• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audiobook Conversion Broken

bobio

Question

The audiobook conversion process is working erratically. I have ripped in three audio books, which then show up properly in the "audiobook" section of my iTunes. However, after I have shut down and then restarted my computer they disappear. They are still in the iTunes folder if I look via a file search from the finder, but will not appear in iTunes. Secondly, some audiobooks are added to iTunes as multiple books, rather than one. This happens when some of the disks are recognized by the Graceland database, but some of the disks in the same audiobook are not and must be entered manually. A recent example is that 4 autiobooks were created by Toast when I ripped in the 13 disks of Stpehen King's "Just After Sunset", even though I continued the process as one book, selecting "Done" only after adding all 13 disks. The book now appears as four books, each titled "Just After Sunset", but with a separate disk number (e.g. disc 5, disc 13, disk 01, disc 09). Hence, the one book becomes 4 books, and they are not even in the correct order. When the discs are recognized by the database they continue to rip in as one book. However, when you hit a disc that is not recognized (which is common), you are prompted to manually name the title and author. This apparently sets the next disc(s) as a new book, even though the program says otherwise. The main reason I upgraded to Toast Titanium 10 was for this feature. PLEASE: How do I: 1) Prevent the audiobooks to not disappear from my iTunes library once added? and 2) rip in as one book, not multiple books when the Graceland daatabase does not recognize each and every disk of an audiobook, a common occurrence? Thank you.

9 answers to this question

It seems very odd, that the last comment in this area was in early Feb 2009. It appears Roxio doesn't care 1 iota about the comments here. I wrote a tech support ticket last weekend regarding the audiobook problems. It is Wednesday afternoon and I haven't heard a single word from Roxio. It's very discouraging. Plus Roxio makes it so difficult to even write a tech support ticket. It's so difficult to write down the codes they want us to write down. And then when we do, we have to try to decipher another code. I tried phoning, but their offices were closed. they go by Eastern Standard time, and I tried from West Coast at 4PM. Anybody have a good tech support # for Roxio Toast.

Thanks, Spikey

I agree with your assessment of their tech support. Toast did recently post an update to 10.0.1, but it also lacks any documentation of this feature.

Thanks Bobio....I'm frustrated BIG TIME. I've written another support ticket and now all I can do is wait. This company has really gone down hill.especially in accessibility. I'm going to go check out Audiobook builder. I'll visit back here periodically.

I did as you suggested and ensured that I was importing multiple CDs into a single file. However, on two CDs the gracenote database came up empty. In each case Toast started a new audiobook, not just a new file. So, when I go to the Audiobook section of iTunes, it shows under the one title, "three audio books, three items. I tried it twice, taking about 4 hours total. I'm done. Audiobook Builder by Splasm works: Toast does not.

I have now ripped in about a dozen audiobooks with Audiobook Builder (ABB) with no apparent problems. The process seems slower than that of Toast, but as mentioned I could not get Toast to work. Another advantage of ABB is that you can pause/stop the project after any particular CD in a set, and then return later to finish the job. One additional thing you might check that was not addressed by my many interactions with Toast tech support is the location of your iTunes folder. In checking Apple forums it was mentioned that it was preferable to keep this folder in the original location - /users/music/iTunes. I mention this because a few years ago I kept this folder in /users/shared. This enabled both my wife and me to share one iTunes library from two different log in accounts. I never ran into any problems with this, and do not use it now. I don't know whether or not this would affect Toast.

bobio - To address the files not being saved in itunes i can only think of a few possibilities that would cause this problem. I have not been able to reproduce losing the files in itunes so i need to know how you installed Toast. Did you actually drag the Toast 10 folder to the Applications folder? If you are running toast from the disc this may be a cause of the problem. If toast is installed correctly, after clicking the Done button in audiobook format you should see a dialog in the itunes player window which shows an indication of the file being copied to itunes. It could take a little time after clicking the Done button for itunes to accept the file. If the copy is stopped or unfinished this may be a cause of itunes not saving the file properly.

The second problem you are having is receiving multiple files from multiple CD's. If i understand you correctly after inserting the discs which are recognized by gracenote inserting the unrecognized discs prompts you to enter title information. If this is correct then it seems to me that you are selecting the "Convert Multiple CD's to mutliple files" option. To get a single file regardless of gracenote recognition you must choose the "Multiple CD's to Single file" option. When creating a single audiobook file toast will allow you to label the disc only once which is when the first disc is inserted. If gracenote fails to name your disc your disc will be labeled "Unknown CD".

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided, however, to go with Audiobook Builder after reading other posts on this forum about the problem. The fact that Roxio support stated that Quicktime plugins, to include Flip4Mac, would interfere with the Toast Audiobook Conversion feature cinched my decision. If Roxio says that common Mac components break their program I am afraid to proceed, especially since they also state that no updates/patches to fix the bugs are planned. If I do have a few extra house sometime, I'll try your suggestions. But, having just purchased ABB for under $10 and finding it to work very well, I am "sold". Plus, the Splasm support dept is very responsive and answered my questions clearly.

