• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Editing Video Clips

Dale8994

Question

Without creating a new production, is it possible to split large AVI files into smaller AVI files? I have several reasons for wanting to do this before I begin a production including: I want DVD backups of all my imported AVI files (as RAW as possible) with no files split randomly between discs; I don't want the output files to be proprietary files preventing me from opening them in other video applications; I want to sort, review, and rename the files before trying to work with them in a production; and so forth.

I understand this can be done by applications such a Ultra Video Splitter and others. However, can Roxio's products (such as Roxio Creator 2009) do this without the extra software purchase?

Thanks,

Dale

21 answers to this question

Click on the link in that last message. Will give you details on how to do that.

Thanks for reply. However, using VideoWave, how are Chapter Markers added manually?

Because of the complexity of all this, I'm trying to use one application at a time? Do I need to switch to MyDVD to do as suggested above? If so, how do I then again move back into VideoWave to continue with my Production?

Dale

Videowave is for EDITING. MyDVD is for authoring - creating the menu, buttons, chapters, etc.

Videowave does have a feature to create edit marks which will then be translated into Chapter marks in MyDVD. You can use the marks to also remove commercials or sections of video. Switch to Timeline. In the upper left corner of the Timeline, there is a + sign. Place the blue line where you want a marker and click that plus sign. When yo are finished editing, save the production.

When you add that production file to MyDVD, the marks will become chapters, but I think you still have to 'edit chapters'. Has been awhile since I've done that. Personally, I prefer to do this manually in MyDVD.

Thanks for reply. However, using VideoWave, how are Chapter Markers added manually?

Because of the complexity of all this, I'm trying to use one application at a time? Do I need to switch to MyDVD to do as suggested above? If so, how do I then again move back into VideoWave to continue with my Production?

Dale

If you want to use one application at a time, then forget about chapters at this stage in Videowave. Set the chapters when you are finished with VW and are ready to author the DVD using myDVD. Chapter creation should not be done while you are still editing your video.

Switching between the Videowave application and the myDVD application will lead to problems and is not recommended.

As I'm directed (by Roxio Creator 2009) to VideoWave each time I wish to develop or edit a production, the questions below relate specifically to VideoWave.

What do each of the icons located on the bottom right of the preview panel mean and how are they used? :huh:

[ Set Start Time - usually greyed out - how/where is this used?

] Set End Time - usually greyed out - how/where is this used?

|^ Select Object Start - how? when? why?

[>] Play Object - Play object?

^| Select Object End - how? when? why?

Roxio seems to refer only to PhotoSuite when discussing the above. However, as these icons are in VideoWave, I assume that they can be used here also.

Thanks for any help.

Dale

As I'm directed (by Roxio Creator 2009) to VideoWave each time I wish to develop or edit a production, the questions below relate specifically to VideoWave.

What do each of the icons located on the bottom right of the preview panel mean and how are they used? :huh:

Roxio seems to refer only to PhotoSuite when discussing the above. However, as these icons are in VideoWave, I assume that they can be used here also.

Thanks for any help.

Dale

Instead of starting a new thread, every time you post, you need to download the Users Manual and spend a little time, offline, reading. :blink::blink:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=43904

Instead of starting a new thread, every time you post, you need to download the Users Manual and spend a little time, offline, reading. :blink::blink:

The Users guide is useless :blink: . None of the questions Dale is asking is covered in the Help System or the Guide.

Thanks for any help.

Dale

None of those icons serve any purpose, maybe they are left over from "testing period" :rolleyes: They are found in the Trim option.

Without creating a new production, is it possible to split large AVI files into smaller AVI files? I have several reasons for wanting to do this before I begin a production including: I want DVD backups of all my imported AVI files (as RAW as possible) with no files split randomly between discs; I don't want the output files to be proprietary files preventing me from opening them in other video applications; I want to sort, review, and rename the files before trying to work with them in a production; and so forth.

I understand this can be done by applications such a Ultra Video Splitter and others. However, can Roxio's products (such as Roxio Creator 2009) do this without the extra software purchase?

Thanks,

Dale

Open VideoWave, click on File/New Production, and pick 16:9 or 4:3, whichever is correct for the type of .avi file you are using.

Now, bring in your .avi file, then click on the Timeline view. Move the "scrubber" to the end of whichever part you want to save as a smaller file, right click at that point, and click on Split. Now, highlight the part that you don't want in this smaller file, right click on it, and click Delete. You now have your smaller file.

