Easy CD Creator 3.x

pegathaf

Help!

My HP computer came with Easy CD Creator 3.01D (422) and DirectCD 2.5 (96) pre-installed. The programs are part of my Windows 98 Recovery Disk. I want to upgrade but I can’t get a clean uninstall of these antique versions. My registry is loaded with leftover references that do not seem to be addressed in any Roxio Knowledgebase Uninstall info that I can find. Can anyone tell me where I can find the instructions to manually remove these old versions from my registry?

All advice is welcome :).

Hello,

It is quite possible that the Roxio uninstaller Roxizap (see the messages pinned at the top of the V5 forum for details and location of this) might do the trick for you, but I have not tested it on a version 3 installation.

There was never a 'clean uninstall' instruction written for version 3, but V3 and V4 were extremely close in structure so I think that the version 4 clean uninstall instructions should cover your needs quite happily, with perhaps only small changes.

Here is a V4 clean uninstall file I prepared earlier. Please try it, and feel free to come back here with any questions.

- - - - - - - -

Note: This article applies to uninstalling/reinstalling Easy CD Creator 4 only, if you are using Easy CD Creator 5 there is a separate article available.

Note: if you are running Windows NT or 2000, login as ADMINISTRATOR, not just a user with administrative rights.

1. Click Start button and select "Setting" then "Control Panel" menu options.

2. Select the "Add/Remove" programs icon.

3. Select and remove all Easy CD Creator programs and remove all shared files when prompted.

Next Clean Easy CD Creator completely from your system:

1. Go to "Start" and then to "My Computer" and select it.

2. Go into your C:\ drive (C:\ is default install drive, compensate accordingly if you installed in another location)

3. Go into the "Program Files" Folder

4. Look for a "Adaptec" folder and if found delete it

5. Look for a "Direct CD" folder and if found delete it

6. Go into the "Common Files" Folder

7. Look for an "Adaptec" and/or "Adaptec Shared" folder and if found delete them.

8. Go into the "InstallShield" Folder (C:\Program Files\Common File\InstallShield and rename the "Engine" and "IScript" folders to "Engine .ROX" and "Iscript.ROX"

9. Go to "Start" then "Search", look in C:\ (or the drive where your operating system is located) and search for:

Cdr4vsd.sys or .vxd

Cdr4dll.dll or .vsd

Cdrpwd.vxd

Cdralvsd.vxd

Cdral.dll

Cdrtc.dll

Enginst.exe

Uneng.exe

10. Rename any of those files you can find, changing their extensions to .ROX (Right click on the file name and choose "rename") You can restore the function of these files by restoring the original name if you need to, else they can be deleted when you're sure you don't need them any more.

WARNING: THE NEXT 6 STEPS INVOLVE EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. ROXIO STRONGLY RECOMMENDS YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE. THEY RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE EDITING YOUR REGISTRY THAT YOU SKIP THESE STEPS.

(Despite that, these steps are necessary to cleanly uninstall version 4 from your system)

1. Click Start button and select "Run" menu option.

2. Type "regedit" and click OK button.

2a.Click on "Registry" and select "Export Registry File"

2b.Give a filename and your registry will be exported to a text file of that name

2c.If you ever need to restore the registry, come back to here, select "Import registry file" and import that file you made.

3. Select Hkey_Current_User/software, highlight and remove the following key: Adaptec

4. Select Hkey_Local_Machine/software, highlight and remove the following key: Adaptec

5. Exit the registry editor.

6. Perform system restart.

- - - - - -

Archived