• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Strange Audio Skipping

kyeperk

Question

Today I purchased Toast 10. I am interested in copying all of my iDVD projects (slideshows) into digital form to place them on a hard drive. I have used Handbrake for this, but my older iDVD projects (about 2005 and earlier) had a weird audio skipping problem. the slideshow would play faster than normal and the audio would skip at every transition.

the DVD plays normally, but the digital rip would have the problem.

I tried this in Toast. I created a digital image with a .toast extension and the DVD plays fine. When I create a mp4 or h.264 file from each slideshow the same skipping problem occurs.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? All of the DVDs play fine from the DVD.

I cannot figure out this issue.

thanks for any help.

4 answers to this question

How do I make a slide show to import into toast 10 pro, so I can make a slideshow with music to burn onto a blu ray disk?

Can I add sound to the blue ray menu?

this is so easy in iDVD, why can't roxio do it? Am i lame?

Toast does not support audio in its menus or in its slide shows. If you have Fotomagico you can use it to create a movie-like slide show with audio rather than the still, chapter-advance slide shows created by Toast.

I don't know the technical reason for this but DVD slide shows use a different way to blend audio with the still images. The DVD slide show format does not have any motion video. Instead it has a still image that is a chapter within a title. There can be 99 chapters and 99 titles. None of this has audio. iDVD uses a way to audio an audio stream as a background to the slide show but does not actually have the audio multiplexed with the still images themselves. When Toast makes a DVD slide show Toast does not have any option for adding audio.

So there is a difference in the way sound is added to a DVD slide show compared with how it is added with a video. That difference apparently leads to the skipping you're experiencing.

If you want to extract the audio track alone you can use the audio capture feature in CD Spin Doctor while playing the DVD on your Mac.

that makes sense and I will try that. what doesn't make sense is that my newer iDVD slideshows work fine, but my older ones don't. Maybe it is the way the iLife software was written a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know the results.

that makes sense and I will try that. what doesn't make sense is that my newer iDVD slideshows work fine, but my older ones don't. Maybe it is the way the iLife software was written a few years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know the results.

How do I make a slide show to import into toast 10 pro, so I can make a slideshow with music to burn onto a blu ray disk?

Can I add sound to the blue ray menu?

this is so easy in iDVD, why can't roxio do it? Am i lame?

I don't know the technical reason for this but DVD slide shows use a different way to blend audio with the still images. The DVD slide show format does not have any motion video. Instead it has a still image that is a chapter within a title. There can be 99 chapters and 99 titles. None of this has audio. iDVD uses a way to audio an audio stream as a background to the slide show but does not actually have the audio multiplexed with the still images themselves. When Toast makes a DVD slide show Toast does not have any option for adding audio.

So there is a difference in the way sound is added to a DVD slide show compared with how it is added with a video. That difference apparently leads to the skipping you're experiencing.

If you want to extract the audio track alone you can use the audio capture feature in CD Spin Doctor while playing the DVD on your Mac.

Archived