Roxio Video Capture Usb

MorphDrumsnBass

Question

Hello all,

I'm wanting to digitise home recordings currently on VHS tapes. These were made in a standard VHS recorder / player several years ago by recording from (I think) a Sony camcorder. I only have these recordings on large VHS tape, I don't have the original camcorder tapes.

I have Easy Creator 2009 installed on my PC and I'm planning to buy the USB capture device to plug into the back of the VHS recorder and download in that way.

Would this work or does video capture only work from a camera?

Has Roxio now resolved the problem of incorrect driver CD's?

Would any USB capture device work or do I have to use the Roxio one? At £35 the Roxio device is £10 more than I paid for Creator 2009!

All hints and tips welcome

Regards

Ian

10 answers to this question

Are you sure you have Roxio Creator 2009? If you paid only £25 then you may not have the full version unless you got it at a huge discount. According to the Roxio website, C2009 costs £49.99

Hello again,

that certainly got me thinking cos I am aware that there are often different versions of the same software package for different prices.

So far as I can determine after checking Amazon, I have bought the full Creator 2009 version. I paid £24.97 but it's now selling at £29.35 - both prices indicated they'd been discounted from £49.99 which ties in with your thoughts on price. For info, Amazon are also selling Creator 2009 Ultimate (RRP £69.99) at £52.85 so they do seem to be massively discounted. I've not seen, at least on Amazon, less than full versions of Creator 2009 so I'm cautiously confident that I have the full version.

In truth I have simple needs. I'm wanting to digitise old home videos from VHS cassettes that were originally done on a Sony Camcorder then recorded onto VHS in a VCR. I'm not necessarily wanting to record them onto DVD, it's more to store them safely so I'm looking for the most universal format to safeguard for the future. Same with old cassette tape recordings of bands I've been in. I have these on cd already but am looking to store them digitally for when the tapes and CD's deteriorate. After that, I like playing with digital photo's and have the same issues around safe storage as well.

My original idea for most of the above was to store onto cd / dvd but then I cottoned on that these might not last forever, hence the grand plan to digitise and store electronically in a variety of different locations. Creator 2009 seems to all that I want plus a whole lot more besides. Creator 2009 plus the Roxio USB device seems to answer my needs for video tapes, not to mention digitising my vinyl record collection. Hope so anyway. No doubt that I'll ask more questions about what format to use etc etc.

Best wishes

Ian

If you don't want to store on CDs and DVDs where do you want to store them? What do you mean by "electronically in a variety of different locations"?

Hello Walt,

My aim is to make sure that old, personal music / video recordings and photographs are stored safely in a universal format that can be turned into CDs / DVD's / other useable format when required.

Old vhs and cassette tapes don't last forever so my plan is to digitise them and store them electronically on my hard drive and on external hard drives. I'll have the stuff on CD and DVD to use as and when I want but I'll also be able to burn new CD's & DVD's if and when the existing ones fail. On top of this, the recordings will be safe because they'll be in various locations, ie on my hard drive plus an external hard drive plus CD/DVD plus (probably) various USB memory sticks. I'll not keep all the storage devices in the same place in case of fire, theft etc. I may also look at digital vault services but that'd be on top of the above.

Photographs aren't a problem because 99% are taken on a digital camera and i rarely print them out. Microsoft's "My Pictures" screensaver, together with electronic photoframes are all I need to view the photo's. I currently store photo's on my hard drive, backed up to an external hard drive and also saved to USB memory sticks.

I'm sort of looking to the future really. I put all my old analog band recordings onto CD a couple of years ago but am thinking about storing them on my hard drive as MP3's so I can print off new CD's when I need to. Having said this, my personal opinion is that CD's will become obsolete in the forseeable future so having the recordings on my hard drive in a universally portable format will, hopefully, build in futureproofing......mainly because I'm lazy and couldn't face recording them all over again. I'm thinking I'll get a big iPod to store and play the music and may abandon CD's altogether.

Old VHS recordings are the problem area for me. The only experience I have of video capture is from recording from a VCR onto the hard drive of a combi DVD recorder and then on to DVD. I think the DVD recorder used VOB format. I'm hoping Creator 2009 plus the Roxio USB device will allow me to plug my VCR into my PC so I can capture the video and store it on my PC, producing DVD's as and when I want. I'd want to capture in the most universally compatible format for future proofing......which is where my knowledge runs out. I think I've picked up that there are better formats to store video that VOB and that Creator 2009 might not be able to convert from VOb into a more universal format. I don't have many VHS tapes but they are precious and i want to make sure I store them in as good quality as I can in a format I can use in the future. If I can use the DVD discs I've already produced then, fine, I'll do that. If I can't, I'm quite happy to buy the Roxio USB device and do them over again that way. I don't know about formats but am learning. I'm also worried about the size of the video files on my PC if they aren't compressed, in as much as I only have a 250 gb drive. I've got a max of 25 hours VHS recording I want to digitise and save but I suspect this would take up most of my hard drive if it isn't compressed in some way.

I'm sorry for the "round the houses" explanation. I'm not "stupid" but I only look at technology when I want it to do something for me. Because of the rate of change, I find I'm often playing catch up. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

ian

ps my DVD combi recorder has hard drive, dvd and vhs playing / recording capability. BUT, the quality of the VHS player is below that of my old VCR. On top of that, when recording from VHS to hard drive, the combi unit kept halting the recording to tell me the recording was copyright protected. It wasn't!!!!! It was a home video I'd taken. I got round the quality and copyright problem by plugging my old VCR into the combi unit and recording from that instead of the unit's own VHS player.

