• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Files Locking Up Creator

davidpaluck

Question

I have a stand alone Philips DVD recorder with hard drive that I used to transfer analog home movies onto DVD's. When I try to import files from those DVD's each video from the DVD is listed twice. I import one then try to work with it in the Creator timeline. The videos will start playing OK. If I move to a later point in the video, the video locks up but the audio keeps playing. The software is then locked up and I have to force quit.

I also have some DVD's my brother created using Pinnacle. When I import these the video is only listed once. They import fine and there are no problems moving to various points in the video. Any ideas why the DVD's from the Philips recorder won't work? I'm using:

Windows XP Pro

Ver 2002 SP 3

Dell Latitude D531

AMD Athlon 64X2

Dual Core Processor TK-57

798 MHz 1.87GB RAM

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I am guessing you are using 'dash' media to record with?

If so you must Finalize or Close the discs in your Recorder before you can use them in your PC.

If you use 'plus' media it is not a factor.

I'm using DVD+R disks and finalizing them. I tried not finalizing, but then they show as blank on my computer.

I'm using DVD+R disks and finalizing them. I tried not finalizing, but then they show as blank on my computer.

One thing I didn't ask was how long these files are or what Quality you are recording them at? – I did one last week using the Flex Recording and smeared 7 hours and 51 minutes onto a disc! I could only get 3+ back off of the disc but the full disc did play in the Recorder. But if you are using something like the EP setting it may be that the recording rate is too low for Roxio to work with.

One thing I didn't ask was how long these files are or what Quality you are recording them at? – I did one last week using the Flex Recording and smeared 7 hours and 51 minutes onto a disc! I could only get 3+ back off of the disc but the full disc did play in the Recorder. But if you are using something like the EP setting it may be that the recording rate is too low for Roxio to work with.

Initially I put about 2 hours on the disk. I then tried the same video divided into 10 to 30 minute chunks with the same result. The quality was about medium trasferring from the analog camera to the recorder hard drive. When burning from the recorder hard drive to DVD it uses the initial quality setting. I could try using high quality from the camera to the recorder to see it that helps.

Set the Recorder to HQ for recording. They all can be set and no telling what yours may be set at. Might have to crack open the manual... :D

Always run video at the highest quality you can. If you need to scrimp on quality to fit something on later OK, but if you scrimp on quality up front, you can never get it back!

It shouldn't really matter, but I would get some new Verbatim RW discs to do this sort of work.

Set the Recorder to HQ for recording. They all can be set and no telling what yours may be set at. Might have to crack open the manual... :D

Always run video at the highest quality you can. If you need to scrimp on quality to fit something on later OK, but if you scrimp on quality up front, you can never get it back!

It shouldn't really matter, but I would get some new Verbatim RW discs to do this sort of work.

I imported the video recorded with HQ and now it works - thanks for your help!