• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Limited Record Time Left

BagpiperDude

Question

I am attempting to capture digital video taken from a Sony DCR-TRV340 NTSC Hi-8 video camera using the Roxio Media Import application. The problem I'm having is that the "Record Time Left:" only gives me a maximum of 18 minutes of record time and the "Space Left on Drive:" only shows 4GB. The video I'm attempting to transfer is an hour long and I have 100GB of space left on my harddrive. I'm using the capture setting of "DV". After the capture process goes for eighteen minutes I get a message indicating I no longer have any disc space available when in fact I actually have over a 100GB of space available.

I have looked in several forums and I cannot seem to find a way to increase the "Record Time Left" to actually reflect the full length of the video.

I'm using an S-Video cable and the Roxio Video Capture USB device along with Roxio Create 2009 Ultimate.

I looked at a particular question that seemed to indicate I needed a FireWire (1394) connection cable in order to transfer from my video camera to a DV AVI format. If this is the case then I have no problem doing it that way and I'm assuming the software will show that as a option under the device import using the Media Import application.

Here is my computer configuration

Dell XPS M1730

320GB Harddrive

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.5GHz

3GB RAM

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT

21 answers to this question

According to the Sony web site, the DCR-TRV340 is a digital 8mm camcorder. Although it can playback Hi8mm, it records in digital 8mm. I have the TRV740 and Creator 2009 works fine with it. You shouldn't need any additional drivers.

With the computer on, connect the camcorder with the firewire cable.

Turn the camcorder to Playback mode

WAIT for Windows to recognize the camcorder. You will hear a sound and a small icon will show in the systray and a pop-up window. If this does not happen, go no further because Creator 2009 won't recognize it.

When properly recognized, the camcorder will also show up in Device Manager. RIGHT mouse click on My Computer and select Manage. Click on Device Manager in the left pane. In the right pane, click on the + sign beside Imaging Devices. If the camcorder shows up there, you are ready to run Media Import 11.

post-49-1233842629.jpg

post-49-1233842636.jpg

post-49-1233842643.jpg

It is a FAT32 external harddrive (Toshiba 320GB external harddrive).

If you are going to capture to that drive, you will be limited to 4gb at a time as noted earlier. To capture more, like the whole tape, you'll need to convert the file system on the drive to NTFS.

This applies to any drive you are going to capture to.

It is a FAT32 external harddrive (Toshiba 320GB external harddrive).

That is you problem FAT32. You will never be able to capture any file larger then 4GB not even with Firewire!

Too bad you didn't answer the questions about this asked at the beginning of the thread, could have saved a lot of back and forth :rolleyes:

To quickly see whether a hard drive is FAT32 or NTFS, in Windows Explorer right click on a drive and the click Properties. The File System will be shown.

I want to thank you all for your help. Because of your suggestions and recommendations I am now able to properly copy the entire Hi-8 video to an AVI format.

.....the "Space Left on Drive:" only shows 4GB.....

Is the file system of your drive FAT32 by chance? If so, that may be why it is showing it that way. FAT32 has a size limit of 4GB per file. If it is FAT32, convert it to NTFS and you won't have that limitation.

I am attempting to capture digital video taken from a Sony DCR-TRV340 NTSC Hi-8 video camera using the Roxio Media Import application. The problem I'm having is that the "Record Time Left:" only gives me a maximum of 18 minutes of record time and the "Space Left on Drive:" only shows 4GB. The video I'm attempting to transfer is an hour long and I have 100GB of space left on my harddrive. I'm using the capture setting of "DV". After the capture process goes for eighteen minutes I get a message indicating I no longer have any disc space available when in fact I actually have over a 100GB of space available.

I have looked in several forums and I cannot seem to find a way to increase the "Record Time Left" to actually reflect the full length of the video.

I'm using an S-Video cable and the Roxio Video Capture USB device along with Roxio Create 2009 Ultimate.

I looked at a particular question that seemed to indicate I needed a FireWire (1394) connection cable in order to transfer from my video camera to a DV AVI format. If this is the case then I have no problem doing it that way and I'm assuming the software will show that as a option under the device import using the Media Import application.

Here is my computer configuration

Dell XPS M1730

320GB Harddrive

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.5GHz

3GB RAM

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT

You should be using Firewire connection to capture from your digital camcorder as recommended by by Roxio. USB will give poor quallity if it works at all. As to your space problem it may well be as Larry has indicated.

Not all is lost here. My 320GB harddrive on my laptop is an NTFS harddrive (I looked to verify if there was a difference between the external harddrive). I will relent and have the video saved to my internal harddrive since it seems it will copy more than 4GB.