To answer your question, however, I did drag the program to the Applications Folder. And, I permitted the program to complete all actions after clicking "Done". If I choose the "Multiple CD's to Single file" option to get around the program's buggy interaction with Gracenote, will the program still give me individual "chapters' for each track of each CD imported, as I can with ABB? This permits much easier navigation while playing on an iPod. I do not want to end up with one huge file in the event that I inadvertently hit the "skip" button on my iPod while exercising. Thanks for your help. You seem more knowledgeable than the Roxio support dept.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that the audiobook conversion feature is not even half baked. It's poorly designed (terrible interface, unclear what is going to happen), and it fails on all kinds of different errors. Searching this forum for "audiobook" will turn up other threads on the topic.

If you bought Toast 10 for the audiobook conversion feature, you should use the money back period to get a refund. You can always buy it again later, if the feature ever becomes usable.

For the last few days I have exchanged numerous emails with Roxio Support re: the bugs in the Audiobook Conversion feature. Maybe I am just dense and/or uncooperative, but they have not helped me at all. I am going to post the entire exchange below in the slight hope that the information may be of help to someone else. If so, please dummy it down so that I can understand. Here goes, in reverse chronological order of the messages:

Ticket # Status Date

674211 Open 2/10/2009

If you would like to add additional information or reply to this ticket, click the Update link.

Update

If you have resolved the issue and would like to close the ticket, click the Close link.

Close

Issue Description

Technical Support | Toast 10 | How-to/Usability

rgan

2/10/2009 Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

We do not have an estimation for the release of any updates or patches. You can check our website periodically for any available updates to your product or you can set to enable automatic update alerts.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support

WebTicket

2/10/2009 I will attempt to do so IF you assure me that if this does cure the problem, you will in turn provide me a quick (within a day or two) bug fix so that your program will work with this plugin. Flip4Mac is a VERY popular plugin for Mac users and is needed. When does your tech team anticipate a fix for this bug? My frustration is that each time you ask me to do your beta testing I have to spend hours ripping in 13 CDs to again find out the problem persists. The problem does not occur in a short audiobook (say 5-6 CDs) as I mentioned in my original post. If I had several extra hours in each day I would not need an audiobook conversion program; I would just do it the old fashioned iTunes way. Also, you failed to document in your release notes for Toast that there was a conflict with Flip4Mac. Since this is used by thousands of Mac users, I would like to see you post this on your support forum prior to my taking the several hours to perform the next experiment. With what other programs, plugins, etc do you know of that will cause your program to fail? Again, please post these know issues. I do not want to have to drag them out of you one at a time :-). Thank you.

rgan

Flip4Mac is a known confliction with Toast. Please TEST by relocating this plugin to a folder on your desktop then restart and try Toast again.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

WebTicket

2/10/2009 I have followed all of your recommendations with the exception of removing a vital plugin (Flip4Mac) from my Quicktiime folder. As I stated, I need this. If you will not help, I'll attempt to seek solutions on various forums. Again, I urge you to review your own forum postings, troubleshoot the problems listed, and provide documentation of the audiobook conversion feature in an update to the program.

rgan

As you are not willing to follow our recommended steps we will consider this ticket closed. If you have further information to provide or would like to try our recommendations please update the ticket.

Thank you,

Roxio Technical Support

WebTicket

2/10/2009 Thanks, but I am still wary. First, the other program, Audiobook Builder, is on my wife's Mac, not mine, so there is no interference. In addition to the Apple and DIVX plugins in my Quicktime folder, I also have the Flip4Mac plugins, which I DO need. If you will check your own discussion forums you will find that a very large number of people are complaining about the audiobook conversion feature NOT working on their computers as well. They are also complaining about the total lack of documentation about this feature. This should tell you that this problem is not a unique feature of my (or anyone else's) computer, but a bug in the program. Hence, the responsible way to pursue a fix is to not ask (previously) loyal customers like myself to perform multiple experiments with their various systems, but for your technical dept to immediately institute extensive testing to find and fix the bug. I appreciate your attempt to help, but I have no desire to be a beta tester. I want to purchase programs that work. Thanks.

rgan

Removing the Quicktime plugins is mearly a way to test to see if one of those codecs are interfeering with the conversion.

It seems that there could be a confliction with the other audiobook application you have. Please try the steps regarding the plugins as this WILL NOT cripple anything. The only codec you will need to leave in there is the Apple Intermediate and DiVX plugins.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

WebTicket

2/9/2009 Why on earth would I have to remove my Quicktime plugins? I need those! Audiobook Builder by Splasm Software does not require this, and it converts the audiobook CDs flawlessly. Rather than requiring me to cripple another program (Quicktime), please fix the bugs in Toast! Thank you.

rgan

2/9/2009 Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

Audiobooks: Each one created will be for a different section created, this simply means that the book is too large for 1 file and must be split.

