• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burn Speeds

k9lovers

Question

3 answers to this question

Thanks tsantee. So if you had to choose a write speed for a dvd and your choices were best, 4x or 8x which would give the best video quality? Is slower better for video quality or faster?

Thanks

The picture quality is the same. What can change is longevity and playback compatibility, although it likely won't make any difference between 4x and 8x on good-quality media. If you are using one of Apple's slot-loading Superdrives then choose 4x if you don't care that it takes a few minutes longer to burn. The only downside to choosing the slower speed is it takes more time.

Best is fastest so that doesn't make it the best. It actually can be "best" to burn at the slowest supported speed, particularly with audio CDs. I only burn at Best when I know I can always burn another copy should the burned disc not be usable at some future time. After the disc is inserted and recognized Toast will report only the speeds available for that specific disc on that specific drive with that specific drive's firmware. It is interesting to see how the supported speeds can be vastly different between different brands of media and different DVD drives.

Archived