Burn Stops Just Short Of Completion

jroc

Question

I'm trying to burn a lengthy video/photo production in MyDVD (approx. 1 hr. 30 min. long). The production was produced in Videowave, output as MPEG-2 for DVD, then brought into MyDVD. I'm using Verbatim disks that hold 4.5 GB of data or 120 minutes of video. The burn goes along just fine until near the end where it stalls out. The Burn Project window shows: Overall progress (97%) and Current task: encoding movie (99%). At the bottom of the MyDVD screen it shows the following info: DVD 4.7GB, Used 4697.3 MB, Free 2.7 MB, Time Remaining 00:00:02, Quality: Fit to disk.

Is my video too long? It shows there is still 2.7 MB of space free, and if it's too long why don't I get a warning or error message of some sort. I've spent months on this production and now I can't burn it. Help, please. And thank you in advance.

Jim :(

15 answers to this question

Ok, here's the latest: My iso image file on the HQ setting was over the disc size limit by 665MB, or 9:26 minutes. The Fit-to-Disc iso file was at 4663.8MB. As stated in my previous message I ran a test where I cut 11 minutes from my production and created a new, shorter, iso file on the HQ setting. That burned to disc without a problem. When comparing the HQ and the Fit-to-Disc on my DVD player the difference in quality is significantly better with the HQ. I really don't want to delete 11 minutes from my family's production, though, so I think I'll find the approximate halfway point, add an intermission of some sort, and burn the production on two discs. All my problems began this year, I think, because the more I use EMC0 the more I learn of its capabilities. As a result much of this year's family production involved video in the background with photos in the foreground as overlays. Produced some cool effects and a pretty professional looking production but of couse video takes up more room then photos.

I also checked out the two links you included and they look interesting, but why do you use ImgBurn instead of burning with Roxio, simply because you've had good luck with it? By the way, the Maxell and Memorex discs are some leftovers from last year that I use for experimentation or previewing various segments of my production to see how they look on our big TV. As a result of discussions within this group I now use Verbatim for my finished productions, and will also use them for testing once the the leftovers are gone.

At any rate, my original problem appears to be resolved even if the final result is a bit clunky using two discs. Thanks lots for you help and guidance. :D

Jim

I do not mean to butt in here but if your production goes over the limit for a single-layer disk, why not try a double-layer? Is there something I missed?

On another note, if you simply cannot use a double-layer disk, maybe try another software to compress the ISO just abit to fit the single-layer disk with something like DVDShrink? If you are only over by 600-700 Mb, I would not expect much or any discernible quality degradation. Compare the quality of DVDShrink with the quality of "Fit to Disc" I have done it both ways, especially if I cannot get Roxio to co-operate.

I do not mean to butt in here but if your production goes over the limit for a single-layer disk, why not try a double-layer? Is there something I missed?

On another note, if you simply cannot use a double-layer disk, maybe try another software to compress the ISO just abit to fit the single-layer disk with something like DVDShrink? If you are only over by 600-700 Mb, I would not expect much or any discernible quality degradation. Compare the quality of DVDShrink with the quality of "Fit to Disc" I have done it both ways, especially if I cannot get Roxio to co-operate.

Since I anticipate this problem recurring in the future (extra long productions) I will check into the double-layer discs when I can. I live in a tiny tourist town in the northwoods of Wisconsin (with very good fishing ;) ) and all I can get around here are the basic DVD-/+R discs. When I get to the city one of these days.... In the meantime I'll also check into DVDShrink. Thanks. :)

Try burning to an image file (.iso or similar) on the hard drive (at burn deselect the optical and select 'save' instead)

Let us know if that also locks up.

To burn from image - presuming you haven't changed any file associations, just double click on the image file and the rest is automatic

Since I anticipate this problem recurring in the future (extra long productions) I will check into the double-layer discs when I can. I live in a tiny tourist town in the northwoods of Wisconsin (with very good fishing ;) ) and all I can get around here are the basic DVD-/+R discs. When I get to the city one of these days.... In the meantime I'll also check into DVDShrink. Thanks. :)

The iso & Video Copy & Convert method should work without much noticeable loss of quality for your 90 minute video. Since 2 standard DVDs cost a lot less then a single DL DVD, I always split an extra long video over the two DVDs.

Have you played the DVDs on other DVD players?

