Can't Get Toastanywhere To Work

ejstubbs

Question

Hi

I have a G4 iMac and an Intel MacBook, both running OS X 10.5.6 and Toast 9.0.4. I would really like to be able to burn on the iMac's DVD drive from the MacBook, because the MacBook is so much faster at encoding video. I've tried using ToastAnywhere but 99 times out of 100 the MacBook never sees the iMac's DVD drive - even when I enter the iMac's IP address. On a very few occasions the iMac's DVD drive does appear in the MacBook Toast's drive menu, but I have no idea why it worked on those occasions and none of the others.

Before anyone suggests it, I have deleted preferences and re-installed Toast on both machines - so many times that I can practically do it in my sleep! That does not solve the problem. Whatever I do, ToastAnywhere seems to work only when it feels like it - and that's not very often.

Can anyone shed any light on why ToastAnywhere is so flippin' awkward?

Thanks...M

P.S. I have never managed to get Apple remote DVD sharing to working either. Could these problems be related?

6 answers to this question

Yup, Toast open on both Macs, blank DVD-R in the iMac's drive. Still nothing! It's very frustrating.

EyeTV and iTunes archive sharing is working fine between the two machines, but not this. Screen, file and printer sharing all work fine too. Not Toast though.

Ooo, I'm so cross...I could just stamp my foot!

Yup, Toast open on both Macs, blank DVD-R in the iMac's drive. Still nothing! It's very frustrating.

EyeTV and iTunes archive sharing is working fine between the two machines, but not this. Screen, file and printer sharing all work fine too. Not Toast though.

Ooo, I'm so cross...I could just stamp my foot!

This is outside of my expertise but it could be a Firewall issue. Open the Security panel in System Preferences and see if you have Allow all incoming connections selected in the Firewall window.

Yes, Toast has incoming connections allowed in the firewall.

I've actually discovered that enabling ToastAnywhere on the iMac causes Toast 9.0.4 to crash the machine. This happens reliably, every time I try to do it, whether or not Toast is running on the MacBook. After restarting the iMac Toast then refuses to burn DVDs, with the symptoms as reported in this thread The only way to fix it is to do a complete clear out of Toast and re-install it - and not to try to enable ToastAnywhere.

This one is going to be reported to Roxio.

Have you gone into your Toast preferences and clicked the Start button under the sharing tab? The system which you want to burn to must have this active to be recognized. I'm guessing that your two system are on the same network? If so when clicking the gear icon located by the drive name in the lower left corner of the toast window you should then see the drive name of the system you want to burn to. If you get that far it should be as easy as selecting that drive and burning to it. I have no problems burning toast anywhere on the Intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.5.6. I hope that you can simply reboot both systems and have better luck with this information

Thanks, I do know how to set up ToastAnywhere. The point is that it isn't working. The drive on the iMac never shows up in the list of drives under the gear icon on the MacBook. I have had it working in the past but it doesn't work now, and trying to burn a DVD in Toast on the iMac when ToastAnywhere is started crashes OS X.

I have reported this to Roxio but they seem spectacularly unable to even understand the problem, let alone solve it.