New One: I Have Audio But No Video

Barrydc1

Question

I am trying to edit 3 DVD's of a trip onto one DVD of Highlights. I've got the files on the computer, and when I import them into the MyDVD 10 menu they will show up with a still picture on the storyboard, but I cannot edit or preview as it runs the clip with sound but no video. How can I fix this so I can effectively edit these clips?

Thanks for the help, support for Roxio is beyond lousy.

8 answers to this question

If yes then click that and this should open the Videowave editor where you can edit your movie and do all the things mentioned in the ad.

Nice in theory, it does open the editor, but you have not carefully read the post. Of course I can open the editor, and even see the thumbnails in the storyline editor or time line and they even have little pictures of the beginning of the clip, but as I have repeatedly noted above, I cannot edit the clips because only the sound plays when the play button is clicked, and NO VIDEO IS DISPLAYED EXCEPT A BLACK SCREEN! Sorry to yell but neither tech, nor people reading the discussion seem to be able to understand this seemingly simple fact, which I assume someone familiar with this software would have a simple solution for.

"Everyone Else"? You know this?

My video card is noted above (ATI RADEON HD 2400 with 1533 MB of memory) I think it is more than adequate for this minor application! :rolleyes:

I've got the latest drivers

I have already installed the very latest DirectX update from their site (and no, no beta versions).

As noted above (previous post), it plays just fine on Windows Media Player, so not a video corruption or audio problem.

I'm doubting these are the only possibilities, as I imagine it could be a program setting, or possibly even a video card setting!

See above!

I just tried to add and use a slideshow which works perfectly. However, if I try to use even the sample video files that came with windows vista, I still get a preview with sound and no video or black video just as my files do.

Is there someone on these forums who knows MyDVD 10 premier and how to adjust the appropriate settings, I did check under "Show/Hide Tracks" button and played with this, but it seems to make no difference with this problem.

Since you are able to create a "perfect" slideshow that indicates that the software is behaving properly. The problem may be with your source video - what format is it, where did you get the video?

I am trying to edit 3 DVD's of a trip onto one DVD of Highlights. I've got the files on the computer, and when I import them into the MyDVD 10 menu they will show up with a still picture on the storyboard, but I cannot edit or preview as it runs the clip with sound but no video. How can I fix this so I can effectively edit these clips?

Thanks for the help, support for Roxio is beyond lousy.

You say you are using myDVD 10 but you posted in Creator 2009 forum - I moved your post to the correct forum.

How did you get the video from the DVD to your PC? Does the video play with sound using Windows Media Player?

You will have to explain a bit more what you you are doing. If you want to edit video you should be using Videowave since that is designed for editing; myDVD is for creating menus and burning.

Nice in theory, it does open the editor, but you have not carefully read the post. Of course I can open the editor, and even see the thumbnails in the storyline editor or time line and they even have little pictures of the beginning of the clip, but as I have repeatedly noted above, I cannot edit the clips because only the sound plays when the play button is clicked, and NO VIDEO IS DISPLAYED EXCEPT A BLACK SCREEN! Sorry to yell but neither tech, nor people reading the discussion seem to be able to understand this seemingly simple fact, which I assume someone familiar with this software would have a simple solution for.

Yet strangely it seems to work for everyone else… :o

Your video card is not up to task or your drivers need updated or you don't have the DirectX updates or your video is corrupt.

That pretty well covers the possibilities.

You should be able to test your video by playing it in Windows Media Player. Is it OK there?

The others involve you checking and installing updates. – before you do though, try a new project in MyDVD and just add a few still pictures you have. Just want to see how they behave in preview???

Yet strangely it seems to work for everyone else… :o

Your video card is not up to task

My video card is noted above (ATI RADEON HD 2400 with 1533 MB of memory) I think it is more than adequate for this minor application! :rolleyes:

or your drivers need updated

or you don't have the DirectX updates

I have already installed the very latest DirectX update from their site (and no, no beta versions).

or your video is corrupt.

