• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Usb Device Installation

Apostle

Question

Hello Folks:

The instruction card says to plug the USB capture device in, then then select cancel when windows asks if I want it to install the driver. problem is I'm running Vista and it does it automatically. I don't get the option to select cancel...then I end up with two devices installed:

1. USB 2861 Capture Device (Driver provider is Microsoft)

2. USB Capture Device (eMPIA driver like the one Jim shows in tips & tricks)

Should I have two devices though?

Also, since these install automatically, I can't use the Roxio disc provided.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm having some audio issues on capture so I want to make sure I have the correct devices installed.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Delete both and redo the install.

With the Device plugged in, go to Device Manager and highlight the first one select Properties and Uninstall it. – there should be a popup box about deleting the driver with it. If that shows up, Check that box!

Do this with both. Unplug the device and reboot.

Plug in the device, insert the Roxio disc and run the Install Drivers portion.

Check Device Manager and all should be well.

Capture some Video and some Audio (30 seconds) and play them back to see how it is working.

Vista is a little shabby in that respect… Doh :huh:

I just installed it on a Vista PC yesterday and kind of lost track as to what was going on

I think I clicked something about disc and since I had the disc in the drive it whirled and Vista found and installed the correct drivers. It works but I haven’t found the setting in Vista to hear the audio during preview.

Yes you get 2 entries in Sound Video ~~~

You should have the drivers I have indicated here, showing when you look at Properties.

If you have all of this, what issues are you still having???

Thanks Jim:

I actually did it a little differently in the meantime...

I opened the properties tab on the Microsoft driver (which I figured out is the audio driver) and selected the "update driver" button. Then had the update search the Roxio CD and it found the correct driver (I think) and installed it. It now doesn't say Microsoft but the correct one.

I captured a video sampling and it seems to be working now, although I'll find out for sure when I test a larger sample.

Thanks so much for you insight and help.

Vista is a little shabby in that respect… Doh :huh:

I just installed it on a Vista PC yesterday and kind of lost track as to what was going on

I think I clicked something about disc and since I had the disc in the drive it whirled and Vista found and installed the correct drivers. It works but I haven’t found the setting in Vista to hear the audio during preview.

Yes you get 2 entries in Sound Video ~~~

You should have the drivers I have indicated here, showing when you look at Properties.

If you have all of this, what issues are you still having???

My drivers don't look exactly like the two you listed. I may be fine, just not sure. I didn't realize there were two listed in your screen shot, I just noticed the one. My second one says something a bit different (2861 device). If I delete it though, I don't seem to get any audio.

My real problem is with the audio as described in a previous post. I still haven't been able to resolve it, but I can't figure out how to insert the link to it.

Archived