• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blu-ray Copying

Peter Barder

Question

I recently purchased Creator 2009 primarily to make back up copies of Blu-Ray I have created from a Panasonic AVCHD camcorder.

The first stage of the copying process works fine i.e. copies the original Blu-Ray into a temporary folder. When instructed to insert a blank BD-R or BD-RE disk in my external Blu-Ray burner (LG) I receive a message which states that the source file is too large for the output disk. This is obviously incorrect as the file is well within the 25GB capacity of the new BD disk - in fact it is an identical, blank, disk.

Roxio Technocal Support suggested I should download the latest PX Engine, which I have done and check my Blu-Ray drive manufacturer for any formware updates, which I have also done (they were none !). Since then, 3 weeks have past and I cannot get any further response out of Roxio.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Copying one disk to another should be the most basic of operations, but does not seem to work in my case.

I cannot even get Roxio to respond on a refund under their 30 day unconditional refund policy !

17 answers to this question

Thanks for your patience ggrussell ! I don't have the Creator 2009 software to hand as it is on my machine at home and I am posting this from my office, so I cannot be 100% sure about the application I am using within Creator 2009. All I can recall is that once it has opened, there is a short list of applications on the first page one of which offers the option to Copy a disk. On my earlier version of Creator this was all I needed to do to make back up copies of DVD's.

Is it possible that the UK version of Creator 2009 is different to the US ?

I have checked the features listed for Creator 2009 by Roxio on their UK website and under the heading Burning & Copying it states (and I quote) "Copy discs in a few clicks, including the latest Blu-ray discs".

I have noticed that Roxio are marketing an plug-in for Creator 2009:-

High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-In

Affordable Blu-ray video authoring!

The new, and easy-to-use, High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-In for Creator 2009 gives users the ability to author high-definition video content on to Blu-ray discs.

I do not have this as I have authoring software on Ulead VideoStudio - do you think I will need this anyway just to make Blu-ray copies ?

Thanks for the suggestion but having invested in Creator 2009 which according to Roxio's own comparison chart provides all the same functionality of MyDVD and more, I don't really see the point.

Both MyDVD and Creator 2009 claim to be able to copy Blu-Ray disks in a few clicks - at this moment in time I am not inclined to believe this statement nor inclined to throw money at more Roxio products.

I've made the investment in upgrading my Ulead software to work with my AVCHD camcorder, an external LG Blu-Ray burner for my laptop, and a Sony Blu-Ray player for the TV. All I want Creator for is to make straight copies of my rendered and authored Blu-Ray films - if it cannot do this I can burn more copies direct from Ulead. It just a lengthier process, that's all.

My film productions are small at present because I have just moved up to Hi-Def and am experimenting, but soon I will need the capacity of Blu-ray disks to burn the larger file sizes. so really need to crack this copying problem.

What's really beginning to *^$$ me off is Roxio's complete silence now that I have asked them to honour their 30 day unconditional refund policy ! I thought they were a reputable company, but I guess they're just like any other vendor .... tell you what you want to hear to close the sale, and then go to ground when you ask for a refund 'cos their product does not perform as promised !

I guess this finishes our correspondence - I'll post another item if I ever hear from Roxio Support again with the solution (or refund !). Many thanks for your help.

Response from Roxio Support is as follows:-

"Please try the following: with your BD disc in the drive, open the home page of Creator 2009 and select Data-Copy->Copy Disc to Image. Under Choose Image select the location and select the image format as .iso.

Once the .iso file has been created, simply double click on it and Creator will start burning the disc, hopefully correctly.Please let us know the exat size of the .iso file.

Another detail: you mention that you created the disc from Ulead VideoStudio and that the project is 4.7 GB, or thereabout, in size. Is the 4.7 GB file the authored output or is it just the file from the camcorder which you then author in VideoStudio? If it’s the latter, make sure that VideoStudio does not by default chooses the equivalent of “Fit to Disc”, meaning it will try and make the authored content fit within the limits of the BD disc. In that case different software might not be able to make an exact copy due to the incompatible algorhythm used to compress the video. If it’s the former then making an image file should get round your problem."

I have not tried creating the *.iso file format yet but will let you know the outcome. The final paragraph is irrelevant as the file size of just under 5GB is the final authored output file size.

I suspect that the Ulead may be the problem…

I am hoping you have some RE discs. As another experiment, make a Data disc with Roxio onto an RE. Then see if it will copy that disc to another RE. – this should confirm that BD to BD can be copied or it cannot!

If it does, then I would suspect that there is something in the Ulead BD Movie burn that is out of Standard to what Roxio is expecting…

I'm confused -- LOL. Not sure what size has to do with it if you're copying one disc to another. Of course, it should fit, but seems to be a bit of wasted space to burn that on 25GB BD disc.