I'm trying to burn a lengthy video/photo production in MyDVD (approx. 1 hr. 30 min. long). The production was produced in Videowave, output as MPEG-2 for DVD, then brought into MyDVD. I'm using Verbatim disks that hold 4.5 GB of data or 120 minutes of video. The burn goes along just fine until near the end where it stalls out. The Burn Project window shows: Overall progress (97%) and Current task: encoding movie (99%). At the bottom of the MyDVD screen it shows the following info: DVD 4.7GB, Used 4697.3 MB, Free 2.7 MB, Time Remaining 00:00:02, Quality: Fit to disk.

Is my video too long? It shows there is still 2.7 MB of space free, and if it's too long why don't I get a warning or error message of some sort. I've spent months on this production and now I can't burn it. Help, please. And thank you in advance.

Jim :(

First of all, don't output as anything, from VideoWave. Save the production, in VideoWave, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, and bring in the .dmsm file that you just saved.

Then, do all of your menu stuff, and change the Video Quality setting to High Quality (HQ). Save your production.

Then, click on Burn, and uncheck the option for burning to a DVD, and as Daithi said, click the option to burn as an image (.iso) file. Give the file a name, and choose a location where you want it saved, then click on Burn.

Hopefully, it will encode, and when it gets done, close MyDVD, and open Video Copy and Convert. Click on the DVD Video Copy tab, and in the dropdown box, below Source, click on the Browse for Disc Image....

Browse to the .iso file you just made, and click on it, then click OK, once it loads.

Made sure you have a DVD, in your burner, and in the Write Speed dropdown, set it to 8x, maximum. Then click the Copy Now button, and let it burn to the DVD.

This may be a wild idea but ... I noticed that all failures occured with the full disc iso files and not with the "Fit to disc" option. Could it be that the burner has problems burning "at the edge" or perhaps the reader. "Fit-to-disc" I find does not fill up the disc

Have you played the problem DVDs on your computers DVD player? What disc space is used on the DVD that you burned with Fit to Disc?

BTW, Memorex and Maxel are considered problem discs and are not really recommended.

You mention you use only HQ setting. Have you burned a project that was close to the limits of the disk on that setting? This is the largest production I've done and the first time I've had a problem but I always accepted the default setting of Fit to Disc. I think, just for a test, I'm going to make a duplicate of the dmsm file, give it a different name and chop some video out of the copy to shorten the production, then see if I can go through the process successfully on HQ.

You say: "Could it be that the burner has problems burning "at the edge" or perhaps the reader." How would I be able to determine that? Continued thanks, and I'll get back to you re: my test.

Jim

You mention you use only HQ setting. Have you burned a project that was close to the limits of the disk on that setting? This is the largest production I've done and the first time I've had a problem but I always accepted the default setting of Fit to Disc. I think, just for a test, I'm going to make a duplicate of the dmsm file, give it a different name and chop some video out of the copy to shorten the production, then see if I can go through the process successfully on HQ.

You say: "Could it be that the burner has problems burning "at the edge" or perhaps the reader." How would I be able to determine that? Continued thanks, and I'll get back to you re: my test.

Jim

I am curious what is the size of the iso file you created using Fit-to-Disc?

Like Bruce I always use the HQ setting and always first "burn" to an iso image file. To burn the iso file to DVD I use the free utility ImgBurn. I have used this method to burn several hundred 90 minute programs to DVD with only one or two failures and those were user created. I always use Verbatims. I did have all sorts of problems using Memorex and Maxells and others.

To check you burned DVD you could use a utility called Nero DiscSpeed

I am curious what is the size of the iso file you created using Fit-to-Disc?

Like Bruce I always use the HQ setting and always first "burn" to an iso image file. To burn the iso file to DVD I use the free utility ImgBurn. I have used this method to burn several hundred 90 minute programs to DVD with only one or two failures and those were user created. I always use Verbatims. I did have all sorts of problems using Memorex and Maxells and others.

To check you burned DVD you could use a utility called Nero DiscSpeed

Ok, here's the latest: My iso image file on the HQ setting was over the disc size limit by 665MB, or 9:26 minutes. The Fit-to-Disc iso file was at 4663.8MB. As stated in my previous message I ran a test where I cut 11 minutes from my production and created a new, shorter, iso file on the HQ setting. That burned to disc without a problem. When comparing the HQ and the Fit-to-Disc on my DVD player the difference in quality is significantly better with the HQ. I really don't want to delete 11 minutes from my family's production, though, so I think I'll find the approximate halfway point, add an intermission of some sort, and burn the production on two discs. All my problems began this year, I think, because the more I use EMC0 the more I learn of its capabilities. As a result much of this year's family production involved video in the background with photos in the foreground as overlays. Produced some cool effects and a pretty professional looking production but of couse video takes up more room then photos.

