• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

My Dvd Express -- Error

Web Admin

Question

Hello,

I'm having trouble burning a project in My DVD Express. The burn process runs to 100%, then I receive the following error: "Unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Mode 1."

I created a VideoWave project (DMSM) of an original MPG TV recording (edit of the inauguration w/o commercials). I am trying to burn this onto a DVD +R DL (Memorex) at SP mode. I have it set to 8.5 GB, the actual file is 7064.4 MB with 1475.6 MB free.

I have a P4 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM running Win XP Pro SP3.

Video Card is 128MB Intel 82915G/910GL Express with Direct X 9.0c

This is a new Roxio Creator 2009 install and my first project on it.

I did a few troubleshooting steps:

(1) updated Intel video drivers;

(2) downloaded Win Media Player 10 update, KB888656 (prompted by Roxio Creator);

(3) saved a text file of DXDIAG

After the error occurred, I went to Microsoft Windows Update and was missing Windows Media Player 11. I downloaded and updated it, but got the same error when I tried again.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

16 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm having trouble burning a project in My DVD Express. The burn process runs to 100%, then I receive the following error: "Unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Mode 1."

I created a VideoWave project (DMSM) of an original MPG TV recording (edit of the inauguration w/o commercials). I am trying to burn this onto a DVD +R DL (Memorex) at SP mode. I have it set to 8.5 GB, the actual file is 7064.4 MB with 1475.6 MB free.

I have a P4 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM running Win XP Pro SP3.

This is a new Roxio Creator 2009 install and my first project on it.

I did a few troubleshooting steps:

(1) updated Intel video drivers;

(2) downloaded Win Media Player 10 update, KB888656 (prompted by Roxio Creator);

(3) saved a text file of DXDIAG

After the error occurred, I went to Microsoft Windows Update and was missing Windows Media Player 11. I downloaded and updated it, but got the same error when I tried again.

File size is pretty meaning less when it comes to video - it's the time length of the video that is important. A dtsndard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video, a 8.5GB DL DVD a bit less then 2 hours.

Your graphics chipset could also be causing you problems. If you are using hardware render switch to software render (unde Tools/Options set the software render option)

I would also "burn" to an image file (iso) file first and then use Video COpy & Convert to burn the iso to a DVD.

Also myDVD Express is not the burning program to use for creating DVDs. It is a simplified wizard that a lot of users have problems with. Use the full burning program myDVD.

WMP 11 is not needed, I am still using WMP 9 without any problems (under XP sp3)

What make of DVD are you using? Verbatims are among the best.

Frank...

I have had many similar problems over the years going all the way back to Creator 6. Even with lots of memory/fast processors/latest software revisions, etc. It's always frustrating but worth the effort when you finally get the DVD project burned.

As Walt suggested, burn an ISO file first, then use copy&convert to make the disk. Once you get a clean ISO, you can burn successful disks from it forever. I have also found better success when closing ALL applications, especially anti-virus software. I also disconnect from the network as a lot of stuff seems to go on in the background that might hiccup the burn. The encoding effort can be processor-intensive and you don't want wasted cycles.

I still have to occasionally re-burn a disk as some DVD players don't play all home-brew disks without freezing occasionally. Each revision of Creator gets better, although sometimes they seem to forget the formulas. That's why I keep the older versions that sometimes do the same functions more successfully. I suspect my real problem is my video card (Radeon X600), but haven't gone to the effort to get a newer one.

Hope this helps...

Gary

Can you break that down further? A 5 hour production, even if everything went fine w/ the program, wouldn't look good even on a DL disc. Look what Walt said in post no. 2.

To be more exact, the original CNN broadcast recorded onto DVD ran for 06:11:28.06 (just over 6 hours). I saved a copy onto the hard drive, this MPG file shows as 4.33 GB at 352x480 @ 29.97 FPS.

After editing out the commercials, the edited file is now 05:25:49.00.

Although it runs fine when viewing on-screen, I can't seem to burn an ISO file from this.

Frank

"…cant seem to burn an ISO…" is pretty vague???

I have not tried to push it to the absolute limit but by burning to Folder and using Video Copy and Convert, the best I have done is 4:00 hours.

Simply stated, until you split it up, it isn't going to happen!

You already have a Topic started, stay in it.

