a limit of 99 title sets, as two digit numbering is needed. Apparently Toast wants to keep 1 below the maximum for some reason.

A lot of DVD software does this, and often it's to leave allowance for menu assets. It's much simpler than making the programming all conditional based on whether the user chooses to have a menu or not.

What's really frustrating in Toast is that apparently the same limitation is applied to BD projects! See this thread for more information if you're interested in BD.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/67445-only-98-movies-or-slideshows-can-be-written-error-with-blu-ray

Edited by khyron