Converting File Only Converts 6 Seconds?

MrT

Question

I'm trying to convert a Video-TS folder and have followed the instructions both in the manual and here in the forum (used

the CONVERT tab, Video Files (not Video_TS Folders). Everything seems to work fine until I hit the red button and Toast begins

to convert. In about 10 seconds, the conversion is complete (it's a 20 minute video!). When I open the converted file, only 6

seconds (22mb) is converted. I tried moving the markers and even deleted the markers and replaced them at the beginning

and end of the video.

What's weird is that the file shows up with the correct amount of video time in the preview tab and it plays in the player for

editing at full length as well.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

That's probably a video recorded with a standalone DVD recorder. They are notorious for having time code breaks about every 30 seconds. There's a couple things you can try.

Option A:

1. Choose Video Files as the format in the Convert window. Insert the source DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop.

2. Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. If you don't see the Media Browser choose Show Media Browser from the Window menu. Double click on what appears in the browser window.

3. Drag the title(s) you want from the Browser to the Convert window. Toast will extract the MPEG2 video file from the VIDEO_TS folder.

4. Click the red button to make your conversion.

Option B:

It is possible the problem will remain. In that case you'll need the help of the application MPEG Streamclip. MPEG Streamclip is freeware but requires a $20 Apple MPEG2 QuickTime Playback Component that can be purchased for download at the online Apple Store.

1. Launch MPEG Streamclip and open your DVD or VIDEO_TS folder. Select the DVD's title you want to convert.

2. Choose Fix time code breaks in MPEG Streamclip's File menu. When that is finished choose Convert to MPEG in the File menu. Streamclip exports the MPEG2 file from the VIDEO_TS folder.

3. Add the exported MPEG2 file to Toast's Convert window and proceed with your conversion.

Guru,

Tried your first solution and you were correct....didn't work.

So, I downloaded the MPEG Streamclip program and followed your instructions.

Now I know why you are the Guru!! Problem solved!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Tom

(PS: You should probably be getting PAID by Roxio since their tech support had me trying all kinds of other things....)

Guru,

Tried your first solution and you were correct....didn't work.

So, I downloaded the MPEG Streamclip program and followed your instructions.

Now I know why you are the Guru!! Problem solved!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Tom

(PS: You should probably be getting PAID by Roxio since their tech support had me trying all kinds of other things....)

You're welcome. I'm doing this for fellow Toast users, not for Roxio, so I'm comfortable with not getting paid (although I'm pleased you think I deserve it).