• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

ECDC 5 and DirectCD error Conserns... what should I do?

acdnatic

I am quite concerned about a specific situation involving my Easy CD Creator 5 and the possibility of my not burning my Cd's or backing up my Cd's with this message:

"Error: Read Data

Illegal request. Drive reported an error with a command it received, please call...

(technical support for more information?)

You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access." :)

I received this message last night. Is this a driver issue? Because I tried to remove the ECDC 5 from my system and re-installed it to the previous one [v. 5.1], and I still get this message...

Illegal request. Drive reported an error with a command it received, please call...

You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access." :huh:

Is it something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to update my driver with my system?

Can some help me with this situation? I want to backup my disk to re-install my computer system.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 w/ Intel Pentium 4 1.46 GB [2002 model]

I have 256 Mb of Ram [will upgrade to 512 to 1 gig in future] and 40GB Hard Drive

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator 5(.3) on a Samsung HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B CD-R/RW Drive

I hope that helps, and I will await for a response.

Thank you,

Jay Batch

acdnatic

I am quite concerned about a specific situation involving my Easy CD Creator 5 and the possibility of my not burning my Cd's or backing up my Cd's with this message:

You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access." :)

I received this message last night. Is this a driver issue? Because I tried to remove the ECDC 5 from my system and re-installed it to the previous one [v. 5.1], and I still get this message...

You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access." :huh:

Is it something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to update my driver with my system?

Can some help me with this situation? I want to backup my disk to re-install my computer system.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 w/ Intel Pentium 4 1.46 GB [2002 model]

I have 256 Mb of Ram [will upgrade to 512 to 1 gig in future] and 40GB Hard Drive

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator 5(.3) on a Samsung HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B CD-R/RW Drive

I hope that helps, and I will await for a response.

Thank you,

Jay Batch

acdnatic

You have a OEM version of ECDC, contact Dell for support. They may have modified the software that they got from Roxio to meet their specific requirements.

Since "Drive Letter Access' (DLA) is the name of a different Packet-Writing program (competitor of DirectCD), my first question has to do with what other Packet-Writing or CD-burning programs you have on your computer.

Nero's InCD is another Packet-Writing program.

ALL Packet-Writing programs are very effective in permantly losing the data - altho they can be used for transferring files between computers. (Flash drives, which were not available when ECDC 5 came out, are more effective. Also known as Pen / Thumb / Jump / Keychain drives)

Which also brings up the question - you weren't trying to do backup with Packet-Writing, were you?

And what are you thinking to backup? MyDocs, & that kind of stuff? Or the entire system?

Lynn

Since "Drive Letter Access' (DLA) is the name of a different Packet-Writing program (competitor of DirectCD), my first question has to do with what other Packet-Writing or CD-burning programs you have on your computer.

Unfortunately, I don't have any. No other cd burning programs at all... Just ECDC 5 w/ DirectCD, DataCD, and MusicCD which came with my system...

Nero's InCD is another Packet-Writing program.

Nope, not even that.

ALL Packet-Writing programs are very effective in permantly losing the data - altho they can be used for transferring files between computers. (Flash drives, which were not available when ECDC 5 came out, are more effective. Also known as Pen / Thumb / Jump / Keychain drives)

No knowledge about packet-writing, so I'm at a lost here...

Which also brings up the question - you weren't trying to do backup with Packet-Writing, were you?

And what are you thinking to backup? MyDocs, & that kind of stuff? Or the entire system?

Lynn

Again, I have no knowlege of packet-writing, I only just store pictures, zip files that I have dowloaded stuff [mostly freestuff items] on the cd.

I have had problems with Roxio's program and driver since I have bought my Dell system in '02. Upon trying to put artwork files, graphic files I have created (with long MB filesizes), I would get that there's not enough to put on one cd and that I need to use a new blank CD. Paid items (zip files), I put my zip files to My Downloads then use either DirectCD or DataCD to store then and burn them on CD. This is the first time I have received such a message, and I can't seem to use a blank disk and backup some of my files.

I rarely don't burn music on my CDs, just data files

I don't backup the whole system, it would probably take more CDs to takle such a task, just my files. My zip files ranges from 300/400MB and I like to put them on my CD in case something happens to my system. I don't want to loose important data.

Is there a patch where I can fix this problem or is there another way to go about this?

Any little advice helps.

Thank you so much for all your replies.

No knowledge about packet-writing, so I'm at a lost here...

Again, I have no knowlege of packet-writing, I only just store pictures, zip files that I have dowloaded stuff [mostly freestuff items] on the cd.