How long is the file? This was asked before but you never answered. – keep in mind that TIME is what video is based on and file size is a totally useless number…

The original TV recording was over 6 hours. After editing out commercials, it was approx. 1 hr less.

Frank

The original TV recording was over 6 hours. After editing out commercials, it was approx. 1 hr less.

Frank

Can you break that down further? A 5 hour production, even if everything went fine w/ the program, wouldn't look good even on a DL disc. Look what Walt said in post no. 2.

"…cant seem to burn an ISO…" is pretty vague???

I have not tried to push it to the absolute limit but by burning to Folder and using Video Copy and Convert, the best I have done is 4:00 hours.

Simply stated, until you split it up, it isn't going to happen!

Why did you say ... "is pretty vague" ... I already specified the error in #8 and #10, and way back at #1

... I'm trying not to be repetitive ... but here it is again ... just to be clear ...

The burn process runs to 100%, then I receive the following error:

"Unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Mode 1."

I didn't see any information in the documentation (book) about time limits

... but I'll go ahead and try splitting it up and see what happens.

Thanks,

Frank

Why did you say ... "is pretty vague" ... I already specified the error in #8 and #10, and way back at #1

... I'm trying not to be repetitive ... but here it is again ... just to be clear ...

The burn process runs to 100%, then I receive the following error:

I didn't see any information in the documentation (book) about time limits

... but I'll go ahead and try splitting it up and see what happens.

Thanks,

Frank

I am not going to search through a thread looking for bits and pieces when a simple clear statement would have sufficed.

Best of luck with your problem…

Hello again,

Just ran the ISO burn (adding the DMSM file) into MyDVD to create image file as instructed above.

Guess what happened ... it ran to 100% and then I got the same error as first reported ...

Now what ??

myguggi,

Any ideas on why I might be having the same error/issue when burning/creating an ISO file using MyDVD that I was having with MyDVD Express??

The type of media (DVD brand) should no longer be an issue since the ISO is straight to HD.

Should I open a new topic for:

My Dvd -- Error, My DVD -- Error While Encoding Mode 1

:(

File size is pretty meaning less when it comes to video - it's the time length of the video that is important. A dtsndard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video, a 8.5GB DL DVD a bit less then 2 hours.

Your graphics chipset could also be causing you problems. If you are using hardware render switch to software render (unde Tools/Options set the software render option)

I would also "burn" to an image file (iso) file first and then use Video COpy & Convert to burn the iso to a DVD.

Also myDVD Express is not the burning program to use for creating DVDs. It is a simplified wizard that a lot of users have problems with. Use the full burning program myDVD.

WMP 11 is not needed, I am still using WMP 9 without any problems (under XP sp3)

What make of DVD are you using? Verbatims are among the best.

A few questions:

(1) How do I burn my existing VideoWave project (DMSM) into an image file ??

(2) How do I burn the resulting ISO file to DVD with Video C&C ??

Thanks

A few questions:

(1) How do I burn my existing VideoWave project (DMSM) into an image file ??

(2) How do I burn the resulting ISO file to DVD with Video C&C ??

Thanks

A dmsm file is not a video file but simply a list of instructions on how to create the video including list of sources, transitions, edits, etc. You do not burn the dmsm file to the DVD

To use the dmsm file, launch myDVD and add the dmsm file using the Add option, then create your menu. When ready to burn, unchcek Burn to Disc and select create image file and remember where the image file is stored.

In VCC, browse to where the iso file is, select it and burn.

Hello,

I'm having trouble burning a project using My DVD. The burn process runs to 100%, then I receive the following error:

I created a VideoWave project (DMSM) of an original MPG TV recording.

I am trying to burn an image file (ISO).

IBM ThinkCentre P4 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM running Win XP Pro SP3.

A dmsm file is not a video file but simply a list of instructions on how to create the video including list of sources, transitions, edits, etc. You do not burn the dmsm file to the DVD

To use the dmsm file, launch myDVD and add the dmsm file using the Add option, then create your menu. When ready to burn, unchcek Burn to Disc and select create image file and remember where the image file is stored.

In VCC, browse to where the iso file is, select it and burn.

Hello again,

Just ran the ISO burn (adding the DMSM file) into MyDVD to create image file as instructed above.

Guess what happened ... it ran to 100% and then I got the same error as first reported ...

Now what ??

Archived