Out of Order: Try removing your Quicktime Plugins:

Please open your hard drive and go to:

Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime

Create a new folder on your desktop and move all the contents from this Quicktime folder into this new folder, then reattempt.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

WebTicket

2/9/2009 Thank you, but these steps do not fix the primary problem of multiple files that are out of order. It has seemed to help the problem of the disappearing files. The prior problem, described below, persists:

Secondly, some audiobooks are added to iTunes as multiple books, rather than one. This happens when some of the disks are recognized by the Graceland database, but some of the disks in the same audiobook are not and must be entered manually. A recent example is that 4 autiobooks were created by Toast when I ripped in the 13 disks of Stpehen King's "Just After Sunset", even though I continued the process as one book, selecting "Done" only after adding all 13 disks. The book now appears as four books, each titled "Just After Sunset", but with a separate disk number (e.g. disc 5, disc 13, disk 01, disc 09). Hence, the one book becomes 4 books, and they are not even in the correct order.

This problem will not be resolved by deleting files on my computer. You have a bug in your program that needs to be fixed. Whether or not the Graceland database can read/identify all of the discs in an audiobook, your program needs to import all discs into files that remain in the correct order. Please fix this. Thanks you.

rgan

2/9/2009 Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

Please follow the Folder Paths below. Once in the Specified folder, please move the following files to the Trash Can. Once all files are move to the Trash, please follow the instrcutions below.

Folder Paths:

Macintosh HD/Library/Prefrences/

Macintosh HD/Users/(your user name)/Library/Prefrences/

Trash these below files from both folders above(if found in both):

com.BelightSoft.DiscCover2.plist

com.BelightSoft.GetBackup2.plist

com.boinx.fotomagico.plist

com.elgato.VideoPlayer.plist

com.lightcrafts.app

com.lightcrafts.jai.plist

com.lightcrafts.metadata2.plist

com.lightcrafts.templates.plist

com.lightcrafts.ui.plist

com.lightcrafts.utils.plist

com.lqgraphics.motionpictures.plist

com.CDSpinDoctor6.plist

com.roxio.Deepseasoftware.CDSpindoctor.plist

com.roxio.Popcorn.plist

com.roxio.Streamer.plist

com.roxio.Toast.plist

com.tivo.desktop.plist

Popcorn Preferences

Roxio Toast Prefs

And any other com.Roxio.* files found. If you do not see the files in one folder, please check the other.

Now you will need to Secure Empty your Trash. Close all windows and return to your desktop, click Finder(menubar)> Secure Empty Trash and restart the computer.

When the computer starts up again, please go to the following website and check for any update to your version of Toast, if an update is found for your version, please download and save the update. Install and Replace your version of Toast in Applications with the update.

Roxio Toast updates:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/software_updates.html

Open your Applications folder and double click on your Toast Titanium folder, then double click on the Toast Titanium application. Be sure you are not launching Toast from the .dmg file or Mounted Drive, you need to move the App folder to your Applications folder before launching.

**You cannot launch Extras before launching Toast. For all extra software such as CD Spin Doctor, Tivo Transfer, etc click the Extras Menu in Toast.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

Have you tried our online self-service tools? For instant support, please try one of the tools below:

Discussion Groups - http://forums.support.roxio.com/

Knowledgebase - http://search.roxio.com/

We are always looking for ways to improve so please click on the link below to complete our online support survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=gogk...2fyt0p0pg_3d_3d

WebTicket

2/8/2009 The audiobook conversion process is working erratically. I have ripped in three audio books, which then show up properly in the "audiobook" section of my iTunes. However, after I have shut down and then restarted my computer they disappear. They are still in the iTunes folder if I look via a file search from the finder, but will not appear in iTunes. Secondly, some audiobooks are added to iTunes as multiple books, rather than one. This happens when some of the disks are recognized by the Graceland database, but some of the disks in the same audiobook are not and must be entered manually. A recent example is that 4 autiobooks were created by Toast when I ripped in the 13 disks of Stpehen King's "Just After Sunset", even though I continued the process as one book, selecting "Done" only after adding all 13 disks. The book now appears as four books, each titled "Just After Sunset", but with a separate disk number (e.g. disc 5, disc 13, disk 01, disc 09). Hence, the one book becomes 4 books, and they are not even in the correct order. The main reason I upgraded to Toast Titanium 10 was for this feature. PLEASE: How do I: 1) Prevent the audiobooks to not disappear from my iTunes library once added? and 2) rip in as one book, not multiple books when the Graceland daatabase does not recognize each and every disk of an audiobook, a common occurrence? Thank you.

Press Releases About Us Privacy Legal Contact Us Site Map

© 2009 Sonic Solutions. All Rights Reserved. Roxio, the leader in Digital Media Software

Archived