Dat Tape To Pc

My DAT

Hi, I am trying to transfer my old DAT tapes to my computer. I was wondering if anyone out there has attempted this, and would be willing to share that information. I am using a TEAC DA-P20 with an RCA digital out and as of this writing no way to connect this with the Computer.

Hi, I am trying to transfer my old DAT tapes to my computer. I was wondering if anyone out there has attempted this, and would be willing to share that information. I am using a TEAC DA-P20 with an RCA digital out and as of this writing no way to connect this with the Computer.

Sorry, I do not understand your question. I believe that unit has both RCA analog output and headphone jack. You should be able to use the headphone jack -very carefully to plug into your sound card or directly from the output jack. (From the TEAC page). Do you have a significantly different unit? Are you sure that output is digital?

All you need to do is to have the audio capture program. Creator 2009 (and most of the older versions) have a capture program.

Sorry, I do not understand your question. I believe that unit has both RCA analog output and headphone jack. You should be able to use the headphone jack -very carefully to plug into your sound card or directly from the output jack. (From the TEAC page). Do you have a significantly different unit? Are you sure that output is digital?

All you need to do is to have the audio capture program. Creator 2009 (and most of the older versions) have a capture program.

Personally, I would suggest using the RCA Analog jacks instead as they should have the proper line-level output.

Digital to Digital would probably be better imho - that's why I suggested using the SP/DIF connections. The TEAC does have SP/DIF output and that would connect to an SP/DIF input on the sound card

Ah... I was suggesting the RCA line-out jacks as opposed to the headphone. (Also assuming no SP/DIF input.)

Yes, the digital to digital should be better, as long as the conversion from 48Ksps to 44.1Ksps (assuming going to CD) is done well.

Edited by d_deweywright

Ah... I was suggesting the RCA line-out jacks as opposed to the headphone. (Also assuming no SP/DIF input.)

Yes, the digital to digital should be better, as long as the conversion from 48Ksps to 44.1Ksps (assuming going to CD) is done well.

I have tried the Audio outs from the DAP 20 to the Mic input (software thinks its a line input) with mixed results) For most tracks there is no problem but for some where the Audio dynamics goes from loud to very soft there are drop outs. If I ignore that, the loud parts will clip. If set the input levels for the loud part then the peaks of the soft parts are only recorded.

The computer is Dell Inspiron E1705 with Head phone out, Mic input, IEEE 1394a, and many USB ports.

I have tried the Audio outs from the DAP 20 to the Mic input (software thinks its a line input) with mixed results) For most tracks there is no problem but for some where the Audio dynamics goes from loud to very soft there are drop outs. If I ignore that, the loud parts will clip. If set the input levels for the loud part then the peaks of the soft parts are only recorded.

The computer is Dell Inspiron E1705 with Head phone out, Mic input, IEEE 1394a, and many USB ports.

Don't use the Mic input, use the line-in input. Ah... it's a laptop. Okay, you may want to pick up a USB Audio capture device. Do a little looking and find one that has a volume control built into it for controlling the incoming signal, otherwise the input can be too "hot" and still cause clipping unless you put something in the line to control it. A quick search showed this. (I've not used it and can't comment on it's performance.)

Hope that helps!