Hi-Def Camcorder Capture Question

brodeck

Question

Are there any gotchas with capturing hi-def camcorder streams to VideoWave, and then burning to a disc for a DVD player?

I have one of the original Sony HDR-HC1 hi-def camcorders. Previously, I connected to a Dell external video capture device by RCA cables. This works.

I finally got the i.Link-to-Firewire cable, and what a difference it makes! The camera knows to transfer in

hi-def, and EMC8 nows offers to go 16:9 and it looks great while I capture it.

I find that the VideoWave project doesn't play well on the hi-def portions. I'm running a Dell 8250 with 3.06GHz proc and 1GB RAM, and an ATI board with 128MB RAM. Possibly not a big enough dog for hi-def?

When I click the reel icon and try burning to an MPG, it abends when it hits the hi-def portion. I have to reboot and get back in.

Bottom line - is this because hi-def and EMC8 don't work this way? Or is there a problem with my hi-def file??

TIA for your help!

16 answers to this question

Right off... go to the ATI website and download the newest drivers!!! Your's is date 2003.

Get the latest DirectX here

Gary and Bruce, I may have put the key in the lock. It's a combination of what you've told me in this thread, combined with a comment by Gary in another thread.

Since the two of you figure so centrally in shepherding rooks like me, you may want the combo in your bag of tricks. :)

I thought I had the latest driver for my ATI card because Dell told me I did. Bad move, of course.

I uninstalled my ATI driver and rebooted, then installed the latest. I think I was good on DirectX but I reinstalled anyway.

All this left me STILL in a bad state.

Here's te key - Gary mentioned in another thread the graphics test in VW8 | Tools | Options. His point was that ending up with "software" vs. "hardware" means that you don't have the video chipset.

I recalled having been there and seeing it set at "software". I double-checked and it was still that way. In fact, I had previously run the test and resulted in "software".

Conclusion: I updated the video drivers, but rerunning the test changed the result to "hardware"! The proper driver led to changing over to hardware rendering!

My next burn may croak unmercifully, but the lesson I learned is that updating the video driver will not change the rendering mode. It must be rest manually or changed via the graphics test.

Sorry for the happy rant, Gary and Bruce, but I suspect you can use this going forward. :huh:

Brian

Not me either.......... :huh:

<Groan>

I have had a very discouraging voyage down the path of using EMC8 to edit hi-def captures. I have never been successful at combining both a standard DVD video segment and a hi-def segment. The s/w takes a dump every time when trying MYDVD8. I can't keep the audio and video in the same county when I play the project in VW8 either.

I haven't tried burning a single hi-def capture to an iso file yet - wish I had before writing.

In despair, I decided to switch the output from my camcorder so that the camera translates the HDV to DV. This at least will pretend to play nice with the other segments, but I couldn't conclude a burn to iso either. In fact, MYDVD8 made it all the way through the video encoding, all the way through the menu encoding, only to have it hang at 100% menu decoding and 94% overall.

BTW, what is the next step after the menu finishes encoding? At least, I'd like to know the name of the brick wall that owns my forehead... :)

Brian

Brian - you haven't listed your computer specs. This info could help. Having updated video drivers, audio drivers and DirectX are important with EMC8. Interesting that the Sony camcorder has the ability to translate the HDV to DV. Nice....

I have successfully used 4:3 and 16:9 DV AVI clips together with no problems. I like burning to video folder so I can test the menu with a DVD software. Disc Copier can still burn the folder if it works correctly.

I'm headed there now.

Thanks again for top-drawer assistance! Many forums lack the dedication I've found here!

Brian

Okay, my ATI drivers are now at 8.241.0.0 dated 3/21/06. I've also installed the latest DirectX 9.0c, so we'll see how things go...

Brian

Okay, my ATI drivers are now at 8.241.0.0 dated 3/21/06. I've also installed the latest DirectX 9.0c, so we'll see how things go...

Brian

Okay, here's where I am.

My input from a DVD as well as my hi-def camcorder are both SD, not HD.

In VW8, I was able to burn the project to an MPEG file. However, I was able to do that before upgrading DirectX or my ATI drivers. I'm not sure whether it will burn twice in a row...

I sent the project to MYDVD8 and saved it. I attempted to burn the project to an ISO file. The results are that it encodes the video 100%, encodes the menu 100%, and then hangs up at 95% overall completion.

Hey, that's better than before the drivers were updated! I could only get to 94% then. :)

Does anybody know what's happening in the ISO burn process after the menue is 100% encoded? IOW, what's hanging up at that stage??

Thanks,

Brian

Are there any gotchas with capturing hi-def camcorder streams to VideoWave, and then burning to a disc for a DVD player?

I have one of the original Sony HDR-HC1 hi-def camcorders. Previously, I connected to a Dell external video capture device by RCA cables. This works.

I finally got the i.Link-to-Firewire cable, and what a difference it makes! The camera knows to transfer in

hi-def, and EMC8 nows offers to go 16:9 and it looks great while I capture it.

I find that the VideoWave project doesn't play well on the hi-def portions. I'm running a Dell 8250 with 3.06GHz proc and 1GB RAM, and an ATI board with 128MB RAM. Possibly not a big enough dog for hi-def?

When I click the reel icon and try burning to an MPG, it abends when it hits the hi-def portion. I have to reboot and get back in.

Bottom line - is this because hi-def and EMC8 don't work this way? Or is there a problem with my hi-def file??

TIA for your help!

Don't burn your production in VideoWave. You don't manually have to convert it to anything. Burn it in MyDVD. MyDVD will do all the conversion necessary to make it a DVD movie.

Don't burn your production in VideoWave. You don't manually have to convert it to anything. Burn it in MyDVD. MyDVD will do all the conversion necessary to make it a DVD movie.

Thanks, I'll try it out tonight.

Is that what they meant when they said that hi-def is now supported in EMC8??

Brian - you haven't listed your computer specs. This info could help. Having updated video drivers, audio drivers and DirectX are important with EMC8. Interesting that the Sony camcorder has the ability to translate the HDV to DV. Nice....

I have successfully used 4:3 and 16:9 DV AVI clips together with no problems. I like burning to video folder so I can test the menu with a DVD software. Disc Copier can still burn the folder if it works correctly.

My signature should include the necessary techie stuff now.

I went on the Dell site a month or two ago when I rebuilt my PC (bad drive replaced under warranty) and got the latest drivers for the ATI video and Sound Blaster audio. BTW, Device Manager also states that I have a Dell Movie Studio Audio Device. Since I'm pretty sure that it originally shipped with Sonic s/w, and since I didn't reinstall any of that (in favor of EMC8), I'm thinking that I'm okay.

Question - how do I check my version of DirectX? Microsoft Update shows me completely updated.

Thanks, Brian

My signature should include the necessary techie stuff now.

I went on the Dell site a month or two ago when I rebuilt my PC (bad drive replaced under warranty) and got the latest drivers for the ATI video and Sound Blaster audio. BTW, Device Manager also states that I have a Dell Movie Studio Audio Device. Since I'm pretty sure that it originally shipped with Sonic s/w, and since I didn't reinstall any of that (in favor of EMC8), I'm thinking that I'm okay.

Question - how do I check my version of DirectX? Microsoft Update shows me completely updated.

Thanks, Brian

In addition to what Gary said, after you download the ATI drivers, uninstall the current drivers, reboot, then install the new drivers.

Archived