• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videotape Import, Scene Splitting

VideoPoof

Question

I have installed (and updated) Creator 2009 with the SP3 update (Version 1.1.110 SP3; 4.50.05a). I'm Running on a solid 3GHz workstation 1 G memory, lots of free disk, Windows XP SP3.

I have used regedit to disable all Roxio startup programs since they prevented proper operation of other needed programs. Specifically, I have a Brother MFC printer monitor that disappears from the task bar along with my PowerAlert monitor. I would have appreciated being asked if I wanted these.

I purchased the USB-Video capture unit and have captured several two hour Hi-8 SVHS tapes. It works great. As typical of home videos, they go from subject to subject randomly. I want to split the videos into subject groups - kids, trips, etc. This would seem like a common task. Unfortunately, the automatic scene detector is unable to function as one would desire. Hand splitting isn't too bad except when you have a two hour video compressed into the un-resizeable media manager scene detect window, the granularity of motion of the slider and the cumbersome scroll wheel make it difficult to locate the starting frame of a new scene. Has anyone there actually tried this? It would sure be nice if I could use my mouse scroll wheel to move through frames.

The more serious problem comes later. Media Manager just randomly evaporates. Any scenes I might have worked hard to separate are lost. This happens regularly and there are no messages or alerts. I save and quit about every 5 minutes. What a pain.

Why isn't scene detection part of the video editor?

Further, having collected some scenes, I created some new Albums and dragged of my scenes to those. That seemed great except now the scenes are no longer associated with the original captured video in "All Media". I can't even tell which "All Media" videos have been split into scenes already. Nowhere in the separated scenes is there information that points back to the original video.

The behavior I'd like would be to split the original video into separate scene files. That would allow me to safely delete great boring stretches of unwanted video.

I have also had VideoWave evaporate, just as I selected "Save As" from the file menu - losing everything I just worked on.

All in all, I'd say that Creator 2009 is pretty buggy and cumbersome.

7 answers to this question

You most likely screwed up C2009 when you used RegEdit to disable C2009 startup programs. The better way iwould have been to use msconfig to disable startup programs and services.

All of the problems you describe are propably self-inflicted.

I never use Media Manager for anything. I do all my scene detection in Videowave manually and I will agree with you that it is cumbersome but a lot better than automatic detection which creates too many unnecessary scenes.

I don't think I screwed anything up. The programs I disabled monitor for flash cards being attached, etc.

I just now used VideoWave as in the above mentioned video. I did manual scene detection for the first video and everything went well. When I got back up to the "media" level, the video showed that little right then down arrow that indicates "scenes". Fine, so then I selected the next video and painstakingly selected scenes. When I was done and hit OK for the nine or so scenes, the display a the original "media" level showed the video but with no scenes "arrow". Tried it twice. Closed completely out of VideoWave, restarted, did scene selection again on 2nd video, hit OK, Poof. Back to the media level and the 2nd video shows no scenes. Tried it all over again but this time, renamed the 2nd video before restarting videowave - same results. It won't keep the detected scenes for anything but the first video.

I'm sorry, that kind of code behavior is not acceptable!

I have installed (and updated) Creator 2009 with the SP3 update (Version 1.1.110 SP3; 4.50.05a). I'm Running on a solid 3GHz workstation 1 G memory, lots of free disk, Windows XP SP3.

I have used regedit to disable all Roxio startup programs since they prevented proper operation of other needed programs. Specifically, I have a Brother MFC printer monitor that disappears from the task bar along with my PowerAlert monitor. I would have appreciated being asked if I wanted these.

I purchased the USB-Video capture unit and have captured several two hour Hi-8 SVHS tapes. It works great. As typical of home videos, they go from subject to subject randomly. I want to split the videos into subject groups - kids, trips, etc. This would seem like a common task. Unfortunately, the automatic scene detector is unable to function as one would desire. Hand splitting isn't too bad except when you have a two hour video compressed into the un-resizeable media manager scene detect window, the granularity of motion of the slider and the cumbersome scroll wheel make it difficult to locate the starting frame of a new scene. Has anyone there actually tried this? It would sure be nice if I could use my mouse scroll wheel to move through frames.

The more serious problem comes later. Media Manager just randomly evaporates. Any scenes I might have worked hard to separate are lost. This happens regularly and there are no messages or alerts. I save and quit about every 5 minutes. What a pain.

Further, having collected some scenes, I created some new Albums and dragged of my scenes to those. That seemed great except now the scenes are no longer associated with the original captured video in "All Media". I can't even tell which "All Media" videos have been split into scenes already. Nowhere in the separated scenes is there information that points back to the original video.

The behavior I'd like would be to split the original video into separate scene files. That would allow me to safely delete great boring stretches of unwanted video.

I have also had VideoWave evaporate, just as I selected "Save As" from the file menu - losing everything I just worked on.

The manual is also cumbersome but sometimes it is necessary. Watch this video. It may be helpful. Ignore that it is for an earlier version.

The timeline can be adjusted by using the slider under the preview window.

You most likely screwed up C2009 when you used RegEdit to disable C2009 startup programs. The better way iwould have been to use msconfig to disable startup programs and services.

All of the problems you describe are propably self-inflicted.

I never use Media Manager for anything. I do all my scene detection in Videowave manually and I will agree with you that it is cumbersome but a lot better than automatic detection which creates too many unnecessary scenes.

Scenes are only saved in Media Selector and only when you have the My Media view selected:

post-39730-1233866834.jpg

If you have Folders view, no scenes:

post-39730-1233866842.jpg

Thanks Jim. You do a good job of being explicit. I think I said though that the scenes in the first video have been retained. I can see the little "scenes" icon just fine. There seems to be nothing I can to do save scenes from the second video in the "My Media" view... Can you?

Archived