• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

C 2009 Won't Launch

John bunyan

Question

Just got Creator 2009 working after a clean reinstall. Then a few days ago installed SP3 for creator 2009, and .Net Framework 3.5 update from MS. Now when I try to launch C2009 a brief Roxio splash appears but no launch. Error in Cineplayer in eventvwr. I am fed up with uninstall/ reinstall. Any views? Co incidentally some programmes in Add/ Remove (XP) do not show option to Cancel/ Remove. Checked for virus and malware with Superantispyware and AVG8. Negative. What next?

20 answers to this question

grandpabruce. The reason I installed the .Net Framework 3.5 update was that MS Update reccomended it as an urgent update. I did not break C 2009, and nowhere have I read not to install MS updates. Will try to uninstall it and see what happens. I would have thought that the SP3 for C2009, so recent, would have taken account of this MS update.

grandpabruce. The reason I installed the .Net Framework 3.5 update was that MS Update reccomended it as an urgent update. I did not break C 2009, and nowhere have I read not to install MS updates. Will try to uninstall it and see what happens. I would have thought that the SP3 for C2009, so recent, would have taken account of this MS update.

Read Daithi's post above yours. The MS 3.5 DID break your running Creator 2009.

You believe what MS recommends? :blink:

Glad you got it sorted - a lot of things on a computer can mess things up. The 'registry' system that is used in Windows is fragile and it does acumulate a lot of stuff over time and then starts to do wierd things and unfortunately there's no real cure. That's why companies brought out 'registry cleaners' (unfortunately some of those go a bit overboard and take out stuff that shouldn't be taken out) but, as I said, my own solution when things start to get top-heavy is re-format and re-install. If you have a second drive, the trick is to move the My Documents folder there and keep an image file of the primary drive with all the apps (freshly installed of course) ready for re-installation when things start going pear-shaped. That re-installs the apps - your data (being on a different drive) is still there - untouched (it also works if you partition the drive and have the data on a separate partition)

Right, I have exactly the same problem. Bought just the damned Creator 2009. I installed it three times on Vista. Second and third time gave no error messages, but when launching the program I can see a quick flick of "Roxio" and then nothing. The program won't launch.

I am really not skilled with computers, so simple tips please! I checked my Vista update history, but could not find the afore mentioned MS 3.5 update, unless it is having completely different file or code in the Vista update list.

So, what to do?

Thanks already in advance!

Thank you, ggrussell and gi7omy. Another UK PC forum consensus seems to favour Avast over AVG8 ( For free anti -virus) so I will look at changing to that. I have now set up (With Acronis True Image 11) separate images of each of two partitions on my primary drive which is 80 Gig for system, programmes etc and 280 for Data. These are on a USB 500 Gig external HD. Also I have a clone of the whole primary drive on a slave SATA drive, same size as primary , in a removable internal caddy , which can be swithched on or off with a key. A bit OTT but I have leart lessons. This seems resolved now, with your help, so thank you. (still wish MS and other software was a bit more user friendly !!)

muyggi. As (Rightly or wrongly) MS is the major software suppiler and is the Windows expert, who am I, a mere customer and non expert end user to be able to decide which of their updates, which appear regularly, to adopt and which to reject? They "look" at ones set up and either automatically or as a reccomended option supply updates. Roxio and other software suppilers should keep in touch to ensure that their updates are in line or robust enough to withstand these things. Here in the UK you cannot even phone the Roxio tech support as you can for Adobe, or even a simple £20 programme like Radiotracker. These forums are much appreciated by those of us who just want to use the PC raher than having to constantly tinker with it.

Guys

Look at Internet Explorer 7 which MS is STILL classing as a 'critical' update - that broke a LOT of applications. Media Player 11 (classed as 'recommended' also broke applications (both were Vista backports)

The service pack for dotNET 3.5 removed a needed .dll file

Now all of those were done by MS

MS have made quite a few bloopers over the years and no doubt will continue to do so

To phone Roxio in GB? Simple - just dial 0905 1211 189 (£1/Minute)

Monday to Thursday - 8:30 to 17:30 GMT

Friday - 8:30 to 16:30 GMT (excluding holidays)

In the end I used Acronis True Image 11 to clone back a couple of weeks to when all was well. Two problems had happened in the meantime, a false trojan report from AVG8 - I deleted these from both current and back up - so back up did not work, Turned out they were good Adobe CS4 folders!. Second, I suspect the dreaded .NET Framework 3.5 update did not install properly and it seemed to cause C2009 to only show a Roxio splash. I have now got all running and do not intend to re install the 3.5 update withot a thourough back up /image ready. Can I assume advice from here is not to install the 3.5 update?

