• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NEW VIRUS -Trojan Freezes Computer, Demands Ransom

The Highlander

A new kind of malware circulating on the Internet freezes a computer and then asks for a ransom paid through the Western Union Holdings money transfer service.

A sample of the Trojan horse virus was sent to Sophos, a security vendor, said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant. The malware, which Sophos named Troj/Ransom-A, is one of only a few viruses so far that have asked for a ransom in exchange for releasing control of a computer, Cluley said.

The new Trojan falls into a class of viruses described as "ransomware." The schemes had been seen in Russia, but the first one appeared in English just last month.

"It is a new kind of malware with a particularly nasty payload," Cluley said.

It's unclear how the Trojan is being spread, although Sophos is investigating, Cluley said. Viruses can be spread in several ways, including through spam or a so-called drive-by download that exploits a browser vulnerability when a user visits a malicious Web site.

PC Frozen, Files at Risk

Once run, the Trojan freezes the computer, displaying a message saying files are being deleted every 30 minutes. It then gives instructions on how to send $10.99 via Western Union to free the computer.

Hitting the control, alt, and delete keys will not affect the bug, the virus writer warns. Sophos provides further details at its Web site.

The virus writer even offers tech support, Cluley said. If the method of unlocking the computer doesn't work after the money is sent, the virus writer promises to research the problem and includes an e-mail address.

Last month, a Trojan emerged that encrypts a user's documents and then leaves a file demanding $300 in exchange for the password to access the information. Victims were instructed to send money to one of 99 accounts run by e-gold, a company that runs a money transfer site.

The password, however, was contained on the infected computer. Sophos cracked it and publicly released it.

Read full artical here

Sounds like these clowns are small time idiots. However, personally I think anyone that writes a virus or malware with the intent on stealing or denying me access to my computer and files I worked my butt off for, deserves.....well, I can't use that kind of language.

I guess I have a way different "funny bone" in me than you do Lynn :huh: BTW, how are you protecting yourself from it happening to you ? I'd be curious to know. And should it happen to me, I'll quit laughing and ask for some donations to pay off the ransom. GOT MILK ? :):D:D

Frank......

Monkey see, monkey do. So now we have another one showing up today telling you to visit their website to unlock your files for a price. Luckily these guys are also amateurs and the key codes are available from antivirus companies. Is it so hard to get an honest job and work for a living?

Archived