• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Extracting And Separating Individual Songs From A Concert Video

kathjoh

Question

3 answers to this question

What format is the existing video? Is it on a video DVD with chapter marks at the start of each song or is it in some other format?

She was here today. I attempted to import it into IMovie and the window that came up was greyed out and showed Video_TS's. I was unable to open them. I think the same thing happened when I attempted through Toast. I am unable to find an Icon on the left of my screen that has "Convert" as well. I did not see any chapter markers. Someone videotaped one of her concerts from front to back and we want to separate and extract songs for individual mp3's and/or Quick Time Movies under 100 MB in size. She took it with her to look at tonight to determine exactly which songs she wants in case she has to take it to a professional. I am hoping to save her that expense. She will come by again tomorrow and I will copy the DVD's so I can talk more intelligently about it.

I appreciate the support.

She was here today. I attempted to import it into IMovie and the window that came up was greyed out and showed Video_TS's. I was unable to open them. I think the same thing happened when I attempted through Toast. I am unable to find an Icon on the left of my screen that has "Convert" as well. I did not see any chapter markers. Someone videotaped one of her concerts from front to back and we want to separate and extract songs for individual mp3's and/or Quick Time Movies under 100 MB in size. She took it with her to look at tonight to determine exactly which songs she wants in case she has to take it to a professional. I am hoping to save her that expense. She will come by again tomorrow and I will copy the DVD's so I can talk more intelligently about it.

I appreciate the support.

It's actually fairly easy to do this with Toast but you'll need my coaching because it isn't explained in the manual. What I would do first is enter the Convert window by clicking the button near the top right of the Toast window. From left to right the icons are Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert.

Once you are in the Convert window, choose Video Files as the format. Then insert her DVD and open it in the Finder. Now drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the Toast Convert window. In a few seconds you'll see thumbnails of all the video titles that are recorded to the DVD. There may only be one or there may be several.

Next to each thumbnail you'll see a button labeled Extract. Click this button. Toast will launch the Toast Video Player. It will take awhile for the player to read the content of the video and display it for you. When it is done you can use this player to mark the start and end points you want to convert. Place the top slider at the point you want the converted video to begin. Click the triangle that's at the center bottom of the screen. This is the edit marker. Now drag the right half of that marker to the right until you get to the point you want the video to end. You don't have to be exact because you can always trim off extra in iMovie which is better at fine tuning the edits.

When you have placed the edit markers where you want choose Save and return to Toast. Now when you click the big red button Toast will only convert the portion of the video that you marked. Choose Digital Video (DV) as the convert format.

When that is done you can go back to the Toast Video Player and place the markers in a different location, save and repeat.

To extract just the audio you can do this after you've converted the video to DV. Change the setting in the Convert window's setting to Audio Files and drag in the DV video file. You will see that is now just an audio file in the Toast window. Click the big red button and save as AIFF. You'll need to use iTunes to convert it to MP3 because Toast does not have an MP3 encoder (it can convert to AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC and Apple Lossless along with AIFF and WAV.

Let me know where you get stumped.

Archived