• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Interlace Issues

Rick Lavon

Question

Trying to encode NTSC output from Final Cut Pro to Toast 10 using custom encoding. Output DVD gets interlace artifacts. I have tried "automatic" "lower" and "progressive" settings without luck. Source video is uncompressed 8-bit 720x486 QT movie. 720x480 movies work fine. Can Toast work with any other file size?

1 answer to this question

Trying to encode NTSC output from Final Cut Pro to Toast 10 using custom encoding. Output DVD gets interlace artifacts. I have tried "automatic" "lower" and "progressive" settings without luck. Source video is uncompressed 8-bit 720x486 QT movie. 720x480 movies work fine. Can Toast work with any other file size?

Hi Rick -

720x486 is the Sony D1 standard and not necessarily compatible with home (in this case consumer DVD) video.

There will need to be some converting since you are 6 pixels over the NTSC standard and this maybe causing your artifacts where the 720x480 is coming out fine. Toast will not simply lop 3 pixels from the top and the bottom, but will re-encode to 720x480.

If you have the original 720x486 session, I'd recommend re-exporting at 720x480 since they seem to both have the same target format of DVD.

Jon

Archived