Weekly Reinstall & Registry Cleaners

knotfurreel

Question

Brendon,

As a few others have noted, I seem to have to uninstall & reinstall EMC 10 nearly weekly. I realized from reading post's that it is near the time McAfee run's the cleaner. I am unable to locate within McAfee any way to tweek to get it to ignore Roxio. If someone would be able to find that info, it would be very helpful. My version is McAfee Total Protection.

I've d/l & installed the repair patch, (http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=40954) to fix the register due to missing registry key's from the cleaning of McAfee. As you are probably already aware of this it doesn't work for Vista. I also would like to note I have Vista 64-bit. Would you please advise on how I can repair my EMC 10.0.

Thank you

4 answers to this question

Knotfurreel,

Yes, I couldn't get The Repairer to work in Vista either. If you can work out which registry key is being killed in your version, you could

[1] Export that key while everything is working, and then re-import it after you've broken it with your registry key

or

[2] Repair the key manually as suggested in my pinned post.

or

[3] stop using that particular registry cleaner

or

[4] update to version 10.1 if you can.

Regards,

Brendon

Thank you Brendon,

I haven't noted which keys are being deleted. The cleaner doesn't list what registry keys are being deleted & of course McAfee will not help me, nor am is there an ignore list.

I read the URL previously, and searched for that registry key & hadn't found it. Would it be safe to assume this would be the key McAfee is deleting? How can I get the key excepting reinstalling.

Do you know if I uninstall all & reinstall 10.0 would the update to 10.1 address the issue with Vista 64-bit?

Is it safe to attempt the above.

Appreciate your input, I'm sorry if I didn't post correctly, first time I ever post.

knot

You will need to re-install EMC - but I'd strongly recommend you stop using that particular app.

There should be no need to run a registry cleaner on a regular basis - the only time I would use one (I use Ashampoo WinOptimizer) is if I have ben uninstalling a lot of stuff.

Btw - Ashampoo doesn't have that nasty habit of cleaning out the wrong keys ;)

I read the URL previously, and searched for that registry key & hadn't found it. Would it be safe to assume this would be the key McAfee is deleting? How can I get the key excepting reinstalling.

Apart from being successful with the Repairer or having a saved copy of the key, the only way you're going to get the broken key back is by reinstalling. However if you can inspect your registry after reinstalling, and replace the "tempvector" value in any Roxio keys you locate containing it, with the value 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\rsl.dll' then you should be able to bulletproof those Roxio keys against deletion. It's not a job for trepid folks though.

Do you know if I uninstall all & reinstall 10.0 would the update to 10.1 address the issue with Vista 64-bit?

No, I don't know I'm afraid. I've managed to avoid Vista-64, but I have seen many people reporting problems trying to get the software to run in it.

Is it safe to attempt the above.

Again, I don't know. I had an awful time trying to run the 10.1 updater on my EMC 10.0, and it took several times of installing 10.0 on a clean Windows system and then trying to update to 10.1 before I could get the 10.1 updater/installer to work. At one time I managed to get the 10.1 installer to work without having 10.0 installed first. Eventually one of them should work for you, but you may have to go right through the whole process several times before it does. That is not the best way to spend a weekend. :(

Regards,

Brendon

Archived