Noob Question, Need Help!

cmr076

Question

ok im sure this has been answered numerous times already so please excuse my inability to find it using the search option (i did try!)

I purchased Popcorn 3 earlier tonight for the sole purpose of converting movies (formatted as AVI, MPEG, etc. to DVD format to watch on my home player). i read and re-read the included guide and can not figure this out... any help would be greatly appreciated.

~dave

3 answers to this question

First, I recommend downloading and installing the free perian codec at www.perian.org in case some of the AVIs have AC3 audio.

Next, be sure you've updated to the latest version of Popcorn (3.0.3) which may not be the version you just bought.

Now, choose DVD-Video in the DVD section of Popcorn. Add your video files. Set up the menu to look the way you want. Burn your video DVD.

The DVD-Video Settings and the Changing recording settings sections of the Popcorn Help PDF can be useful to read. As for preparing the menu you can name your DVD where it says My DVD at the top of the Popcorn window and name the titles for the videos on your DVD. You can select the video frame for the menu button by clicking on the thumbnail image and dragging the scroll bar that appears. Click on the menu style on the left to see the menu setup window.

Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu if you want to preview the DVD before burning it to disc. You can mount the saved disc image by selecting it with the Image File setting in Popcorn. You then can preview it with DVD Player. If all is good then burn the image file to DVD.

First, I recommend downloading and installing the free perian codec at www.perian.org in case some of the AVIs have AC3 audio.

Next, be sure you've updated to the latest version of Popcorn (3.0.3) which may not be the version you just bought.

Now, choose DVD-Video in the DVD section of Popcorn. Add your video files. Set up the menu to look the way you want. Burn your video DVD.

The DVD-Video Settings and the Changing recording settings sections of the Popcorn Help PDF can be useful to read. As for preparing the menu you can name your DVD where it says My DVD at the top of the Popcorn window and name the titles for the videos on your DVD. You can select the video frame for the menu button by clicking on the thumbnail image and dragging the scroll bar that appears. Click on the menu style on the left to see the menu setup window.

Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu if you want to preview the DVD before burning it to disc. You can mount the saved disc image by selecting it with the Image File setting in Popcorn. You then can preview it with DVD Player. If all is good then burn the image file to DVD.

ok, i downloaded and installed Perian, i also got the 3.0.3 update and installed that. when i dragged the movie into popcorn it says "[movie title] is an unsupported format and can not be recorded" the format the video is in right now is mpeg4... is that not do-able?

i also tried the what you said with another video (this one is an AVI) and will let you know how that works out... i really thought this software would be a little more "user friendly"

ok, i downloaded and installed Perian, i also got the 3.0.3 update and installed that. when i dragged the movie into popcorn it says "[movie title] is an unsupported format and can not be recorded" the format the video is in right now is mpeg4... is that not do-able?

i also tried the what you said with another video (this one is an AVI) and will let you know how that works out... i really thought this software would be a little more "user friendly"

Popcorn accepts any format playable with QuickTime. There are codecs used for encoding video that are not supported. For example, you would need to one of the paid versions of Flip4Mac for Popcorn to encode from wmv videos.

Most MPEG 4 formats work fine. Does the one that Popcorn rejected play with QuickTime Player?