I have had problems with Roxio's program and driver since I have bought my Dell system in '02. Upon trying to put artwork files, graphic files I have created (with long MB filesizes), I would get that there's not enough to put on one cd and that I need to use a new blank CD. Paid items (zip files), I put my zip files to My Downloads then use either DirectCD or DataCD to store then and burn them on CD. This is the first time I have received such a message, and I can't seem to use a blank disk and backup some of my files.

I rarely don't burn music on my CDs, just data files

I don't backup the whole system, it would probably take more CDs to takle such a task, just my files. My zip files ranges from 300/400MB and I like to put them on my CD in case something happens to my system. I don't want to loose important data.

Is there a patch where I can fix this problem or is there another way to go about this?

Any little advice helps.

Thank you so much for all your replies.

If you format the CD before you put data on it, you are using Packet-Writing. Packet Writing is a very good way to permantly LOSE all the data. It is NOT recommended.

By the time you format the disc, the amount of space left is limited to just one of those huge files (300 to 400MB) you are referring to.

It could be you tried to write to a Packet-Written (formated) CD and the CD has failed or is failing. (That means, the data has gone or is going bye-bye.)

However, you might check some of these DirectCD (Packet-Written) discs and see if they are still readable. (Are they CD-R or CD-RW?)

Do you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer?

I'm not sure how much support Dell would give you in 2006 for a computer system from '02.

Lynn

If you format the CD before you put data on it, you are using Packet-Writing. Packet Writing is a very good way to permantly LOSE all the data. It is NOT recommended.

By the time you format the disc, the amount of space left is limited to just one of those huge files (300 to 400MB) you are referring to.

It could be you tried to write to a Packet-Written (formated) CD and the CD has failed or is failing. (That means, the data has gone or is going bye-bye.)

However, you might check some of these DirectCD (Packet-Written) discs and see if they are still readable. (Are they CD-R or CD-RW?)

Do you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer?

I'm not sure how much support Dell would give you in 2006 for a computer system from '02.

Lynn

Okay, I only use DirectCD for formatting my CDs for putting my file data on them. This is something to think about. I have never known that, I just felt that you can use a blank CD to put in data or some sort.

Ironically, some of the CDs I have burned with all my data I have stored (10 CDs in all) with no problems and they still read my data files to this very day, but it takes a while for it to boot up and read. Maybe my CD burner is going out -- I don't know :)

Well, for that I'm stumped as to what to do.

I think I only have just the regular USB ports on my system (3 of them). I heard so much about USB 2.0. Is that something that I could consider?

I think I might have options (I don't know if any of these would be any good)...

I might need to invest on getting another CD/R or a DVD/R drive to put on my system.

...and I will contact Dell Support to see what they say in the matter. Like you said, it can be an impossibility since it's been 4 years ago. I'm not planning on getting another computer system anytime soon.

What are your suggestions?

I apologize if I come across as a nag, but I have some important files on my Hard Drive and I won't make a move until I find a solution to backup my data files.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

J. Batch

Hello,

Would you please tell me the following info:

1) What program are you runninh when you get this error?

2) What operating System are you running it in?

3) Exactly what are you doing when you get the error?

4) What is the EXACT text of the error, as I have searched my whole drive with ECDC5 on it for the text "You will not be able to read and write to the CD" and "through drive letter access" and I can't find either of those strings embedded in any ECDC5 files.

5) WHO does the error message say to call? You say "(technical support for more information?)" but that isn't what it actually says, is it?

Hello,

Would you please tell me the following info:

1) What program are you runninh when you get this error?

2) What operating System are you running it in?

3) Exactly what are you doing when you get the error?

4) What is the EXACT text of the error, as I have searched my whole drive with ECDC5 on it for the text "You will not be able to read and write to the CD" and "through drive letter access" and I can't find either of those strings embedded in any ECDC5 files.

5) WHO does the error message say to call? You say "(technical support for more information?)" but that isn't what it actually says, is it?

Hello, Brendon

1) The program I'm running is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 (which was included in my Dell System) , the update is 5.3.5

2) The Operating System is Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

3) I am formatting the CD for it to be read, and when it reads, I get the error message

4) The exact text reads:

Error : Read Data

Illegal request. Drive reported an error with a command it receive, please

{ a cutoff in the sentence}

You will not be able to read and write to the CD through drive letter access.

That's exactly what it says. After the first line, 'please' is shown in the error message to which (I think) the whole sentence is cut off

5) That's just it. It doesn't say "Technical Support for more Information"... It didn't give out further information on the first sentence. The 'technical support' was just an assumption that I contact support or something like that.