Next, click on File/Output As. You will get a popup asking you if you want to save your production. I always say No.

When the next screen comes up, in the Purpose, dropdown box, select All.

In the Video Quality dropdown, select DV format AVI.

In the File Name box, give this clip a name, and make sure that it is a different name than your original video clip. Also, pick a location where you want it to go. It is best to make a new folder on your hard drive and save it to that new folder.

Next, click Create Video File. There will be no encoding, and you will now have a new, smaller video clip.

Go back to VideoWave, and start a new project, bring in your video again, split at the beginning of the next portion that you want to keep, and go through the same motions.

Repeat as necessary.

VideoWave:

Once a production is started, what is the proper way to delete a section from an imported video clip? An example might be removing a blurry section, a poorly performed zoom section, etc.

Thanks,

Dale

VideoWave:

Once a production is started, what is the proper way to delete a section from an imported video clip? An example might be removing a blurry section, a poorly performed zoom section, etc.

Thanks,

Dale

Split the video at the start of the "bad" section and again at the end of the bad section. Then select the "bad" section and delete.

Here is a link on another way of doing it.

I'll attempt to extend more courtesy to you than demonstrated in your reply.

Perhaps, if you'll be so kind, you can show me where the information I have apparently missed is located in the 'Users <sic> Manual. I've read the Users' Manual included with my software plus the Help information and as of yet I've been able to find any of the answers to questions I've posed on this forum. Is there another Users' Manual I can download which contains additional information? Please direct me to the download of this 'extra' information, if such exists.

I came here looking for help with using my latest Roxio product. Have I come to the wrong place?

Sincerely,

Dale

The Users guide is useless :blink: . None of the questions Dale is asking is covered in the Help System or the Guide.

None of those icons serve any purpose, maybe they are left over from "testing period" :rolleyes: They are found in the Trim option.

Thanks 'myguggi' for the reply and information. At least now I know that I'm not somehow overlooking a great mass of information located somewhere in some mysterious place. ;-)

David Pogue and others used to write 'The Missing Manual' series. I wonder if anyone has considered writing one for Roxio's Suite?

Dale

Darn too many things at one time! :angry:

Try this one.

Hey, that's a good video which explains a number of things I needed. Has the author put together anything else to help with Roxio Creator 2009?

Thanks,

Dale

I'll attempt to extend more courtesy to you than demonstrated in your reply.

Perhaps, if you'll be so kind, you can show me where the information I have apparently missed is located in the 'Users <sic> Manual. I've read the Users' Manual included with my software plus the Help information and as of yet I've been able to find any of the answers to questions I've posed on this forum. Is there another Users' Manual I can download which contains additional information? Please direct me to the download of this 'extra' information, if such exists.

I came here looking for help with using my latest Roxio product. Have I come to the wrong place?

Sincerely,

Dale

Thanks 'myguggi' for the reply and information. At least now I know that I'm not somehow overlooking a great mass of information located somewhere in some mysterious place. ;-)

David Pogue and others used to write 'The Missing Manual' series. I wonder if anyone has considered writing one for Roxio's Suite?

Dale

Hey, that's a good video which explains a number of things I needed. Has the author put together anything else to help with Roxio Creator 2009?

Thanks,

Dale

Have you looked through the pinned "Tips & Tricks" or "How To " forums for the different Roxio versions? There is a lot of information there. Most of us have learned the ins & outs through experimenting.

Steve has a whole bunch of videos at that site. Did you look at any of them?

As a new user I will give you another perspective. I did as well quickly determine that the User's Manual didn't really address much. However, what it did is provide me an overall insight of how each application is to be used and gave me an overall knowledge of at least where to start looking for certain features, etc. and determine if I needed to go to the forums for an answer.

In fact, I actually prefer this method of learning the software because I receive to complete, concise, and personalized answered from knowledgable users of the software. This is better than any user's manual could provide.

Have you looked through the pinned "Tips & Tricks" or "How To " forums for the different Roxio versions? There is a lot of information there. Most of us have learned the ins & outs through experimenting.

Steve has a whole bunch of videos at that site. Did you look at any of them?

I'm off to check them out now. Thanks.

Split the video at the start of the "bad" section and again at the end of the bad section. Then select the "bad" section and delete.

Here is a link on another way of doing it.

Hi:

Thanks for the reply and information. However, because of Roxio's minimal Help system, I'm unsure how to proceed as you've suggested.

Can you clarify how to: "Split the video at the start...", and then how to "...select the 'bad' section and delete."

Thanks,

Dale

Archived