Sign in to follow this  
babylonslim

Popcorn Or Toast 9 For Tiger 10.4.11

Question

Since I cannot run Toast 10 and there isn't much of a difference in Toast 9 and Popcorn as far as price goes... which should I buy if:

Mostly all I want to do is make a compilation DVD of 50 separate DVDs that my students have made over the years with IDvd and DVD Pro, i.e. all NOT copyrighted.

I'm just not that familiar with all the other features of Toast 9. I have/teach Final Cut Pro, FCExpress, Soundtrack Pro, Cubasis and other stuff.

Bottom line are all the other features worth having? I mean, most folks buy these "packaged" products but probably only use the DVD ripping/burning options found in Popcorn, right??

Thanks In Advance -

B. Slim

4 answers to this question

If you only care about making video DVDs or converting video to certain formats then Popcorn will meet your needs. Toast also has data burning, audio CD, slide show, music DVD creation and comes bundled with more applications than does Popcorn. If you ever wanted to convert a DVD to DV you'd need Toast because DV export isn't available in Popcorn. Toast 9 also can create HD Blu-Ray discs if you get the HD plug in.

Personally, I used Popcorn 3 when I only had Toast 8. After Toast 9 came out I only used Popcorn 3 to figure answers to posts in this forum.

As for your compilation DVD. The one that Popcorn and Toast creates using the VIDEO_TS Compilation feature does not have a menu. If you want a menu identifying each of the video titles you'll need to use the Media Browser to extract the titles you want from the DVD. I can explain the steps to you once I know which application you end up getting.

Edited by tsantee

If you only care about making video DVDs or converting video to certain formats then Popcorn will meet your needs. Toast also has data burning, audio CD, slide show, music DVD creation and comes bundled with more applications than does Popcorn. If you ever wanted to convert a DVD to DV you'd need Toast because DV export isn't available in Popcorn. Toast 9 also can create HD Blu-Ray discs if you get the HD plug in.

Personally, I used Popcorn 3 when I only had Toast 8. After Toast 9 came out I only used Popcorn 3 to figure answers to posts in this forum.

As for your compilation DVD. The one that Popcorn and Toast creates using the VIDEO_TS Compilation feature does not have a menu. If you want a menu identifying each of the video titles you'll need to use the Media Browser to extract the titles you want from the DVD. I can explain the steps to you once I know which application you end up getting.

Many Thanks - with the minor difference in price between pcorn and #9, I'll probably get the latter.

I'm in the same situation as babylonslim, so I hope you'll excuse me if I enter the thread with my own request. Actually I own Toast 6 and I'm considering upgrading to Toast 9 or Popcorn. Essentially I need a software to author DVD video Disc from MPeg2 stream recorded from DVB-T free-on-air channel. The only feature that I really am interested in about Toast 9 is the Fit-to-DVD option in order to recompress automatically a stream that is slighter bigger to be mastered on a DVD support, but it seems that the Fit-to-DVD option is included in Popcorn too as well as the VIDEO-TS batch encoding feature that is really usefull. I really don't care about the other burning features of Toast 9. So, since Popcorn is half the price of Toast 9 or 10, at least here in Europe, I'm considering to buy the former. Any suggestion?

Greetings

Gianmarco

Edited by delosio

I'm in the same situation as babylonslim, so I hope you'll excuse me if I enter the thread with my own request. Actually I own Toast 6 and I'm considering upgrading to Toast 9 or Popcorn. Essentially I need a software to author DVD video Disc from MPeg2 stream recorded from DVB-T free-on-air channel. The only feature that I really am interested in about Toast 9 is the Fit-to-DVD option in order to recompress automatically a stream that is slighter bigger to be mastered on a DVD support, but it seems that the Fit-to-DVD option is included in Popcorn too as well as the VIDEO-TS batch encoding feature that is really usefull. I really don't care about the other burning features of Toast 9. So, since Popcorn is half the price of Toast 9 or 10, at least here in Europe, I'm considering to buy the former. Any suggestion?

Greetings

Gianmarco

Popcorn does everything you describe as needing. The Fit-to-DVD process works with VIDEO_TS folders. Therefore you will need to use Popcorn to author a DL-sized VIDEO_TS folder (this is done by choosing Save as Disc Image) and then using the Image File setting to fit that disc image to a single-layer DVD.