• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Sound In Production, Sound Ok In Individual Clips

Kimmm

Question

Just installed Roxio Creator 2009, downloaded their updates. Am using the USB capture from a standard VHS recorder/player. PC is a Dell Inspiron E1505, with 80 gig of RAM with 75 left...Windows XP, SP3 with all updates...1 gig of RAM.

No issues with capturing video with sound from VCR ...playback of captured video is ok and has normal audio. In edit mode when working on production, individual clips have normal audio. When the packaged production is REVIEWED, or individual clips REVIEWED, there is no audio from the production project. If an intro sound is added, it plays audio ok, but nothing from the rest of the file. Wierd..

Any suggestions?

14 answers to this question

Jim,

Thanks for your quick reply:

I followed your suggestion, and burned a DVD-R with a project...same issue...that of Intro Sound is fine, and no sound from my video...when volume turned completely up...still nothing...nada...

Played it on a different computer...same issue.

Wish you had an RW to play with, I hate wasting discs…

I think you are referring to MyDVD when you are talking about ”packaged production”???

Let’s try this with MyDVD – File – Project Settings – clear the Check Mark by Fit to Disc.

This will allow you to access the Audio: portion. Try changing the default Dolby Digital to LPCM. Click OK.

If you preview/edit can you hear the Audio now?

post-39730-1233492786.jpg

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Jim,

Followed your direction above to go to the Project Settings under the File Tab...changed the audio to LPCM...it did not make any difference. I imported another short clip...split it into about 4 scenes. the individual scenes play fine in the Video trimmer like before...but when previewed have no audio...I did notice that there is a speaker symbol at the top of the display (to the right of the scissors...when I have the "Edit Movie" clicked.....it is not highlighted...dim...put curser over it and it says "Volume"...apparently it is not active...maybe this is a clue...perhaps some default setting still biting me. Clicking on the dim speaker symbol does nothing...

Unsuccessful so far...

Thanks again...any more suggestions?

Jim...I spent quite a while on-line with Tech Support this afternoon..at Roxio...no help...the tech person did not understand much of anything..just typed while I talked...went to higher tech person....they e-mailed me instructions to run MSCONFIG and disable all my STARTUP items, restart PC, and retry the Roxio software.

I did all the recommended steps...and went back to create my video project....no help, problem with audio remains. Went back into MSCONFIG and re-enabled all the STARTUP items.

This is another synopsis of my issue:

Go to VideoWAve application:

click on New CineMagic Production

An Add Content Screen Comes up...click on Add Video/Photos

This brings up a screen showing my imported videos

Clicked on one that I imported from my VCR (a standard family VHS video taken on a Cam Corder) as a test.

On the Add Content Screen...selected Select Screens...this resulted in a breakup of the recorded file into three segments. Clicked on one of them and it played...including OK audio. Selected all three..clicked "Include Selected" , then OK. Then NEXT.

Software crunched...wound up with about eight scenes....Ran PREVIEW...no audio. If I added an intro (from the packaged software)...that audio plays ok...but no audio on my scenes. Double click on a scene, and it brings up the VIDEO TRIMMER. Play the scene there...OK audio and video.

Notice that the SPEAKER symbol is DARK when the Intro Scene is selected...and DIM when on one of my scenes.

PREVIEW of the entire project or production...no audio...from my scenes...but audio from the intro.

Note...in all instances, I can play the audio in the VIDEO TRIMMER.

Note that in my previous post I tried your suggestion to select LPCM....no change to my problem.

HELP...

...............click on New CineMagic Production.............

The part of your post that I quoted is the reason you do not hear the "native" audio from your video file(s). CineMagic is a special "wizard" that makes a sort of "highlight" video from your video source. So as a part of that, it suppresses the original (native) audio from the video file(s). That's how it is designed to work.

If you want to keep the original audio, you need to start a new Videowave production and simply add the videos to the production. Then cut out the parts you don't want, add transitions if you want, etc... manually.

Jim...I spent quite a while on-line with Tech Support this afternoon..at Roxio...no help...the tech person did not understand much of anything..just typed while I talked...went to higher tech person....they e-mailed me instructions to run MSCONFIG and disable all my STARTUP items, restart PC, and retry the Roxio software.

I did all the recommended steps...and went back to create my video project....no help, problem with audio remains. Went back into MSCONFIG and re-enabled all the STARTUP items.

This is another synopsis of my issue:

Go to VideoWAve application:

click on New CineMagic Production

An Add Content Screen Comes up...click on Add Video/Photos

This brings up a screen showing my imported videos

Clicked on one that I imported from my VCR (a standard family VHS video taken on a Cam Corder) as a test.

On the Add Content Screen...selected Select Screens...this resulted in a breakup of the recorded file into three segments. Clicked on one of them and it played...including OK audio. Selected all three..clicked "Include Selected" , then OK. Then NEXT.

Software crunched...wound up with about eight scenes....Ran PREVIEW...no audio. If I added an intro (from the packaged software)...that audio plays ok...but no audio on my scenes. Double click on a scene, and it brings up the VIDEO TRIMMER. Play the scene there...OK audio and video.

Notice that the SPEAKER symbol is DARK when the Intro Scene is selected...and DIM when on one of my scenes.

