• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recommendations On Defragging

vid2man97

I've been putting up with win xp's defrag for so long and have always meant to do something about it and I thinking now's finally the time.

I've looked at two possibles, Diskeeper and Perfectdisk.

Any product can look great on a website, but an ounce of personal experience is worth a ton of write-up on a webpage. I've come to trust the opinions of the folks here so I'm back asking for advice on whether either of these perform as promised, or if there's an alternate that's better.

thanks in advance...

I've been putting up with win xp's defrag for so long and have always meant to do something about it and I thinking now's finally the time.

Any product can look great on a website, but an ounce of personal experience is worth a ton of write-up on a webpage. I've come to trust the opinions of the folks here so I'm back asking for advice on whether either of these perform as promised, or if there's an alternate that's better.

thanks in advance...

I think that either one is good. I use Diskeeper Pro 2008 and like it.

thanks in advance...

Auslogics disc defragmenter. :) it is free and fast.

I've used Diskeeper in the past and it's been a good product. I don't know if any of the products will optimize program placement on disk but then large disk caches have mitigated disk arm movement delays. You might want to also consider larger drives with 16mb or larger caches and spinning at 10,000 rpm or faster. Then you will not have to defrag nearly as often. A slower defrag program might be OK if you can schedule it to run while you sleep.

Thanks to all, and yes I was leaning towards Diskeeper pro.

The two I mentioned are supposed to optimize program placement and defrag in real time. They say it happens during idle time

I followed the link to auslogic, and it was for the registry defrag but I found the disk defragger too. Thanks.

I could try it out since the price is right and if I don't feel it's doing as good a job as I need, I could shell out for the other.

thanks again

For those who don't know.....

Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows 2000 include a tool for disk defragmentation. The Windows Disk Defragmenter tool is a limited version of the Diskeeper program from Diskeeper Corporation. Disk Defragmenter does not include all the features available in the full version of Diskeeper.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;130539

cd

Just tried out Win7 beta's defrag program and althought it seem to be faster than Vista or XP's defrag program, it still seems slow to me. But as long as you have HD designs that have platters spinning around at upwards of 10,000 rpm, placing bits of information all over the place, I guess you would expect it would rtake a little time. Depending on how bad the disk is fragmented etc. certainly would define how fast the defrag goes. Tha's why I can't wait for a huge flash type drive rather than a spinning drive.

Win7 has the options to defrag all of the drives in your system, has no graphis, and has the option to analyze and/or defrag. The fact that most of my drives had previously been defragged not to long ago, it didn't take win7 long to defrag each of my drives. I still like Austlogic's defrag program.

Frank...

Dump Windows. Linux ext3 file system doesn't need defragging. ;)

It may not need defragging but Linux still has a ways to go before it can be considered a true replacement for even the robust of users. I wouldn't switch to Linux just due to the fact it doesn't need to be defragged and even with the ridiculous cost of Windows, it'll be a long while before the world gets use to it and there are good software alternatives to Windows.

Curious, What type of HD does your computer have ??

Frank...

Two 250GB WD SATA drives.

It may not need defragging but Linux still has a ways to go before it can be considered a true replacement for even the robust of users. I wouldn't switch to Linux just due to the fact it doesn't need to be defragged and even with the ridiculous cost of Windows, it'll be a long while before the world gets use to it and there are good software alternatives to Windows.

I can do everything on Linux that I did on Windoze and even better! That includes Photoshop and a few other must have apps running on Wine. For the rest, I have found open source apps that outperform their Windoze counterparts including amazing video editing. ;)

I've attempted a few things in Wine and was not impressed at all. I see what could be but for me, not what is (at least on my machine).

It's not worth continuing this subject in this thread though so we best leave it to what the OP asked about and that's suggestions and opinions on defragging software. I think (hope) he got what he needed.

I'm back and I tried out Auslogic.

It sure is a step above winxp's basic version.

Disckeeper has a 30 trial so I'll give that a shot to see if it can really tidy things up more such as the mtf and paging files as they claim.

As always, I appreciate the time everyone took to offer advice.

I'm back and I tried out Auslogic.

It sure is a step above winxp's basic version.

Disckeeper has a 30 trial so I'll give that a shot to see if it can really tidy things up more such as the mtf and paging files as they claim.

As always, I appreciate the time everyone took to offer advice.

The odd thing is, if you run Diskeeper and then run Auslogics (or vice versa) you'll still think nothing has changed after the defrag. I'm not 100% sure why but they do their business differently so using 2 different defragmenters might not be a good idea.......if that's what you plan on doing.

This article might shed a little light on defraggers.

Thanks for the link to the tests.

It appears that (compared to last year's versions at least), auslogic is just as good.

The only issues I was wondering about (in diskeeper's new version) was its ability to place programs optimally, along with defragging the mtf and page files. I did note though that auslogic is planning to include that in the future too (mtf), so maybe waiting and saving a few dollars would be the way to go for now.

I use Diskeeper- the new 2009 version infact. It's really really good..apart from the ability to defrag system files and sequence files for faster access, it's best feature (IMO) is the 'invisible' fully automatic background defrag. Once I set it, I've never bothered to defrag my drives. I have 4 big HDDs and Diskeeper always keeps them well organized. It can defrag all of them at the same time too...but I've never bothered to test this feature. IMO, Diskeeper >> Auslogics.

Thanks for the link to the tests.

It appears that (compared to last year's versions at least), auslogic is just as good.

The only issues I was wondering about (in diskeeper's new version) was its ability to place programs optimally, along with defragging the mtf and page files. I did note though that auslogic is planning to include that in the future too (mtf), so maybe waiting and saving a few dollars would be the way to go for now.

Sounds like you have thigs pretty well thought out. Keep up the good work and don't miss any drag races, O.K. ? :lol:

Frank...

Archived