How Many Drives

lynn402

Question

I'm putting a lot of my old tapes onto dvd. Some of them I would like to make 6 or 8 copies for family members. I have 2 burners and can burn 2 at a time. How many drives can I add to this unit. I'm using WinXP Pro, sp3 Media Creator 7. My mother board will accept 2 more drives. Can Media Creator burn to more than 2 at a time? Thanks

Lynn402

3 answers to this question

It can burn to every drive you have but at a point of diminishing returns…

First it will burn all at the speed of the slowest burner.

Then it cannot burn faster than you PC can pass an uninterrupted data stream to multiple burners.

In other words, if 2 burners can burn at 12X but 4 burners can only burn at 2X, you lose!

Since you are only running V7 it is likely you don't have the PC Horsepower to do this sort of thing with many burners.

I'm putting a lot of my old tapes onto dvd. Some of them I would like to make 6 or 8 copies for family members. I have 2 burners and can burn 2 at a time. How many drives can I add to this unit. I'm using WinXP Pro, sp3 Media Creator 7. My mother board will accept 2 more drives. Can Media Creator burn to more than 2 at a time? Thanks

Lynn402

I do have a question. Did you burn your project to an ISO file and just copy (using Creator Classic, I believe) the ISO file to the discs? I just did a dozen on one drive and it took about 1/2 to 3/4 hours. Labeling took longer ! :)

If you did not burn to an ISO file, the program has to encode the project as many times as you put new discs in the drive. That could take a lot of extra, unnecessary time.

I do have a question. Did you burn your project to an ISO file and just copy (using Creator Classic, I believe) the ISO file to the discs? I just did a dozen on one drive and it took about 1/2 to 3/4 hours. Labeling took longer ! :)

If you did not burn to an ISO file, the program has to encode the project as many times as you put new discs in the drive. That could take a lot of extra, unnecessary time.

I do have ISO files for all the tapes. My current drives are Pioneer A105 and A108. My CPU is and Intel 3.2 and I have 3 gig ram. Lots of hard drive space. Running both burners at the same time, burn speed is listed at 4.2X. My longest project which is slightly over an hour takes 15 minutes. I was just wondering if I could speed things up a bit. I guess I'll same my money on the new drives. Thanks

Lynn402

Archived