I also checked out the two links you included and they look interesting, but why do you use ImgBurn instead of burning with Roxio, simply because you've had good luck with it? By the way, the Maxell and Memorex discs are some leftovers from last year that I use for experimentation or previewing various segments of my production to see how they look on our big TV. As a result of discussions within this group I now use Verbatim for my finished productions, and will also use them for testing once the the leftovers are gone.

At any rate, my original problem appears to be resolved even if the final result is a bit clunky using two discs. Thanks lots for you help and guidance. :D

Jim

Jim

I have also done what you have done by splitting longer video into 2 DVDs. I have found that with 90 minutes videos on one DVD using the HQ/ISO method and splitting the video into two halfs does not result in much quality difference. Fit-to-Disc gives poor quality as you found out. I still don't understand why you have problems with the 90 minute video when using the HQ/iso route.

BTW, videos do not take up more room on a DVD - all video and photos get set to a resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) no matter what the initial size. The amount of video you can get on a DVD is determined mostly by the timelength of your project.

I can taste that fresh Walleye right now.

BTW, videos do not take up more room on a DVD - all video and photos get set to a resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) no matter what the initial size. The amount of video you can get on a DVD is determined mostly by the timelength of your project.

Ah, good to know. I thought videos ate up more space. Thanks.

BTW, where is Deep River? Are you up in the northwestern part of Ontario where the prime fishing is?

First of all, don't output as anything, from VideoWave. Save the production, in VideoWave, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, and bring in the .dmsm file that you just saved.

Then, do all of your menu stuff, and change the Video Quality setting to High Quality (HQ). Save your production.

Then, click on Burn, and uncheck the option for burning to a DVD, and as Daithi said, click the option to burn as an image (.iso) file. Give the file a name, and choose a location where you want it saved, then click on Burn.

Hopefully, it will encode, and when it gets done, close MyDVD, and open Video Copy and Convert. Click on the DVD Video Copy tab, and in the dropdown box, below Source, click on the Browse for Disc Image....

Browse to the .iso file you just made, and click on it, then click OK, once it loads.

Made sure you have a DVD, in your burner, and in the Write Speed dropdown, set it to 8x, maximum. Then click the Copy Now button, and let it burn to the DVD.

Thanks, both of you, for your quick response. I just this afternoon was able to get back to this project. I set the video quality in MyDVD to High Quality and followed your instructions. Everything appeared to work fine but when I put the burned disk in my DVD player I got a "disk is dirty" message. Went through the whole process three times, once with a Memorex DVD-R, once with Maxell DVD-R and once with a Verbatim DVD-R. All three failed to play in my DVD player. Went through the process a fourth time and set the video quality to Fit to Disc and this time everything went fine, but of course the quality of the video isn't as good as if I'd been able to use the high quality setting. Only other option would seem to be cutting part of my production if I want the highest quality and I can't really cut much out. So.... For next year's show I'll have to be more conservative in the number of videos/photos I use. Thanks again. :)

Jim

Thanks, both of you, for your quick response. I just this afternoon was able to get back to this project. I set the video quality in MyDVD to High Quality and followed your instructions. Everything appeared to work fine but when I put the burned disk in my DVD player I got a "disk is dirty" message. Went through the whole process three times, once with a Memorex DVD-R, once with Maxell DVD-R and once with a Verbatim DVD-R. All three failed to play in my DVD player. Went through the process a fourth time and set the video quality to Fit to Disc and this time everything went fine, but of course the quality of the video isn't as good as if I'd been able to use the high quality setting. Only other option would seem to be cutting part of my production if I want the highest quality and I can't really cut much out. So.... For next year's show I'll have to be more conservative in the number of videos/photos I use. Thanks again. :)

Jim

You're welcome, but I still don't know why you didn't get a good burn, using the HQ setting. That is all that I will use, and the burned DVDs work in my set top DVD payers.

I use Verbatim +R, -R, and +R DL.

You're welcome, but I still don't know why you didn't get a good burn, using the HQ setting. That is all that I will use, and the burned DVDs work in my set top DVD payers.

I use Verbatim +R, -R, and +R DL.

This may be a wild idea but ... I noticed that all failures occured with the full disc iso files and not with the "Fit to disc" option. Could it be that the burner has problems burning "at the edge" or perhaps the reader. "Fit-to-disc" I find does not fill up the disc

Jim

Have you played the problem DVDs on your computers DVD player? What disc space is used on the DVD that you burned with Fit to Disc?

BTW, Memorex and Maxel are considered problem discs and are not really recommended.

Archived