• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Internet Video Files

devor2

Question

I installed the EMC 8 upgrade from the CD (no instructions or manual included) on PC running Windows XP/SP2 with WMP 10. I used full install option. Video files will not download from internet. I get a connection, but files will not play. Applies to all video file formats. Problem stopped after uninstalling EMC 8. EMC 6 did not have similar problem. I only want to use the basic program functions, but there is no information on what to check and what to uncheck in the control panel. Can EMC 8 be installed without overriding Windows settings for file associations and internet access?

8 answers to this question

I installed the EMC 8 upgrade from the CD (no instructions or manual included) on PC running Windows XP/SP2 with WMP 10. I used full install option. Video files will not download from internet. I get a connection, but files will not play. Applies to all video file formats. Problem stopped after uninstalling EMC 8. EMC 6 did not have similar problem. I only want to use the basic program functions, but there is no information on what to check and what to uncheck in the control panel. Can EMC 8 be installed without overriding Windows settings for file associations and internet access?

It may or may not be a file association problem. The problem I encountered was it appeared the video files were not downloading to MediaPlayer, even though WMP would open. Two ways to check this. 1) try streaming a video, if Media Player opens but does not appear to be playing the video or 2) find a video file on your pc of the type your are having problems with, click on it and if MediaPlayer plays it, it is not a file association issue. In either case if MediaPlayer opens, the file association is in all probability ok - have to leave a loophole - remember it is "MICROSOFT" MediaPlayer.

If not file assocation issue, then problem is probably the mcspmpeg.ax business in earlier posts. In test 1) above, if you try to stream the video again, without closing WMP, and it now plays it is definitely this problem. The file is being cached the first time rather than being display, when you try the second time, it is now using the cached copy.

If indeed it is file association, if I remember correctly somewhere during the install process there is the option to select/de-select the various associations, could be wrong on this. I installed another program and forgot to un-check the file associations. I went to MediaPlayer and somewhere there is any option to select the file associations for WMP. If any are checked, I would un-check them, "ok" it, close WMP, then re-open WMP and check the ones I wanted WMP to be associated with, "ok" it, close WMP, then run the tests again. I have found you often have to close the application when you make such changes, sometimes even re-boot, for such changes to "really" take affect.

Not sure if this will help but this came from another thread about streaming video.Try This:

If you're having this problem...

1) Click on Start --> Run

2) In the run dialogue box and type in:

regsvr32 /u mcspmpeg.ax

3) Click OK. You should get a message like "DllUnregisterServer in mcspmpeg.ax succeeded."

4) Now see if you still have problems streaming MPEG files in Media Player and post a reply.....

works like a charm. Thanks

Not sure if this will help but this came from another thread about streaming video.Try This:

If you're having this problem...

1) Click on Start --> Run

2) In the run dialogue box and type in:

regsvr32 /u mcspmpeg.ax

3) Click OK. You should get a message like "DllUnregisterServer in mcspmpeg.ax succeeded."

4) Now see if you still have problems streaming MPEG files in Media Player and post a reply.....

You're welcome,I just gave you what someone else came up with for the other thread.I can't remember what it does exactly.

It was originally posted by Patrox, the forum moderator.

What it does is unregisters mcspmpeg.ax so that is not used. Main Concepts (I think that is the name) is the creator of mcspmpeg.ax. This is a very common problem with mcspmpeg.ax. I Sony's Studio installed and it puts mcspmpeg.ax in a shared folder. For some reason Patrox solution did not work for unregistering the Sony's copy. However, the Sony knowledge base had a solution where you do a search for "mcspmpeg.ax" and rename every instance of it something like "mcspmpeg.ax.hide".

If the more elegant solution posted by Patrox does not work, then the "down and dirty" solution from Sony should fix the problem.

It was originally posted by Patrox, the forum moderator.

What it does is unregisters mcspmpeg.ax so that is not used. Main Concepts (I think that is the name) is the creator of mcspmpeg.ax. This is a very common problem with mcspmpeg.ax. I Sony's Studio installed and it puts mcspmpeg.ax in a shared folder. For some reason Patrox solution did not work for unregistering the Sony's copy. However, the Sony knowledge base had a solution where you do a search for "mcspmpeg.ax" and rename every instance of it something like "mcspmpeg.ax.hide".

If the more elegant solution posted by Patrox does not work, then the "down and dirty" solution from Sony should fix the problem.

Good post. Are there any other reasons to boycott Sony? :)

Archived