On this same line of discussion, once I copied over the hour of video with the resulting file being larger than 4GB would I be able to subsequently copy it to the FAT32 harddrive? I am asking this because over the long haul I have approximately 200 hours of home video I need to transfer and I was going to store the data on an external harddrive.

I will follow the steps spelled out by ggrussell post at 8:06am. I had my camera on when I plugged in the FireWire cable. I will turn off my camera, attach the FireWire cable and then turn on my video camera to the Playback mode. Thanks.

On this same line of discussion, once I copied over the hour of video with the resulting file being larger than 4GB would I be able to subsequently copy it to the FAT32 harddrive?
No, you can not. FAT32 simply can not address files any larger. The question is why is the external hard drive FAT32? Do you ever attach the external hard drive to a computer that uses WIN98 or older? If not, then you should convert it to NTFS. THis can be done undestructively inside WinXP.

I did run defrag and a disk clean up on the external harddrive (Toshiba 320GB external) and the result showed I had around 100GB left of space. On a side note, I changed to the internal harddrive on my computer (in which I have 300GB free of space - it's a new computer) and the limit did increase to twenty minutes instead of eighteen minutes. As well the disk space remaining increased from 4GB to 298GB.

I will purchase a FireWire 1394 cable tonight because I suspect this may solve the problem. However, a concern remains in whether the Roxio Media Import application will recognize the new device. In other words, do I still need to use the Roxio Video Capture USB device? By the way, thanks for all the quick responses. I have tons of VHS home movies and Beta home movies that I still need to convert so I still will have use for the Roxio Video Capture USB device.

I did run defrag and a disk clean up on the external harddrive (Toshiba 320GB external) and the result showed I had around 100GB left of space. On a side note, I changed to the internal harddrive on my computer (in which I have 300GB free of space - it's a new computer) and the limit did increase to twenty minutes instead of eighteen minutes. As well the disk space remaining increased from 4GB to 298GB.

I will purchase a FireWire 1394 cable tonight because I suspect this may solve the problem. However, a concern remains in whether the Roxio Media Import application will recognize the new device. In other words, do I still need to use the Roxio Video Capture USB device? By the way, thanks for all the quick responses. I have tons of VHS home movies and Beta home movies that I still need to convert so I still will have use for the Roxio Video Capture USB device.

For capture from a digital camcorder you should use the Firewire. The USB capture device is not needed. For analog capture you have to use the USB capture device unless you feed the analog signal from a VCR through the digital camcorder using the pass-thru-mode.

Are your hard drives set up as FAT32 or NTFS drives?

No, you can not. FAT32 simply can not address files any larger. The question is why is the external hard drive FAT32? Do you ever attach the external hard drive to a computer that uses WIN98 or older? If not, then you should convert it to NTFS. THis can be done undestructively inside WinXP.

Well, how I determined it was a FAT32 was I went to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Defrag under the Windows XP Professional operating system and it indicated it was a FAT32 harddrive. Is there another way to determine this for certain? As well, I'm not familiar with to convert it to NTFS. However, this sounds like the thing to do. The next time I look for a hard drive I will be certain to get a NTFS harddrive.

Well, how I determined it was a FAT32 was I went to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Defrag under the Windows XP Professional operating system and it indicated it was a FAT32 harddrive. Is there another way to determine this for certain? As well, I'm not familiar with to convert it to NTFS. However, this sounds like the thing to do. The next time I look for a hard drive I will be certain to get a NTFS harddrive.

You don't have to get a new external hard drive. You can convert the one you have now, to NTFS, as Larry said.

Click on your Start button, then on Help and Support. When the next screen comes up, in the Search box, type in Convert To NTFS, and click the search arrow. Follow the instructions that come up, and make sure use the letter designation of your external drive.

And, you should always capture to your internal hard drive. Once you do your production, and burn a DVD, successfully, you can then move the video file, and your saved production, to the external drive, if you need the room on your internal hard drive.

To quickly see whether a hard drive is FAT32 or NTFS, in Windows Explorer right click on a drive and the click Properties. The File System will be shown.

As I suspected I knew it wouldn't be as easy as plugging in a FireWire cable. I purchased a FireWire cable and promptly attached one end of the cable to the camera and the other end to my computer. At this point, the Roxio Media Import application does not recognize the FireWire cable as a device.

I appreciate all the help so if anyone out there has a solution to this problem please advise. Please keep in mind that I have never used a FireWire cable so if there's any additional installation of a driver, etc. please let me know.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Professional as my operating system.

Thanks.

Archived