Error 1406

davidrsykes

Question

I get the following when installing emc8.

Error 1406 Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\isofile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\RXDCExtSvr

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.

I click ignore and it completes the installation. I have tried installation with firewall and virus both active and disconnected and get the same error.

Whether it's because it doesn't write the value but I have several problems running the program. I have to set the compatability to Widows 98/Windows Me for anythng to work at all. Then none of the Photo tools work (I get a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error). Some of the DVD & Video tools I get Error: unable to load skin.

I have paid for a suite of programs but can only use about 25% of them. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, I might then get some value from the program.

4 answers to this question

Thanks, I have done all that but still get the error message. Have installed latest Directx and am logged on as Computer Administrator. In desperation I have re-installed emc 7 to get at some of the utilities I can't use in 8.

If it helps my computer is as follows:

sony vaio 3.2

ati radeon 9200 series 128mb DDR SDRAM

512mb RAM

windows xp home service pack 2

700gb usable hard disk space

420gb free hard disk space.

Until I can do a clean install I still don't know if this is the cause of the other errors I am getting

You might want to try checking Registry Permissions by following the link below and see if that helps.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=3798

Regards

Roxio Technical Support

Thanks for trying to help. I tried that link with permissions but still got the same error, so I tried the same on the key that it couldn't write to in the first place and then didn't get the error message. I have started from scratch, I uninstalled the Suite and the Contents and then re-installed and didn't get any error messages. I re-booted but still can't get the program to run unless I change the compatability to Windows 98/Windows Me. I am still having problems with some parts of the suite. In the Photos section if I click on Import Photos I get the following error.

Runtime Error

Program:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

When I click on some other parts of the suite nothig happens at all. The audio section seems to work ok.

Please help.

I get the following when installing emc8.

Error 1406 Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\isofile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\RXDCExtSvr

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.

I click ignore and it completes the installation. I have tried installation with firewall and virus both active and disconnected and get the same error.

Whether it's because it doesn't write the value but I have several problems running the program. I have to set the compatability to Widows 98/Windows Me for anythng to work at all. Then none of the Photo tools work (I get a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error). Some of the DVD & Video tools I get Error: unable to load skin.

I have paid for a suite of programs but can only use about 25% of them. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated, I might then get some value from the program.

I found this ( http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4099 ) by doing a Google search on that error......see if this helps you.

Thanks, I have done all that but still get the error message. Have installed latest Directx and am logged on as Computer Administrator. In desperation I have re-installed emc 7 to get at some of the utilities I can't use in 8.

If it helps my computer is as follows:

sony vaio 3.2

ati radeon 9200 series 128mb DDR SDRAM

512mb RAM

windows xp home service pack 2

700gb usable hard disk space

420gb free hard disk space.

Until I can do a clean install I still don't know if this is the cause of the other errors I am getting

You might want to try checking Registry Permissions by following the link below and see if that helps.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=3798

Regards

Roxio Technical Support

Archived