You could probably burn a similar project in MyDVD 11 using the new AVCHD to standard DVD option and burn it to a 8.5GB dual layer DVD. Cheaper, too. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion but having invested in Creator 2009 which according to Roxio's own comparison chart provides all the same functionality of MyDVD and more, I don't really see the point.
I'm confused or you are. MyDVD is included with Creator 2009 which you stated in the first post that you own. Creator 2009 also includes Videowave for editing video and MyDVD for authoring.

I understand WHY you purchased Creator 2009, but it also has the ability to create AVCHD on a standard DVD. I don't think that Ulead can do that. If AVCHD on standard DVD will work for you, why waste the space and money on BD blanks? You seem to be ignoring the editing and authoring abilities of Creator 2009.

Sorry - I'm a bit of a novice with some of this ! The original application I'm using to create the Blu-Ray disk is Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11+ which supports the AVCHD format my camcorder uses. This contains the authoring software which allows me to create a Blu-Ray disk for my final output. The Blu-Ray disk plays fine on my home Blu-Ray player - it's a Sony but I cannot recall the model off-hand.

As far as Creator 2009 is concerned I bought it online because the specification quoted by Roxio states that it supports Blu-Ray and will allow copies to me made. I am not using any of the authoring or editing elements in Creator 2009 - I am simply using the section that allows you make copies.

As I mentioned, the 1st stage works fine as it copies the original disk to a temporary folder. It just keeps coming up with the error message about the file size when I swap the original disk for a new blank one.

Hope you got my message reply earlier - for some reason I could not add a reply on the forum. Maybe I upset Roxio with my comments and got locked out ! I've downloaded the software you suggested and will try it shortly. By the way, Roxio have responded re a refund so I withdraw my earlier comments !!

Hope you got my message reply earlier - for some reason I could not add a reply on the forum. Maybe I upset Roxio with my comments and got locked out ! I've downloaded the software you suggested and will try it shortly. By the way, Roxio have responded re a refund so I withdraw my earlier comments !!

The website does that from time to time - has a severe case of hiccups and messages go astray ;)

I am not using any of the authoring or editing elements in Creator 2009 - I am simply using the section that allows you make copies.
That still didn't answer my question. Creator 2009 has several ways to 'copy' a disc. Which one are you using? From the 'Home' Application or something else? Personally, I can't find anything that will copy Bluray.

It just keeps coming up with the error message about the file size when I swap the original disk for a new blank one.
Mostly likely because it thinks it will write that back to a DVD. I don't see anywhere to set the size in the Home Copy Disc.

I know burning such a small file to a BD disk is a bit of a waste given their cost but the whole point about editing the family holidays, ski trips etc. is to keep them short and sweet. Nobody wants to sit through 2 hours of unedited rubbish ! I want to create the copies so I can send the disks out to family members with Blu-Ray players and Hi-Def TV's so I really only want to put on one movie at a time.

Anyway, unfortunately the suggestion from Roxio Support about creating an image file first did not work. Below is my feedback to them:-

"Thanks you srizzo for your assistance and suggestions. Unfortunately copying the original BD disk to an image file did not work. Creator 2009 would not allow me to select the *.iso file format - it came up with a message that the *.iso file format was not compatible with the original file content on the BD disk. It did allow me to use the only other file format on offer - *.gi - but this rather strangely created 4 separate file of varying sizes:- 984KB, 1.99GB, 1.99GB and 1.88GB. This lot totals just over 6.8GB whereas the original BD disk content totals 5.9GB. I tried double-clicking on all the files created as you suggested but this did absolutely nothing.

Your point about the file size is not relevant as I never use the "fit to disc" option in VideoStudio. The file sizes I have been quoting to you are the authored output file sizes of the completed projects."

(For clarification, I tried using a different Blu-Ray original for this exercise of 5.9GB, just in case the one 4.7GB one I first tried was corrupt in some way).

Although this way failed, what is interesting is the way Creator 2009 would only allow a maximum image filesize of 1.99GB to be created. This reminds me of some of the restrictions in earlier versions of VideoStudio which only allowed you to download digital footage from DV camcorders in bites of 1.99GB. The point is if Creator 2009 is restricting the image filesize to 1.99GB does this in some way explain why I was getting the original error message about the file size being too large for the output disk ?

I cannot find anywhere in Creator 2009 where you can change Preferences or Options, in case there is a restriction on file sizes which can be removed or increased.

I could author a short movie in Ulead that is under 1.99GB, burn to a Blu-Ray disk and then try to copy it in Creator 2009. What do you think ?

Archived