• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Moving Media Files To A New Drive

dbail10

Question

Up to this point, I’ve kept all of my videos and pictures on an external drive. I save all of my projects and ISOs on this drive as well. I’ve just purchased a much larger NAS unit to store all of my media files going forward because I’ve had some intermittent issues with the current drive. I want to move all of the files on my current external drive to the NAS unit. As I’ve learned the hard way before, when you move these files, it messes up the reference pointers in projects since it’s expected the files will be where they were when they were initially associated with the project. You can re-associate the links later on, but this is a manual process and I’d have to do it for a couple of hundred projects. Is there any way to move the files to the new drive and minimize the issue of broken file associations? I appreciate the help.

8 answers to this question

Put them in the same place you had them before.

Actually it is pretty painless as long as everything is in the same folder or 2. Point to the new place and it will look there next time it gets stumped.

Yes, I was going to just move everything over as is so the folder references will be the same. The problem is, the drive letter will be different. The files currently reside on drive E:, the new drive will be L:. So I'll still have the issue with every project I've got. The reason this is particularly complicated is that most of my projects use files that reside in a variety of different folders (on the same drive) Any simple way to deal with this?

Thanks.

Yes, I was going to just move everything over as is so the folder references will be the same. The problem is, the drive letter will be different. The files currently reside on drive E:, the new drive will be L:. So I'll still have the issue with every project I've got. The reason this is particularly complicated is that most of my projects use files that reside in a variety of different folders (on the same drive) Any simple way to deal with this?

Thanks.

Unless you rename the drives, the answer is no.

Even though you have a hundred projects, you could have VideoWave re-associate the projects on an as needed basis. You woudn't have to do them all at one time.

Thanks.

If you can recreate the identical folder structure on the new drive L: that you have on drive E: then there is a fairly simple (??) way to change the drive letter from drive E: to drive L: in the project file.

This assumes that you have MS Word available or some XML editor.

Assuming all your projects are either Videowave or myDVD projects with extensions dmsm and dmsd respectively

For videowave projects, Movie.dmsm with associated Movie.dat file

-you can delete the Movie.dat file (it will be recreated)

-make a copy of the Movie.dmsm file, eg copyMovie.dmsm, as a backup

-change the dmsm extension, eg., Movie.dmsm to Movie.xlm

-then replace the E: with L:

-when all replacements made, change extension back to dmsm

-test modified file.

The same procedure should work with dmsd files.

I would test this procedure first with a small sample project before trying it on bigger projects.

Possibly a simpler solution would be to go to control panel, admin tools and disk management.

There you can swap the drive letters round - give the existing E drive a new letter, then go to L and rename that E

Awesome! Thanks, this would make the move a lot easier.

Archived