Guys

Look at Internet Explorer 7 which MS ...

Sure, it may be the case that MS is bringing updates without testing them properly, but as John bunyan said, we are not experts and to me the main interest here is to find the solution for the problem. I may (I don't know) have the .Net framework 3.5 upgrade done, can't help it anymore. So, what should I do to get the program work with Vista?

What would be the simple steps I should take in order to get it work with my Vista? You were talking about some deleted dll file? If that is the problem, then how can I solve it without going back to Vista version "way back when"? I would try to give it another try, but if there is no solution for that, then I guess I need to take the Roxio back to store and get my money back.

Thanks for your help!

Before doing anything else, check this msdn webpage

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...6-9a5581782061/

milcore.dll can be found here

http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/rframes...info_m/1045.htm

No guarantees that it will fix your system - Windows has been known to go belly-up after a period (personally, I always re-format and re-install every 6 months or so just to stop the registry falling over itself)

gi7omy.

Thanks for phone no to Roxio tech. But at £1 per minute !!! The US terms show free support in the USA for a period after purchase - why is Europe not similar? Adobe and a number of other software suppliers offer free (cost of local call only) help too - eg Happuage, Avanquest , and with Roxio one could soon clock up a bill equal to the cost of the software. If the problems were the sort that are caused by misuse by the buyer, fair enough, but this forum illustrates the many problems with Creator 2009 - a fine programme when running well but , I think, more for gurus like you than normal end users. I have already done about 3 or 4 clean re installs between Creator 10 and Creator 2009 (missing EMC11 - solved with help here), and am an unhappy customer with regard to the after sales service from Roxio. I will try the .dll route suggested above , or clone back with Acronis True Image 11 to about 2 weeks ago when all was well. The marketing approach from Roxio leaves a lot to be desired. I doubt if more than 1 in 100 do a complete re install of Windows so frequently as you, if for no other reson than the amount and complexity of the updates. I bought the suite mainly for music editing and disc managment (have Photoshop CS4) and will regret having to consider and learn other software fir what I need if I cannot soon solve these annoying and time consuming problems.

Thanks Daithi! I checked my system32 directory and the milcore.dll file actually is there. So, it seems that it is not the root cause to my case, unless it is corrupted or something. I found from system problem history following description related to Creator 2009.

Description

Stopped working

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: roxiocentralfx.exe

Problem Signature 02: 4.12.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 48a05348

Problem Signature 04: RoxioCentralFx

Problem Signature 05: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 48a05348

Problem Signature 07: 106

Problem Signature 08: 50

Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Does this help at all to identify the potential root cause for the program not launching with Vista?

Interesting...... Avast! blocks that site for me and labels it as 'malicious'. Hmmmm So many anti-virus apps and false positives, but I suppose that better than not catching them at all.

Professional jealousy? :lol:

I get in with symantec running but it has been recommended by quite a few people on the Windows 7 beta groups

Just got Creator 2009 working after a clean reinstall. Then a few days ago installed SP3 for creator 2009, and .Net Framework 3.5 update from MS. Now when I try to launch C2009 a brief Roxio splash appears but no launch. Error in Cineplayer in eventvwr. I am fed up with uninstall/ reinstall. Any views? Co incidentally some programmes in Add/ Remove (XP) do not show option to Cancel/ Remove. Checked for virus and malware with Superantispyware and AVG8. Negative. What next?

Why did you install the MS .Net Framework 3.5 udpate??? You broke your working Creator 2009.

Uninstall the MS update - if it worked before that, then that's the culprit

I know that the service pack for 3.5 did affect installation (it removed a needed .dll file) - in your case it seems to have hit the suite

Archived