Thanks very much for that. It really did my head in because I thought the combi unit was the answer to my prayers. I'm sure my old VCR is a JVC.....and I'm keeping it !!!!!!! Hopefully, someone can advise on the capture and format issues I've raised.

Regards

Ian

Apologies, I missed Steve's reply on 6 Feb......... I don't yet have a capture device. However, although there are cheaper ones on the market than Roxio's, it's the Roxio one I'm going for. I don't know enough to deal with compatibility issues and want as easy a ride as possible. Cheers, Ian

Hello all,

I'm wanting to digitise home recordings currently on VHS tapes. These were made in a standard VHS recorder / player several years ago by recording from (I think) a Sony camcorder. I only have these recordings on large VHS tape, I don't have the original camcorder tapes.

I have Easy Creator 2009 installed on my PC and I'm planning to buy the USB capture device to plug into the back of the VHS recorder and download in that way.

Would this work or does video capture only work from a camera?

Has Roxio now resolved the problem of incorrect driver CD's?

Would any USB capture device work or do I have to use the Roxio one? At £35 the Roxio device is £10 more than I paid for Creator 2009!

All hints and tips welcome

Regards

Ian

Are you sure you have Roxio Creator 2009? If you paid only £25 then you may not have the full version unless you got it at a huge discount. According to the Roxio website, C2009 costs £49.99

Just to answer your last point. The 'copy protection' problem has been cropping up a lot and it's usually down to tape or playback degradation.

VCRs (and the USB capture gubbins) have a built in circuit to prevent protected tapes being copied. Unfortunately, if a tape is old, that is kicking in (it will, as you've noticed, happen on new machines). Older VCRs (mainly the mechanically activated ones) didn't have that circuitry - so they actually could copy the stuff without a problem.

When I was service manager in a repair company here, I actually had people trying to get one of the old JVC machines for that reason ;)

If your old box works - then use that

Just to answer your last point. The 'copy protection' problem has been cropping up a lot and it's usually down to tape or playback degradation.

VCRs (and the USB capture gubbins) have a built in circuit to prevent protected tapes being copied. Unfortunately, if a tape is old, that is kicking in (it will, as you've noticed, happen on new machines). Older VCRs (mainly the mechanically activated ones) didn't have that circuitry - so they actually could copy the stuff without a problem.

When I was service manager in a repair company here, I actually had people trying to get one of the old JVC machines for that reason ;)

If your old box works - then use that

Thanks very much for that. It really did my head in because I thought the combi unit was the answer to my prayers. I'm sure my old VCR is a JVC.....and I'm keeping it !!!!!!! Hopefully, someone can advise on the capture and format issues I've raised.

Regards

Ian

Do you already have a device? A lot of them will work with Creator 2009. I think there is a Kb article on it but it seems like the KB search function is acting up this morning.

Hello again,

that certainly got me thinking cos I am aware that there are often different versions of the same software package for different prices.

So far as I can determine after checking Amazon, I have bought the full Creator 2009 version. I paid £24.97 but it's now selling at £29.35 - both prices indicated they'd been discounted from £49.99 which ties in with your thoughts on price. For info, Amazon are also selling Creator 2009 Ultimate (RRP £69.99) at £52.85 so they do seem to be massively discounted. I've not seen, at least on Amazon, less than full versions of Creator 2009 so I'm cautiously confident that I have the full version.

In truth I have simple needs. I'm wanting to digitise old home videos from VHS cassettes that were originally done on a Sony Camcorder then recorded onto VHS in a VCR. I'm not necessarily wanting to record them onto DVD, it's more to store them safely so I'm looking for the most universal format to safeguard for the future. Same with old cassette tape recordings of bands I've been in. I have these on cd already but am looking to store them digitally for when the tapes and CD's deteriorate. After that, I like playing with digital photo's and have the same issues around safe storage as well.

My original idea for most of the above was to store onto cd / dvd but then I cottoned on that these might not last forever, hence the grand plan to digitise and store electronically in a variety of different locations. Creator 2009 seems to all that I want plus a whole lot more besides. Creator 2009 plus the Roxio USB device seems to answer my needs for video tapes, not to mention digitising my vinyl record collection. Hope so anyway. No doubt that I'll ask more questions about what format to use etc etc.

Best wishes

Ian

If you don't want to store on CDs and DVDs where do you want to store them? What do you mean by "electronically in a variety of different locations"?

Roxio's Device will work with the Roxio Software you already own.

I have Captured from a VCR, Sony Video 8 Camera, DVD player with DVD, SVCD, VCD, CD, a Boom box with, CD, Cassette, Am, FM, radio.

Yes the wrong driver CD issue is solved and your C2009 has three service packs issued.

Would any USB capture device work

Probably but you would need to use the drivers and software that come with that capture device not Roxio software.

cd

Roxio's Device will work with the Roxio Software you already own.

I have Captured from a VCR, Sony Video 8 Camera, DVD player with DVD, SVCD, VCD, CD, a Boom box with, CD, Cassette, Am, FM, radio.

Yes the wrong driver CD issue is solved and your C2009 has three service packs issued.

Probably but you would need to use the drivers and software that come with that capture device not Roxio software.

cd

Thank you CD, very much obliged. This forum is amazing and I never cease to wonder at how kind folk are to people like me with very little technical knowledge. Cheers! Ian

Archived