• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Compilation with menu

lakewoodlawnman

Question

While experimenting with possible solutions to some other topics in this forum I came across a change in Toast 10 from previous versions that could be a real time saver for some users compared with Toast 7 through 9.

This is for those instances when one is starting with a VIDEO_TS folder or non-encrypted DVD and wants to create a compilation DVD with a menu, or wants to convert PAL to NTSC (or NTSC to PAL) or wants to clip one of more segments for use in a new DVD or convert to other format. The first step to do this in Toast 7, 8 and 9 is to choose DVD video as the format in the Video window, place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop (or insert the non-encrypted DVD) and use the Toast Media Browser to select the desired video titles and drag them from the browser to the main Toast window. This enabled Toast to extract the MPEG files from the VOBs in the VIDEO_TS folder. This was necessary because Toast 7, 8 and 9 had trouble working directly with sets of VOB files.

Toast 10, based on my observation so far, doesn't need this. One can select DVD video as the format in the Video window (or Video Files in the Convert window) and drag the VIDEO_TS folder directly to the main window. New in Toast 10, both an Edit and an Extract button appear next to each title. Clicking the Extract button opens the Toast Video Player where markers can be placed for trimming segments. Clicking the Edit button opens the window to edit the menu text. An additional Edit button appears in that window which also opens the Toast Video Player.

As a test I used a non-encrypted NTSC DVD of mine and instructed Toast to transcode it into a PAL DVD. It worked perfectly directly from the source disc without having to do any advance extraction.

If you want to convert to another format selected clips for video contained in a VIDEO_TS folder (or non-encrypted DVD) in Toast 10, choose Video Files as the setting in the Convert window and drag in your VIDEO_TS folder. Click the Extract button to mark your clips in the Toast Video Player and choose Save. Now you can convert just those marked clips.

Let me know if any of this isn't working on your Mac or if my instructions aren't making any sense.

Thanks for the tutorial.

7 answers to this question

Thanks, tsantee! Now it works!

I'd missed a couple of things such as choosing the save as disk image command. Thanks to your guide now it works flawlessly!

However, I must say that the conversion, in my case from PAL to NTSC, isn't very good. In particular the scenes with movement, even slow movements, produce a very stepwise video. Not very good to view at.

I've found at least another app (MPEG2 Works) that produces a better result. Roxio should improve this function, IMO.

Thanks again!

Hi tsantee, thanks for the advices.

I'm new to this forum and was looking for a way to transcode a PAL dvd of mine for all my friends in the States who only have NTSC.

You say in your post:

"As a test I used a non-encrypted NTSC DVD of mine and instructed Toast to transcode it into a PAL DVD. It worked perfectly directly from the source disc without having to do any advance extraction."

Please may you tell me exactly how to do it? I've tried following your advice but can't find the option in Toast10 to specify PAL or NTSC...

A step by step guide would be very appreciated, also for other readers in this forum.

Thanks!

I guess I need to do two separate sets of instructions. One if you don't need a menu and the other if you want a menu or if the fist method didn't work.

So let me start with the second method because it is the most reliable.

1. Choose DVD video as the setting in the Toast window. Since you are wanting to transcode from PAL to NTSC be sure that NTSC is set at the format in Toast Preferences.

2. Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Insert your unencrypted DVD or place a VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop or inside the Movies folder. There also is a little button near the top of the Media Browser where you can search for a VIDEO_TS folder in another location.

3. The Media Browser will show a text description in its main window. Double-click on it to see the list of titles that are within the VIDEO_TS folder. Drag the one(s) you want to the Toast Video window. Toast extracts the MPEG video as a .vob file, writing it to the Roxio Converted Items folder.

4. You are now ready to prepare the menu for your video DVD (or choose no menu if you prefer). Click on the thumbnail and drag the scroll bar that appears to choose a different image for the menu button.

5. When you have everything the way you want choose Save as Disc Image. Toast will ask if you really want the video converted to NTSC. Click okay. Go out to dinner with friends.

6. When it is finished you can control click on the disc image file and choose Mount it from the contextual menu. When mounted the video can be previewed with DVD Player. If everything looks and works okay select the disc image (not the mounted image) using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window to burn your DVD.

If you don't need a menu it may be faster to add the source VIDEO_TS folder to the Video window with VIDEO_TS folders selected as the format. Make sure NTSC is selected in preferences. Click Options to choose the title(s) you want. Click Save as Disc Image. At this point everything is the same as step 5 and 6 above.

I'm stuck again. I can't figure out what or how to extract the clips that I defined.

I have no idea what I did last time to extract those previous clips.

I've defined a timeline with the 2 markers and when I hit the extract button it updates the whole VOB folder and clears the markers.

Thanks for your help.

When you clicked the Extract button in the Video (or Convert) window Toast Video Player opened where you can place the edit markers. When you finish setting your markers choose Save. Then return to the Toast Video (or Convert) window to continue with whatever you were wanting Toast to do with the edited video.

. New in Toast 10, both an Edit and an Extract button appear next to each title. Clicking the Extract button opens the Toast Video Player where markers can be placed for trimming segments.

Then what?

Where is it saved?

Okl so it says 2 clips- where is it.

What do I do next?

Thanks

I think I got it.

Dope slap time.

Hit the record button.

The button is too big and too Red to notice.

heh, heh

Hi tsantee, thanks for the advices.

I'm new to this forum and was looking for a way to transcode a PAL dvd of mine for all my friends in the States who only have NTSC.

You say in your post:

"As a test I used a non-encrypted NTSC DVD of mine and instructed Toast to transcode it into a PAL DVD. It worked perfectly directly from the source disc without having to do any advance extraction."

Please may you tell me exactly how to do it? I've tried following your advice but can't find the option in Toast10 to specify PAL or NTSC...

A step by step guide would be very appreciated, also for other readers in this forum.

Thanks!

I'm stuck again. I can't figure out what or how to extract the clips that I defined.

I have no idea what I did last time to extract those previous clips.

I've defined a timeline with the 2 markers and when I hit the extract button it updates the whole VOB folder and clears the markers.

Thanks for your help.

. New in Toast 10, both an Edit and an Extract button appear next to each title. Clicking the Extract button opens the Toast Video Player where markers can be placed for trimming segments.

Then what?

Where is it saved?

Okl so it says 2 clips- where is it.

What do I do next?

Thanks

I think I got it.

Dope slap time.

Hit the record button.

The button is too big and too Red to notice.

heh, heh

Archived