Dark Scene Distortion

julianal

Question

i have just started with 2009, i have burned several dvd projects from avi and wvm files, some ep some lp some sp. i find that dark scenes, particularly night and very dark background, show extreme pixelation around the perimeter and distortion (often, not always). The brighter scenes are fine. (sometimes very fine horizontal lines on very dark background as well). What am i missing/doing or not doing?

thanks,

5 answers to this question

Do you have Creator 2009 or EMC10? We would like to get your post in the right area.

DVD's at best quality (HQ) play best but are limited to about 1 hour of play.

You can never make a DVD better than its source files.

But if your source files are good quality then every notch below HQ you set the output to, you degrade video quality… You can't cheat with video

:lol:

Just recently updated to creator 2009. can i edit/filter to smooth it out some, tone it down, equalize a little? I'm asking questions i don't really know what i mean, hopefully you do. i went back and looked at a couple of the sources on the computer, and i can see where it is from, but not near as bad as it shows up on a tv (not hd)

thanks,

J

Just recently updated to creator 2009. can i edit/filter to smooth it out some, tone it down, equalize a little? I'm asking questions i don't really know what i mean, hopefully you do. i went back and looked at a couple of the sources on the computer, and i can see where it is from, but not near as bad as it shows up on a tv (not hd)

thanks,

J

VideoWave is your Editor where you tinker with the poor tapes you shot

But you have to keep in mind that all of this Video Magic you see on TV at night is pure Hollywood fiction. If all the pixels in a scene are Black, you can 'enhance' for the rest of your natural life and they will still be black!

In VW what I do is split the scene at the beginning and end then you can do a few things like Brightness Contrast Color but less than the tools that come in a dedicated photo package…

In the end, a lot of stuff can't be salvaged.

roger that and thanks. it would be nice if the black stays black. sometimes it gets very grainy and pixelated. I guess it picks up whatever minor variations there are and "enhances" them.

Julian

The .avis should be good. The WMV are junk to begin with, so they will only get worse, once encoded.

If you do the editing in VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), and the burning of you VideoWave file, in MyDVD (Create DVDs-Advanced), make sure, that in MyDVD, the Quality setting, at the bottom of the screen, is set to High Quality (HQ). The default setting is Fit To Disc, and that gives a poorer quality DVD.

Do you have Creator 2009 or EMC10? We would like to get your post in the right area.

DVD's at best quality (HQ) play best but are limited to about 1 hour of play.

You can never make a DVD better than its source files.

But if your source files are good quality then every notch below HQ you set the output to, you degrade video quality… You can't cheat with video

:lol:

Archived