As noted above (previous post), it plays just fine on Windows Media Player, so not a video corruption or audio problem.

That pretty well covers the possibilities.

I'm doubting these are the only possibilities, as I imagine it could be a program setting, or possibly even a video card setting!

You should be able to test your video by playing it in Windows Media Player. Is it OK there?

See above!

The others involve you checking and installing updates. – before you do though, try a new project in MyDVD and just add a few still pictures you have. Just want to see how they behave in preview???

I just tried to add and use a slideshow which works perfectly. However, if I try to use even the sample video files that came with windows vista, I still get a preview with sound and no video or black video just as my files do.

Is there someone on these forums who knows MyDVD 10 premier and how to adjust the appropriate settings, I did check under "Show/Hide Tracks" button and played with this, but it seems to make no difference with this problem.

Yes I do.

And yet it doesn't work...

There are NO settings in the program that effect the preview. It goes back to your Video Card. Video Accelleration should not be at max. Pull that down a notch or two.

If you have a disc or 2 of RW you could grit your teeth and just burn one to see how it comes out. - not solving your preview, just another step in the process.

And of course there is the Clean Install procedure if you want to give that a shot – Here

I posted on the Roxio Creator 9 because it was the closest I could find to the topic I have.

I am using MyDVD 10, because that is what a tech on the Roxio online support recommended I do to edit the video. I have Roxio Creator Premier which includes MyDVD express, MyDVD 10, Cinemagic and a couple capture utilities for photo and video and "plug and burn." I do not have Videowave. There are extensive video editing capabilities on MyDVD 10, they just aren't going to be effective if I can't see to use the editing functions. The video clips were imported to the computer via the Roxio Creator Premier as .wmv and .mpg files. They will play just fine with windows media player (both video and sound). I am not having a sound problem, just a problem viewing the video. Sound plays fine, video is black.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium sp1

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

300 GB NTFS harddrive

3.2 GB total memory with 2G remaining

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro with ? memory

Dell 20" Flat Panel montor.

P.S. The video also is black when I use Cinemagic.

and below are the features I copied from Roxio's MyDVD 10 Premier sales ad with editing features in bold.

Automatically create fun video stories from your photos, videos and music • •

Add titles and scrolling credits to your video production • •

Trim and cut video clips • •

Timeline and storyboard views help you lay out your project • •

Automatically fix video color, contrast and brightness • •

Overlay multiple images, text or video clips; create picture-in-picture effects • •

Capture and edit HD video • •

Quickly and easily upload video to YouTube™

I posted on the Roxio Creator 9 because it was the closest I could find to the topic I have.

I am using MyDVD 10, because that is what a tech on the Roxio online support recommended I do to edit the video. I have Roxio Creator Premier which includes MyDVD express, MyDVD 10, Cinemagic and a couple capture utilities for photo and video and "plug and burn." I do not have Videowave. There are extensive video editing capabilities on MyDVD 10, they just aren't going to be effective if I can't see to use the editing functions. The video clips were imported to the computer via the Roxio Creator Premier as .wmv and .mpg files. They will play just fine with windows media player (both video and sound). I am not having a sound problem, just a problem viewing the video. Sound plays fine, video is black.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium sp1

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

300 GB NTFS harddrive

3.2 GB total memory with 2G remaining

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro with ? memory

Dell 20" Flat Panel montor.

P.S. The video also is black when I use Cinemagic.

and below are the features I copied from Roxio's MyDVD 10 Premier sales ad with editing features in bold.

Automatically create fun video stories from your photos, videos and music • •

Add titles and scrolling credits to your video production • •

Trim and cut video clips • •

Timeline and storyboard views help you lay out your project • •

Automatically fix video color, contrast and brightness • •

Overlay multiple images, text or video clips; create picture-in-picture effects • •

Capture and edit HD video • •

Quickly and easily upload video to YouTube™

Once you have added the movie to the menu, do you see an option in the left task panels called "edit Movie"? If yes then click that and this should open the Videowave editor where you can edit your movie and do all the things mentioned in the ad.

Archived