I have tried blank CD after blank CD, and upon using the DirectCD to format it, I get the Error: Read Data.

Again, I'm using Windows XP with the Service Pack 2 in it. I never had this kind of problem upon formatting and store file on CD in the past.

So, I think I need a new CD burner hard drive. I had that burner which was installed on my Dell systme for 4 years. Who knows.

Do you have any suggestion or findings, I am more than interested.

Plus, I have proof of that error message via screen capture if there's a way to show it.

Thank you and hope to hear from more...

J. Batch

I see two points right off -

- try the link in the post pinned to the top of the board for the Dell patch. (Be advised that normally, ECDC 5 and WinXP SP2 don't get along, particularly when the SP2 is patched over ECDC 5. The Dell patch seems to get around that on Dell systems.)

- "Basic False Analogy" - you format the floppy before you use it, therefor the CD should be formatted before use. That is ONLY true IF you are using Packet-Writing, which, as stated earlier, is best used for permantly losing data. To use a BLANK CD, DOESN'T mean to format the CD. If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the CD. Put the blank CD in the drive, and use DataProject to write the disc.

If you have USB 2.0 - and if you don't you can get a USB card installed - you can use an external Hard Drive for backups. They've gotten fairly cheap, and the smaller ones these days are like, 80GB.

Lynn

Hello J Bach,

I think I'm on its trail. Is this the error you're getting?

post-208-1146308854.jpg

I found an entry at http://maxxpsoft.com/ which dealt with this error. From what I can see the poster was having a problem with his drive connection and got the error halfway through a Direct CD format. It would seem that this error was caused by problems with the data fed from the drive to the computer because he had his drive attached to the middle instead of the end of the ribbon cable.

Now it's unlikely that you are having a data problem because of the position of your drive on its cable like he was, because that would have always been a problem, and yours seems recent. But it might be worth checking your cable position in case that is aggravating the situation. Here's the link, in case it helps you.

click here

However you could be having a data problem during formatting because your drive's optics are getting grubby, or because the electronic parts on the drive are drifting out of specifications due to age.

You can often fix an optics problem by getting a CD lens cleaner disc and running that, but fixing drifting component values often costs more than the drive is worth. If connecting to the end of the ribbon cable and cleaning the lens don't work and you insisist on using Direct CD, you may need a new drive.

Now, where does that text live, and why didn't my search through all the files on the drive find it . . . . ??

Hello J Bach,

I think I'm on its trail. Is this the error you're getting?

post-208-1146308854.jpg

Yes, that's the one I got...

I found an entry at http://maxxpsoft.com/ which dealt with this error. From what I can see the poster was having a problem with his drive connection and got the error halfway through a Direct CD format. It would seem that this error was caused by problems with the data fed from the drive to the computer because he had his drive attached to the middle instead of the end of the ribbon cable.

Now it's unlikely that you are having a data problem because of the position of your drive on its cable like he was, because that would have always been a problem, and yours seems recent. But it might be worth checking your cable position in case that is aggravating the situation. Here's the link, in case it helps you.

click here

I will surely try what you have suggested...

However you could be having a data problem during formatting because your drive's optics are getting grubby, or because the electronic parts on the drive are drifting out of specifications due to age.

You can often fix an optics problem by getting a CD lens cleaner disc and running that, but fixing drifting component values often costs more than the drive is worth. If connecting to the end of the ribbon cable and cleaning the lens don't work and you insisist on using Direct CD, you may need a new drive.

Now, where does that text live, and why didn't my search through all the files on the drive find it . . . . ??

I will consider your options. As for the text itself, I just received it... I haven't burned any CDs this month.

Many thanks for your advice...

I appreciate the replies and any information that I need to know, it would be tremendous.

J Batch

One other thought to consider - if you updated your computer to sp2 under WinXP while ECDC5 was installed, that may cause the system to burp a bit also, according to some users.

If Brendon's suggestions do not work for you, you might try uninstalling ECDC5 entirely - then reinstalling, being sure to apply all available updates off this site to bring you up to version 5.3.5V BEFORE letting the system reboot. Be sure to apply the correct updates depending on whether you have basic or Platinum. "Basic" would have been supplied with your system or burner. Platinum is a retail purchase version with all the options and goodies included.

Hello again... So far, no such luck at all.

Here's the screen capture of what I got so far...

ErrorCD

I keep getting that information. I contact Dell Tech Support and went through the instructions and everything else. The CD-RW is working fine, it plays music aplumb, but since I have used up all of my CD-Rs, there's no way of finding the solution to the problem.

