• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Quality/recording Time

Rod Torgeson

Question

In Roxio Easy VHS to DVD

Plug & Burn section

Step #2 under quality

Recording time[1:00:00](best quality)

then

Recording time[1:30:00](good quality)

then

Recording time[2:00:00](normal quality)

only the 1:00:00 and the 1:30:00 can be selected, why is the 2:00:00 disabled?

Does the set capture length ovverride this?

or

How do yo get a movie that is longer then 2 hours from a VHS tape onto a DVD?

I am running this program under Windows XP.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

10 answers to this question

Thanks Jim.....I did use the capture and then the copy. I guess the thing I don't much care for is that it took three and one half hours to record a one hour and forty five minute movie. Not sure about the quality yet. I have about 300 older movies on VHS that I would like to transfer to DVDs.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Did you first capture to your hard drive or is that a direct to DVD burn, ie Plug&Burn?

Thanks Jim.....I did use the capture and then the copy. I guess the thing I don't much care for is that it took three and one half hours to record a one hour and forty five minute movie. Not sure about the quality yet. I have about 300 older movies on VHS that I would like to transfer to DVDs.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Capture will happen at a 1:1 ratio and nothing is going to change that!

Render time will depend on the format of the captured file vs the format of the output… You are creating your own bottleneck because of your obsession with trying to cram so much on a DVD.

I just ran some recent tests using a compliant 1 hour movie. On one of my PCs it took 18 minutes and 8 minutes on the other… (P4 3.0Ghz & 2.2Ghz Dual Core)

This was at HQ. But if I took the same movie and wanted to render it at EP it would take forever to redo…

(oh and I did the same movei, output to AVCHD and it took 12 1/2 hours for one and 4 1/2 for the other)

Each frame would have to be loaded and degraded then saved – 30 per second ~ 3600 seconds in an hour or 108,000 720 X 480 pictures loaded re-rendered and saved.

How long will it take to load that many pictures?

myguggi.....The capture took one hour and 45 minutes(the length of the movie) and the burn to DVD took one hour and forty five minutes also.

I guess my way of thinking was that I could capture from VHS and burn to DVD in the same manner as my DVD recorder does from my Dish network DVR. All the time it takes is the length of the program I want to burn. Depending on how long the program is(1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours or 8 hours) I can set the DVD recorder accordingly and then create the DVD. I have many VHS tapes that have 3, maybe 4 movies on them and I wanted to copy them to DVD. Not that simple(easy) since I am limited to one and one half hours with the plug and burn thing. I guess if I had known the limitations of the Rovio easy VHS to DVD, I would have taken a different route by hooking up the VHS player to the DVD recorder and do it that way. I guess that is the way I may have to do it.

By the way Jim, I really don't think I am obsessed with trying to cram too much onto a DVD.I can put 8 hours worth of programming onto a DVD with my DVD recorder. So apparently this system or program is quite different.

Hope I explained this well enough.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

In Roxio Easy VHS to DVD

Plug & Burn section

Step #2 under quality

Recording time[1:00:00](best quality)

then

Recording time[1:30:00](good quality)

then

Recording time[2:00:00](normal quality)

only the 1:00:00 and the 1:30:00 can be selected, why is the 2:00:00 disabled?

Does the set capture length ovverride this?

or

How do yo get a movie that is longer then 2 hours from a VHS tape onto a DVD?

I am running this program under Windows XP.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

You cannot get a >2 hour movie from VHS onto a DVD using Easy VHS to DVD Plug&Burn. I would split the movie over two DVDs. THis would also keep the video at best quality instead of lower the quality.

Rod: It appears that "Plug & Burn" within this program works entirely different than in the previous 6 versions of Roxio P&B!

With all prior versions of the full Suite, P&B does indeed Record & Burn at the same time. Due to the market that this product was aimed at, it was probably decided it was too risky to do that! The majority of users would have had faulty burns because just you’re your Recorder, P&B requires that the PC be dedicated to just that and something as minor as a screen saver coming on will wreck it!

I should point out that P&B in the current version only works with a camcorder & a Firewire connection!!!

There are other problems with P&B and not one single regular here uses it or recommends it! I dabbled with it in V6 to get a feel for it. I have done it once since then to help a user who wanted to use it.

If you really just want to get VHS onto a DVD, I recommend getting a DVD Recorder. They are pretty cheep now and will do just that.

As far as the time - I thought you were saying it took twice as long to render as it did to capture. You cannot include capture time as it is 1 to 1 and nothing can change that. But in your followup you said that your Render was 1 to 1 and that is exceptional!!! I have an older PC that was 1:8. A 1 hour movie took 8 hours to render.

You CPU is what controls that. that 8 hour PC was a 550Mhz. My 3.0Ghz will do it 18 minutes and my dual core needs 8 minutes. Guessing your PC is about 1.2 - 1.5Ghz?

You cannot get a >2 hour movie from VHS onto a DVD using Easy VHS to DVD Plug&Burn. I would split the movie over two DVDs. THis would also keep the video at best quality instead of lower the quality.

Is it normal for the 2 hours to be disabled? I can only select the one hour and the one hour and a half. I ran into this problem when I had a movie to transfer that was 1:45 minutes.

Thanks.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Rod: We don't know. The gurus haven't seen the program and while we have long experience with Roxio this package is a little different. For example you cannot use the USB Capture device with Plug and Burn in any other version of Roxio :huh:

Looking at the sales info, you don't have to use P&B! (those that have been doing video for years, not one would ever use P&B)

You can just capture and set things from MyDVD – don't know if Video Copy & Convert is included but that would really give you some flexability!

Rod: We don't know. The gurus haven't seen the program and while we have long experience with Roxio this package is a little different. For example you cannot use the USB Capture device with Plug and Burn in any other version of Roxio :huh:

Looking at the sales info, you don't have to use P&B! (those that have been doing video for years, not one would ever use P&B)

You can just capture and set things from MyDVD – don't know if Video Copy & Convert is included but that would really give you some flexability!

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Archived