PREVIEW of the entire project or production...no audio...from my scenes...but audio from the intro.

Note...in all instances, I can play the audio in the VIDEO TRIMMER.

Note that in my previous post I tried your suggestion to select LPCM....no change to my problem.

HELP...

As Larry posted Cinemagic "loses" the audio and that is why it is not a very useful program for working with video that has native audio. You can see that the audio has been lost after finishing in Cinemagic and you are returned to Videowave. Switch to the Timeline mode, select show Show Tracks and enable Native audio. The Native audio track should be blank. If you take some video clip that has audio and add it to the video track, it will show audio in the Native track

Folks...

thanks for your replies...saying I was trying to use Cinemagic to do something it was not capable of doing.

I am disappointed that the software (Cinemagic) IS working as designed....that is, not keeping the native audio with the scenes.

...my whole reason for using Cinemagic was to break up long family videos into reasonable scenes...using that tool...and keep the audio with the scenes...this seems to be a deficiency in the design since that is not possible.....and I would suggest that a follow-on version of the software add that capability. (I just find it curious that I can open the invididual clips from Cinemagic into the Video Trimmer, and have native audio...wierd)

I will follow your suggestions and not use Cinemagic for that purpose, and work instead in the VideoWave application.

I also will not bother Roxio support anymore for this issue, since my problem has been declared a "usage" issue, not a software issue....but, in my humble opinion, a deficiency, a SOFTWARE requirements issue...is there any way to turn in a software requirements change request? KEEP NATIVE AUDIO WITH VIDEO CLIPS IN CINEMAGIC. (I am an old Space Shuttle Main Engine software tester)

Adios until the next issue crops up... :rolleyes:

Folks...

thanks for your replies...saying I was trying to use Cinemagic to do something it was not capable of doing.

I am disappointed that the software (Cinemagic) IS working as designed....that is, not keeping the native audio with the scenes.

...my whole reason for using Cinemagic was to break up long family videos into reasonable scenes...using that tool...and keep the audio with the scenes...this seems to be a deficiency in the design since that is not possible.....and I would suggest that a follow-on version of the software add that capability. (I just find it curious that I can open the invididual clips from Cinemagic into the Video Trimmer, and have native audio...wierd)

I will follow your suggestions and not use Cinemagic for that purpose, and work instead in the VideoWave application.

I also will not bother Roxio support anymore for this issue, since my problem has been declared a "usage" issue, not a software issue....but, in my humble opinion, a deficiency, a SOFTWARE requirements issue...is there any way to turn in a software requirements change request? KEEP NATIVE AUDIO WITH VIDEO CLIPS IN CINEMAGIC. (I am an old Space Shuttle Main Engine software tester)

Adios until the next issue crops up... :rolleyes:

You were already in the program that does what you want it to. That program is VideoWave. Don't use Cinemagic.

In VideoWave, click on File/New Production, and pick 16:9, or 4:3, whichever type your video is.

Click on the Add Photo/Video button, browse to where your video is, highlight it, and bring it in.

Click on the Timeline view, below, and use the "scrubber" to go to the points you want to edit the video.

Follow the work flow strategy, here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=44108

And here is a link that will tell you how to cut out portions of the video.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=15528

Look to the left on that page and watch the video about using scenes in Video Wave. That's more to what you want to do. I actually don't use it because cutting out sections of video is more precise. I know what I want and what I don't; the computer generated scenes may contain both what I want and what I don't want. :P

Hey!...you Expert Guru's should back off on your snipes at the new users of this software...the documentation is insufficient to guide you. The tutorials are also insufficient......if you try to simply use the product in a manner that seems intuitive, and it does not work as we would hope it would...there naturally is frustration....and...no info anywhere that says that Native Audio will not be part of the CineMagic breakup of a video...that is all we are saying...so ...I guess we will have to just import all of the video, and hack away at it within Video WAve...

Anyway...thanks

.if you try to simply use the product in a manner that seems intuitive, and it does not work as we would hope it would.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but computers and software DO NOT work the way YOU think they should. They work how they were programmed. It is up to the user to LEARN that process. I have never really seen a well written or really thorough manual. Written material just can't cover all possibilities. There is a lot of software with no manual at all.

If you feel it doesn't fit your needs, there is a 30 day return policy.

Edited by ggrussell

OK bubble burster...I agree that computers and software work as they are programmed...that is the problem...if the requirements for software are properly stated, the software properly tested, and feedback given to the designers and requirements writers for rework, WITH THE USER COMMUNITY IN MIND...a capable product is the result. I spent many years testing man-rated critical software so that it was idiot proof....anyway...I will roll up my sleeve and try to make the best of what I paid for... :rolleyes:

OK bubble burster...I agree that computers and software work as they are programmed...that is the problem...if the requirements for software are properly stated, the software properly tested, and feedback given to the designers and requirements writers for rework, WITH THE USER COMMUNITY IN MIND...a capable product is the result. I spent many years testing man-rated critical software so that it was idiot proof....anyway...I will roll up my sleeve and try to make the best of what I paid for... :rolleyes:

Once you learn how to use the software, you will really like it. Nothing about video work is easy, but when you get a very nice end result, it is well worth the trouble that you went through, to produce the DVD.