Poor Tivo Output To Dvd

Shellcasing

Question

Why is the tivo output to DVD so poor? If I attempt to make a disc using .TIVO files the output stinks - very pixellated. However, if I convert the files to mpeg-2 first, then make a DVD then the quality is good.

Using the tivo files always produces a warning about resolution and I suspect this is the reason. Is there some sort of licensing issue involved that keeps me from having decent quality DVDs?

8 answers to this question

Using VideoReDo, I burned 2 discs using the .TIVO and .MPEG files I created and both were fine. Only the Creator 2009 use of the .TIVO files caused bad output.

I've only recently switched to Roxio for burning. In the past I used other tools to convert the TIVO files to MPEG and then used MovieStudio, Nero, and MyDVD to make the discs - albiet on XP. So I don't feel like a Newbie - except in the use of Roxio Creator 2009.

Also, as I've mentioned before, Creator 2009 is the only thing that gives me a warning about Tivo resolutions. My working theory is they are downgraded in an effort to comply with some licensing agreement.

Why is the tivo output to DVD so poor? If I attempt to make a disc using .TIVO files the output stinks - very pixellated. However, if I convert the files to mpeg-2 first, then make a DVD then the quality is good.

Using the tivo files always produces a warning about resolution and I suspect this is the reason. Is there some sort of licensing issue involved that keeps me from having decent quality DVDs?

No idea why the ouput is "so poor" since you have neglected to include some basic information such as what you are doing, how you are doing it, etc.

Using VideoReDo, I burned 2 discs using the .TIVO and .MPEG files I created and both were fine. Only the Creator 2009 use of the .TIVO files caused bad output.

I've only recently switched to Roxio for burning. In the past I used other tools to convert the TIVO files to MPEG and then used MovieStudio, Nero, and MyDVD to make the discs - albiet on XP. So I don't feel like a Newbie - except in the use of Roxio Creator 2009.

Also, as I've mentioned before, Creator 2009 is the only thing that gives me a warning about Tivo resolutions. My working theory is they are downgraded in an effort to comply with some licensing agreement.

I am sorry I can't offer much help regarding any TiVo related since I don't have that. Other people using TiVo have not reported the problem you are experiencing although there are few people using that system on these boards. I don't understand what you mean by "downgraded"

When burning to DVD there is no change in resolution if the video is already 720x480 - but a lot of other parameters may be adjusted to fit 2 hours of video on a DVD that only holds 60 minutes at best quality.

BTWM what is the "warning about Tivo resolutions" that you are getting?

If you are using MyDVD, make sure, that in the Quality setting, at the lower part of the screen, is set to High Quality (HQ). The default setting in Fit to Disc, and the resultant quality is junk, IMHO.

No idea why the ouput is "so poor" since you have neglected to include some basic information such as what you are doing, how you are doing it, etc.

I'm using VideoConvert to select 4 .TIVO movies and downloaded to my PC using TivoDesktop. I created start and end points and trimmed the unselected stuff to reduce the length of the shows that that the total length of all 4 movies is under 120 minutes (118.xx to be exact). The total length of the movies is under 120 minutes and VideoConvert doesn't indicate that there are any changes to resolution or quality. There was a minor warning for GOP being set at 15.

I then created an ISO file and used the programs default settings for creating a DVD. I then loaded the ISO into a virtual DVD drive and played it and saw so much pixellation that it looked like DirectTV during a bad rain storm. I also burned a disc and checked on the TV and saw exactly the same thing as the PC. If I play the .TIVO directly, none of the pixellation is present.

As I mentioned in the starting post. If I convert to mpeg-2 first, quality isn't an issue. It's only when working with the .TIVO files and going directly to Disc do I see the pixellation issues.

Also, if I use VideoReDo TVSuite on the same 4 .TIVO files and repeat the same steps (as close as possible) the output looks great.

I'm using VideoConvert to select 4 .TIVO movies and downloaded to my PC using TivoDesktop. I created start and end points and trimmed the unselected stuff to reduce the length of the shows that that the total length of all 4 movies is under 120 minutes (118.xx to be exact). The total length of the movies is under 120 minutes and VideoConvert doesn't indicate that there are any changes to resolution or quality. There was a minor warning for GOP being set at 15.

I then created an ISO file and used the programs default settings for creating a DVD. I then loaded the ISO into a virtual DVD drive and played it and saw so much pixellation that it looked like DirectTV during a bad rain storm. I also burned a disc and checked on the TV and saw exactly the same thing as the PC. If I play the .TIVO directly, none of the pixellation is present.

As I mentioned in the starting post. If I convert to mpeg-2 first, quality isn't an issue. It's only when working with the .TIVO files and going directly to Disc do I see the pixellation issues.

Also, if I use VideoReDo TVSuite on the same 4 .TIVO files and repeat the same steps (as close as possible) the output looks great.

A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video, any more the video gets compressed with a loss of quality. 120 minutes of video will therefore have lots of compression and loss of quality. Did you burn the mpeg2 or VideoRedo files to an iso or DVD and play them?

If you are using MyDVD, make sure, that in the Quality setting, at the lower part of the screen, is set to High Quality (HQ). The default setting in Fit to Disc, and the resultant quality is junk, IMHO.

MyDVD is produced better quality than Creator 2009. The warning I get for Creator 2009 when I use TIVO files is:

"The maximum resolution of converted TIVO recordings is restricted. The resolution will be adjusted automatically."

By checking the different output options I found that the max resolution I can get is 480 x 320. However, if my source movied is non TIVO, the max output resolution I can locate is 1920 x 1080 (1080i).

Archived