So, it isn't the CD-ROM/RW drive that's the problem... It's gotta be a software thing or just my using the wrong blank CD to do the burn. I have used Memorex's Blank CD-R (two CDs in one jewel case for 99 cents, a bargain so I thought)

I'm not backing out on this, but if I have more problems with the CD then I'll invest on getting something else to remedy it [a new CD-R drive or an Internal Hard Drive (80 GB)].

I did search online for other Backup CD software (for instance CloneCD), has anyone tried it or is it any good? Can someone recommend me other backup CD software?

Thank you so much for all your advice and information. I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

J Batch

One other thought to consider - if you updated your computer to sp2 under WinXP while ECDC5 was installed, that may cause the system to burp a bit also, according to some users.

If Brendon's suggestions do not work for you, you might try uninstalling ECDC5 entirely - then reinstalling, being sure to apply all available updates off this site to bring you up to version 5.3.5V BEFORE letting the system reboot. Be sure to apply the correct updates depending on whether you have basic or Platinum. "Basic" would have been supplied with your system or burner. Platinum is a retail purchase version with all the options and goodies included.

Hello,

Point taken, I just recieve this reply. Yes, I will consider re-installing again ECDC5 off my system, and install the v.5.3.5 update (when installing the update, it states that it can work with Dimension 4500 up - my system is a Dimension 4400

These are good possibilities. But, I will invest in getting a different black CD media and look at what it can do. Sometimes blank Cds are only good for music and video, and sometiems blank Cds can work with both Music, Video, and Data.

Many thanks,

J Batch

So, it isn't the CD-ROM/RW drive that's the problem... It's gotta be a software thing or just my using the wrong blank CD to do the burn. I have used Memorex's Blank CD-R (two CDs in one jewel case for 99 cents, a bargain so I thought)

J Batch

There have been more problems reported usilng Memorex brand CD blanks than all other brands put together.

Try a different brand.

Altho it is possible for a burner to go.

Lynn

There have been more problems reported usilng Memorex brand CD blanks than all other brands put together.

Try a different brand.

Altho it is possible for a burner to go.

Lynn

Definitely try a different brand of disc, as Lynn suggested. The important thing here, is that the error is associated with packet writing. I've seen a similar message with Direct CD myself. At that point, I don't think the data was lost, just my ability to drag and drop more files to the disc.

Avoid formatting your discs for use with Direct CD, and start using the Data CD project in ECDC. When you get some new discs, first thing, use the Data CD project to write a standard (not packet written) disc, and let us know how that works. I'm guessing that it will work fine. You'll find that even though it takes a little longer to start up ECDC, add files to the Data CD project, the actual burn will usually be quicker than dragging the files to the CD using Direct CD.

Hope that helps!

Hello, again.

I was at a crossroads today/this evening. I bought Maxell's blank CDs and was lucky to do a Data CD on one CD and burned it the next. Now, I did another burn on another blank CD (again, copying data on Data CD and burning them), and then suddenly the CD drive opened and it didn't finish the burning process. I was right back where I started. I checked my CD-R only to find out that it was blank and did I need it formatted. Well, to be honest, it didn't burn the files I made on Data CD.

I tried again, added the data files on Data CD, burned them, then it stops telling me that there's an error on the disk.

Fortunately enough, I have one CD-R that made it through alright (my Music files of course and some computer applications :huh: ), but all my other CD-Rs that I tried to process on Data CD has errors after being burned or some sort.

Has anyone tried other blank CD-Rs and what brand is best? Maybe that's the focal point of the matter - buying cheap and regretting it. :)

I still have more zip application files I need to burn, and will try another brand of Blank CD-Rs, and in the future I will be investing in CD-RWs as well.

Maybe there's something wrong with my UDF Reader that's what causing it. I just can't wait to re-install my XP system once I backup all my files.

I'll still consider getting an external burner drive if needed.

And, thanks again for all the responses I'm getting and will look forward to more.

Thanks lynn and all the other posters who are trying to help me in this difficult situation.

J Batch

(1) somehow, I suspect you are failing to reboot between burning CDs.

(2) and after you reinstall your system, I await your discovering Packet-Writing tends to fail, usually at the worst possible time.

To put it as clearly as I can, if you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

Lynnj

PS: if you are copying the files of the computer applications, rather than the original installation disc, or original download, you cannot re-create the program from that because it doesn't have the registry entries nor the capability of creating the registry entries.

Archived