• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Not Too Fond Of A, B Or C?

radamanthys

Question

Hi!

Might have been covered here, might have not. I didn't find the answer here before, I came across it by trial and error myself, so it might help someone with a simmilar problem as it drove me to reinstalling my os, which turned out to totally unnecesary as the whole thing was just roxio bug.

I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 suite which came bundled with my hp desktop pc.

It was a two-stage problem:

- first, one day the suite recognized all drives as C:, meaning all of them were labeled C in roxio even though nothing changed within windows (so I had hdd, dvd burner and virtual drive, all labelled C), interestingly enough at that time it was possible to burn a dvd, but it took some time, as roxio wouldn't report any details on the blank disc; tried uninstalling, having a clean install, updating px engine and all that in whatever order you wish. I decided roxio was messed up from me trying to make my drives work in ahci mode and then switching back to ide, so...

- after having a clean install of Vista, customizing it to my liking I fire up roxio and... it sees a drive, but without a letter, when I pop in a blank dics nothing happens and it says... no disc.

Don't remember how but then it hit me... I liked my optical drives labelled A: and B: and, yep, you guessed it, after labelling them ANYTHING BUT A or B roxio had no problem recognizing the drives. Now is that a tricky little bug or what?

--

Rad

7 answers to this question

I think you've just found out it's not safe to assume anything.

Touche! However, I still assume the airbags will pop out the second I need them... Maybe not really "safe" to assume that, but makes the trip from A to B bearable!

Back to the topic - I still think it's a sort of legacy thing that is no longer relevant, but as much as it hurts, I'll say it: my bad. Thanks for your input, guys.

You're welcome, and it's interesting to have philosophical discussions about the value or meaning of A: and B: too, as long as you realize we're not the movers and shakers who make those decisions but only the fellow users who are trying to help others with difficulties. :)

Cheers,

Brendon

Touche! However, I still assume the airbags will pop out the second I need them... Maybe not really "safe" to assume that, but makes the trip from A to B bearable!

Back to the topic - I still think it's a sort of legacy thing that is no longer relevant, but as much as it hurts, I'll say it: my bad. Thanks for your input, guys.

You're welcome.

You are the first person, who I have seen post anywhere, that they changed their optical drive letters, to those that are normally dedicated to floppy drives. I would call that a user error, before I would blame a stripped down OEM version, of any software. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Well, you may be right. Still, as long as those letters are availible to be chosen I'd say they are as good as any. It's been several years since I had a 1,44 installed, not to mention 5,25 (or whatever) in any of my machines. I think it's pretty safe to assume the A and B letters are no longer what they used to be.

On top of that, I don't think the choice of a drive letter should influence my recording software functionality in ANY way.

Well, you may be right. Still, as long as those letters are availible to be chosen I'd say they are as good as any. It's been several years since I had a 1,44 installed, not to mention 5,25 (or whatever) in any of my machines. I think it's pretty safe to assume the A and B letters are no longer what they used to be.

On top of that, I don't think the choice of a drive letter should influence my recording software functionality in ANY way.

It evidentially did.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the A and B letters are no longer what they used to be.

I think you've just found out it's not safe to assume anything.

A and B as drive letters are still reserved for floppy drives in most modern Operating Systems

Hi!

Might have been covered here, might have not. I didn't find the answer here before, I came across it by trial and error myself, so it might help someone with a simmilar problem as it drove me to reinstalling my os, which turned out to totally unnecesary as the whole thing was just roxio bug.

I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 suite which came bundled with my hp desktop pc.

It was a two-stage problem:

- first, one day the suite recognized all drives as C:, meaning all of them were labeled C in roxio even though nothing changed within windows (so I had hdd, dvd burner and virtual drive, all labelled C), interestingly enough at that time it was possible to burn a dvd, but it took some time, as roxio wouldn't report any details on the blank disc; tried uninstalling, having a clean install, updating px engine and all that in whatever order you wish. I decided roxio was messed up from me trying to make my drives work in ahci mode and then switching back to ide, so...

- after having a clean install of Vista, customizing it to my liking I fire up roxio and... it sees a drive, but without a letter, when I pop in a blank dics nothing happens and it says... no disc.

Don't remember how but then it hit me... I liked my optical drives labelled A: and B: and, yep, you guessed it, after labelling them ANYTHING BUT A or B roxio had no problem recognizing the drives. Now is that a tricky little bug or what?

--

Rad

You are the first person, who I have seen post anywhere, that they changed their optical drive letters, to those that are normally dedicated to floppy drives. I would call that a user error, before I would blame a stripped down OEM version, of any software. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Archived