• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Usb Capture Freezes

mklau

Question

I'm trying to capture video with the USB connection from my DVR (this worked with my older computer, so I now the source is compatible). I can see the video in the preview box, but as soon as I press Capture, it freezes. The only thing I can do to unfreeze (? thaw) it short of turning off the computer is to unplug the USB device. Nothing is saved. I've tried saving to 2 different hard drives.

Specs:

XP SP3 (my other computer was SP2 - not sure if that's the issue)

4 G RAM

Nvidia 7300 SE PCI-express video card

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo

Intel Core 2 quad 6600 CPU 2.4 ghz

Roxio creator 2009

DirectX 10

Connecting via composite. Video editing is the main reason I upgraded my computer. This is very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

PS - Windows Movie Maker also freezes. Again, makes me wonder if Windows SP3 is the culprit - otherwise, I can't figure why it would not work on a system with better components than the previous system....

7 answers to this question

Sorry, it is Direct X 9 - my mistake. And the "unnamed USB device" is the Roxio USB video capture that came with Roxio 2009 at Costco. And yes, I did install the latest drivers (and uninstalled them, and reinstalled them....).

Thank you for clearing all that up.

Let's go through this by the numbers…

post-39730-1234177387.jpg

Uninstall:

• Plug in Device
  • Device Manager
  • USB Audio Device
  • USB Capture Device

With both those deleted, unplug the device and reboot.

Install:

• Plug in the device – Cancel!!!
  • Run the Device disc, Install Drivers

Should show this:

post-39730-1234177396.jpg

If it still doesn't work in both Roxio and Windows Movie Maker – call Roxio!

I'm trying to capture video with the USB connection from my DVR (this worked with my older computer, so I now the source is compatible). I can see the video in the preview box, but as soon as I press Capture, it freezes. The only thing I can do to unfreeze (? thaw) it short of turning off the computer is to unplug the USB device. Nothing is saved. I've tried saving to 2 different hard drives.

Specs:

XP SP3 (my other computer was SP2 - not sure if that's the issue)

4 G RAM

Nvidia 7300 SE PCI-express video card

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo

Intel Core 2 quad 6600 CPU 2.4 ghz

Roxio creator 2009

DirectX 10

Connecting via composite. Video editing is the main reason I upgraded my computer. This is very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

PS - Windows Movie Maker also freezes. Again, makes me wonder if Windows SP3 is the culprit - otherwise, I can't figure why it would not work on a system with better components than the previous system....

I thought that DirectX 10 was for Vista; why are you using it?

This is from a MS Q&A. I don't know how old the article is nor do I know if things have changed.

Since you are having issues with both video applications; perhaps that is another thing that might be causing the problem. I don't have any experience with this issue nor do I remember many posts on running DirectX 10 and XP.

Just an update - I did as you recommended and no such luck, so I contacted Roxio. They asked me to make sure my video drivers were updated. I ran Windows Update, which updated my video driver several months ago, and it stated there were no hardware updates. I decided to go to Nvidia site just in case Windows Update missed something. I figured WTF? Sure enough, a new update several weeks ago. Downloaded directly from Nvidia, installed and case closed - records without a problem.

Lessons learned - 2 month old video drivers can cause USB capture device to not work, and don't assume Windows Update will provide the most recent drivers. I appreciate everyone's help.

Just an update - I did as you recommended and no such luck, so I contacted Roxio. They asked me to make sure my video drivers were updated. I ran Windows Update, which updated my video driver several months ago, and it stated there were no hardware updates. I decided to go to Nvidia site just in case Windows Update missed something. I figured WTF? Sure enough, a new update several weeks ago. Downloaded directly from Nvidia, installed and case closed - records without a problem.

Lessons learned - 2 month old video drivers can cause USB capture device to not work, and don't assume Windows Update will provide the most recent drivers. I appreciate everyone's help.

Never rely on Windows Update for device drivers, always go to the manufatcurers website.

Archived